Barstool Baseball Presents: A Conversation With Chicago White Sox Shortstop Tim Anderson.

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

I'm surprised no one has called out the bit around the 21:00 minute mark.

If Tim doesn't get an extension by this time next year, I worry that he will be insufferable.  2 full years remaining on what essentially was only a 1 year extension and he is already taking shots.  

Anyone else on the roster talks about Benintendi's deal like that... I don't think it goes well.

Tim clearly says he's been "knocking on that door" (asking for a new deal).  "But it is a shame it be like that" (that the Sox don't do long term deals).  Then immediately says they just signed "who - for what". 

You can clearly see where his mind went: he was asking for an extension and they spent the money on this dude.  Completely disrespectful to a teammate.  

Nothing Tim said was incorrect, and we all know, everyone probably would think this way if in his shoes, but it is just bad for a teammate to say these things out loud.  And someone in the room might have agreed because he does say "I'll shut up", almost like someone told him to.

TA also ironically points out he needs more than that (5/75) because he is in the SS market.  I found this amusing.  He better hope he is still in that market, because I think the guy is a LF which would put him in that identical market.  With Benintendi as the closest comp.  Can't wait. 

Edited by GREEDY
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, GREEDY said:

I'm surprised no one has called out the bit around the 21:00 minute mark.

If Tim doesn't get an extension by this time next year, I worry that he will be insufferable.  2 full years remaining on what essentially was only a 1 year extension and he is already taking shots.  

Anyone else on the roster talks about Benintendi's deal like that... I don't think it goes well.

Tim clearly says he's been "knocking on that door" (asking for a new deal).  "But it is a shame it be like that" (that the Sox don't do long term deals).  Then immediately says they just signed "who - for what". 

You can clearly see where his mind went: he was asking for an extension and they spent the money on this dude.  Completely disrespectful to a teammate.  

Nothing Tim said was incorrect, and we all know, everyone probably would think this way if in his shoes, but it is just bad for a teammate to say these things out loud.  And someone in the room might have agreed because he does say "I'll shut up", almost like someone told him to.

TA also ironically points out he needs more than that (5/75) because he is in the SS market.  I found this amusing.  He better hope he is still in that market, because I think the guy is a LF which would put him in that identical market.  With Benintendi as the closest comp.  Can't wait. 

I actually disagree here. He agreed to the contract. That's on him. It was the same thing with Scotty Pippen. He signed the deal. The next year, payrolls skyrocketed. Sorry dude. You agreed to the terms, you abide by them. If he should be pissed at anybody it should be his agent.

Edited by ScooterMcGuire
  • Like 5

16 minutes ago, ScooterMcGuire said:

I actually disagree here. He agreed to the contract. That's on him. It was the same thing with Scotty Pippen. He signed the deal. The next year, payrolls skyrocketed. Sorry dude. You agreed to the terms, you abide by them. If he should be pissed at anybody it should be his agent.

Not sure what you think I believe.... but I'm firmly in the camp that he shouldn't be making these comments. 

In a season where he may or may not have missed games for personal reasons.  With 2 years plus and a QO standing between him and free agency... he is completely out of line going public. Now, I think I'd be jealous seeing the money shortstops got this offseason.  And I think it would be tempting for him to wonder if he'd get a 9 figure extension offer if he were with a different organization, but he has to be smarter than verbalizing those feelings.  Especially when the club thought enough of him to give him "set for life" money early in his career, when many other clubs wouldn't have done that.

I think his shot against his new teammate, calling him great, then clearly correcting to "good" and essentially questioning "why him and not me" is bad.  And the fact that this still hasn't taken off on the forums or sox twitter shows me that fans love him, want to ignore his short comings and only care about bashing ownership and the front office.  

• Like 3
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

Not sure what you think I believe.... but I'm firmly in the camp that he shouldn't be making these comments. 

In a season where he may or may not have missed games for personal reasons.  With 2 years plus and a QO standing between him and free agency... he is completely out of line going public. Now, I think I'd be jealous seeing the money shortstops got this offseason.  And I think it would be tempting for him to wonder if he'd get a 9 figure extension offer if he were with a different organization, but he has to be smarter than verbalizing those feelings.  Especially when the club thought enough of him to give him "set for life" money early in his career, when many other clubs wouldn't have done that.

I think his shot against his new teammate, calling him great, then clearly correcting to "good" and essentially questioning "why him and not me" is bad.  And the fact that this still hasn't taken off on the forums or sox twitter shows me that fans love him, want to ignore his short comings and only care about bashing ownership and the front office.  

Or not listening to the podcast.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

53 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

Sorry I read your post from a different POV and took it as you were defending him. We're in agreement 

The comments about Benintendi are a bit surprising. Pretty much saying Benintendi is just a good player, but Tim is way better and he should get paid. What the hell does he expect? He signed a contract before he was a sure thing. Of course he is underpaid. That's on him. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

In 2012, the Royals signed Perez to what became one of the most team-friendly contracts in baseball. He'll earn $7 million through the first five years, and after that, he has three club-option years worth a combined $14.75 million, per Baseball-Reference.com.

https://theathletic.com/2467614/2021/03/22/mccullough-the-royals-did-right-by-salvador-perez-was-it-the-right-thing-for-the-royals/

See things JR would never in a million years authorize for his players for $300, Alex.

3 hours ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

He may be jealous of those shortstops’ deals, but he better dramatically increase his production if he wants to be comparable. Correa at 39.5 career WAR through age 27 compared to 18.2 through age 29 for TA, for example

I don't care what he says about his contract. Just go out there and perform. He's the one that signed the original deal, a deal that even if he completely stunk as a MLB player would make sure him and his family were setup for life. He knowingly took the downside risk off the table and in exchange the club got the upside value.

He needs a strong season not only for himself but for the club. TA as just an average SS isn't going to work. Hit some HRs, you'll get paid. Can't have a .94 ISO again. Hold up, let me write that again. He had a .94 ISO last year. Bro what?