Leury not on OD Roster per DVS

Vote4Pedro

1 minute ago, ChiSoxTrojan said:

I wouldn't be all broken up by it, but it would be nice to have them around in case of an injury to one of the starters. Who's the next man up besides them in the OF, Haseley?

That's what I would guess. Personally, I would take Haseley over any of them, 

2 minutes ago, flavum said:

No Leury again today. Road game vs Brewers. Split squad tomorrow.

I just listened to that podcast, and if Chuck and Guff have any real insight into Sox camp, I agree with you that Leury looks like a goner.  Looking at today's lineup and reading the tea leaves, I'm giving the bench spots to Sheets, Alberto, and Haseley.  Things could change obviously, but those 3 plus Seby wouldn't surprise me at this point.

1 hour ago, flavum said:

No Leury again today. Road game vs Brewers. Split squad tomorrow.

I don't know that it's been reported but I think Leury is injured or dealing with pain/discomfort.

I think if he starts the year on the IL, they will give him a chance once he is healthy. If he plays like he did last year they cut him by the ASB or sooner provided we are otherwise healthy. 

40 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

There’s no way I would pick Haseley over Billy. Haseley doesn’t even compliment this roster well and doesn’t have the speed or defense that Billy does. 

In the old days of 10 pitchers/15 position players, Hamilton makes some sense as a pinch runner/defensive replacement. However, whoever takes that spot is going to start twice a week. Do you really want Hamilton getting 10+ ABs a week? I do not. But that's what makes the game interesting.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Timmy U said:

In the old days of 10 pitchers/15 position players, Hamilton makes some sense as a pinch runner/defensive replacement. However, whoever takes that spot is going to start twice a week. Do you really want Hamilton getting 10+ ABs a week? I do not. But that's what makes the game interesting.

I don't want Haseley taking those at bats either. I still blame him for kneecapping Mendick last year.

1 hour ago, Timmy U said:

...or how much value does Grifol place on defensive replacements and/or extra innings ghost runner?

3 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

Well s%*#, looks like we’ve been reading too much into his lack of playing time.  

Cmon people. No matter what you hope, no matter what makes sense, the White Sox will play him as a “Swiss army knife / Jack of all trades / indispensable master of so many positions” until he is so embarrassingly bad for months that it is untenable. And by months I mean into May of next year when they finally eat the last 4 million and DFA. 

In other words, this cheapskate organization’s bread and butter approach for going on 40 years with players like Leury - locking down multiple years at somewhat cheap money for a below replacement, management friendly, low ceiling, “high floor” (if this was AAAA) player

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Cmon people. No matter what you hope, no matter what makes sense, the White Sox will play him as a “Swiss army knife / Jack of all trades / indispensable master of so many positions” until he is so embarrassingly bad for months that it is untenable. And by months I mean into May of next year when they finally eat the last 4 million and DFA. 

In other words, this cheapskate organization’s bread and butter approach for going on 40 years with players like Leury - locking down multiple years at somewhat cheap money for a below replacement, management friendly, low ceiling, “high floor” (if this was AAAA) player

You're harshing my mellow.

I don’t know if it has been mentioned here, but it looks to me like the 40 man roster is full.  Sox will need to add a few guys, namely Colas, and keeping Leury around makes that more difficult.  Hendriks and Crochet could be put on the 60 day IL, and maybe they are holding that until they absolutely have to, but it will be interesting how they work it. 

12 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I don’t know if it has been mentioned here, but it looks to me like the 40 man roster is full.  Sox will need to add a few guys, namely Colas, and keeping Leury around makes that more difficult.  Hendriks and Crochet could be put on the 60 day IL, and maybe they are holding that until they absolutely have to, but it will be interesting how they work it. 

Yeah I think Hendriks is probably 60-day bound. Crochet, probably not unless there’s a setback. 

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Yeah I think Hendriks is probably 60-day bound. Crochet, probably not unless there’s a setback. 

Hendriks has been throwing bullpen sessions and Lance Lynn just said a few days ago after speaking with him he could return in May, that may play a factor in the roster decisions. 

Off the top of my head, if you DFA Alexy, Padilla, return Avila to the Giants, and put Hendricks on the 60 day, you can add Colas, and 3 from the group of Alberto, Hamilton, Haseley, and Marisnick. Should be plenty of room without losing anyone who looks close to helping you.

3 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Off the top of my head, if you DFA Alexy, Padilla, return Avila to the Giants, and put Hendricks on the 60 day, you can add Colas, and 3 from the group of Alberto, Hamilton, Haseley, and Marisnick. Should be plenty of room without losing anyone who looks close to helping you.

They don’t need 3 of those guys. Alberto and an OF.

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Hendriks has been throwing bullpen sessions and Lance Lynn just said a few days ago after speaking with him he could return in May, that may play a factor in the roster decisions. 

Hendriks said he thought he could be back in May, Lance scoffed at that in the podcast interview and threw June out there. We know Liam is super competitive, but i think it would still make sense to place him on the 60.

Edited by Sleepy Harold
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Hendriks said he thought he could be back in May, Lance scoffed at that in the podcast interview and threw June out there. We know Liam is super competitive, but i think it would still make sense to place him on the 60.

Probably just focusing on a return helps Liam cope better with the whole treatment for cancer. Whenever he comes back or even is he doesn't, I just hope he is healthy in himself.

• Like 3
  • Hawk 1

• Vote4Pedro changed the title to Leury not on OD Roster per DVS