Leury not on OD Roster per DVS

Vote4Pedro

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Exactly. OK can cover 7 positions and can hit to a 80 wRC+ -- valuable backup.

39? Not even roster-able. I don't care if he's Brooks Robinson at 7 positions.

Well, he’s a career 75 wRC+ player and been over 90 since 2017, so chances are that he’s closer to that than 39 in 2023. He still sucks, but could still be useful as 26th man. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Well, he’s a career 75 wRC+ player and been over 90 since 2017, so chances are that he’s closer to that than 39 in 2023. He still sucks, but could still be useful as 26th man. 

Exactly, he had a 97 wRC+ as recently as 2021. That's why you give him a couple months to start the season no matter what.

Maybe he really did fall off a cliff in 2022 and will never be the same (mediocre) player he was before that. Or maybe he just had a bad season, where he was overused and hurt the majority of the time. I really don't see any point in eating $10M without at least trying to find out if he still has something left in the tank that's useful. It's not like there's some uber-prospect banging on the door that Leury is blocking - we're talking about Romy Gonzalez or a bunch of past-their-prime vets that haven't been good enough to earn an MLB deal.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

ZIPS has him projected at a 80 wRC+. I'd go ahead and bet 100 bucks on the under there. Part of the problem with his value is that while he can cover the positions he is now old enough to where he's negative run value at pretty much all of them. His versatility was worth something when he was 28 (plus 4.4 runs according to FG so almost half a WAR right there). Not so much as he approaches 32 and has lost a step. ZIPS thinks he's basically a negative run or two defensively.

1 hour ago, Tnetennba said:

It’s probably just more talking to guys that have worked with Grifol and not indicative of him landing a spot on the roster, but part of me does find it curious. 

I’ll take him if it means Garcia is shown the DFA door.

2 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

It’s probably just more talking to guys that have worked with Grifol and not indicative of him landing a spot on the roster, but part of me does find it curious. 

Yeah it's just a new face to make familiar to Sox fans and interesting because he is hitting well so it's a ST story. Long way to go.

It's like people thinking Burger deserves a roster spot because of 2 early ST HR's . At this point Alberto is more useful than Burger just because his glove works.

Sorry Jake learn left field , make yourself tradable.

I wonder if you keep putting a guy in bad positions if that doesn't cause his stats to plummet? He played six different positions last year. He did the s%*# work when the team needed it. I'd like to see him have a season where he plays a couple dozen games at second, a couple dozen games at short, pitch runs for guys late in games, maybe plays a few in center. But keep him out of the corners. Keep him out of the top six in the order. He has managed to have a MLB career by working his ass off and filling a lot of different spots for a franchise with an injury problem that needs someone like him. The worse thing Larussa did was defend him.  If Tony said the guy was a piece of s%*# he wished wasn't on the team we'd be wearing LG jerseys. 

10 hours ago, Texsox said:

I wonder if you keep putting a guy in bad positions if that doesn't cause his stats to plummet? He played six different positions last year. He did the s%*# work when the team needed it. I'd like to see him have a season where he plays a couple dozen games at second, a couple dozen games at short, pitch runs for guys late in games, maybe plays a few in center. But keep him out of the corners. Keep him out of the top six in the order. He has managed to have a MLB career by working his ass off and filling a lot of different spots for a franchise with an injury problem that needs someone like him. The worse thing Larussa did was defend him.  If Tony said the guy was a piece of s%*# he wished wasn't on the team we'd be wearing LG jerseys. 

TBH it would've been one of the few things I would've been in Tony's corner for. 

1 hour ago, pcq said:

If Ramos has earned a spot legit then Leury gets a Greyhound ticket and Yo might become a part-timer. No rush to judgment but talent must prevail over aggravated mopery. 

Ramos has barely played in AA. I doubt there is any chance he earns a spot legit or otherwise in spring training. Moncada may not be the starter in 2024, but I think he's safe for this year.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Timmy U said:

Ramos has barely played in AA. I doubt there is any chance he earns a spot legit or otherwise in spring training. Moncada may not be the starter in 2024, but I think he's safe for this year.

Ramos is only 20. Not often we have a new guy turning heads but it is nice to see. 

• Vote4Pedro changed the title to Leury not on OD Roster per DVS