Um...White Sox Winner?

hogan873

I couldn't watch the game but followed along online.

I think Cease will always give this team a chance to win, even when he doesn't have his best stuff.

Hanser is already better than Leury...offensively anyway.

Lopez nailed it down.  That's encouraging.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

I couldn't watch the game but followed along online.

I think Cease will always give this team a chance to win, even when he doesn't have his best stuff.

Hanser is already better than Leury...offensively anyway.

Lopez nailed it down.  That's encouraging.

Never a doubt with gonzer.

This sox team still feels...exactly like the sox of the last few years. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

A really sloppy game with a lot of bad swings and mental errors. A win is a win but this team, as noted, looks pretty much exactly like last year's: a .500 outfit, at best.

Well, Robert is playing like a superstar, so that's a pretty big difference from last years club.  

47 minutes ago, roncag said:

Defense left something to be desired. The pitching was competent! I'll take the dub.

Defense left a lot to be desired.  Hanser giveth and Hanser taketh away twice.  His bad throw to third led to Anderson getting hurt.  Andrus another error.  Sheets committed two mistakes on the same play.  We seem to have many players playing out of position, and the Defense other than Moncada and Robert very shaky.

Just now, Lip Man 1 said:

Maybe because the other options were either untried or not good?

It’s just another example of the organization failing to address the spot via homegrown player(s) or via FA/Trade, they love to scrape gum off the bottom of a table 

Just now, ShoeLessRob said:

It’s just another example of the organization failing to address the spot via homegrown player(s) or via FA/Trade, they love to scrape gum off the bottom of a table 

Can't argue with you there, the lack of depth/talent at all levels is astonishing. 

Segura is hitting just as poorly as Elvis for three times the price. Popular trade target Kolten Wong has been even worse.

It's not like there was some surefire 4 WAR 2B on the market, it's a low ceiling position across the league with like 5 really good players, and none of them were realistically obtainable. Frankly, even if they were, I'd probably rather put resources elsewhere.  MI is the deepest part of the system.

Elvis has extra value to this team because he can backup Tim comfortably at SS. With someone else in that spot, do we feel pressured to keep Leury for vet SS insurance? I'd rather spend ~$9mil on Elvis + eating Leury's contract than keep Leury and spend that $9mil on Segura who currently has more K's than total bases.

Romy and/or Sosa will likely force the issue soon enough, and Hanser and/or Elvis are easy to part with given their low cost. It's really not worth getting your undies in a bunch at this point.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

Segura is hitting just as poorly as Elvis for three times the price. Popular trade target Kolten Wong has been even worse.

It's not like there was some surefire 4 WAR 2B on the market, it's a low ceiling position across the league with like 5 really good players, and none of them were realistically obtainable. Frankly, even if they were, I'd probably rather put resources elsewhere.  MI is the deepest part of the system.

Elvis has extra value to this team because he can backup Tim comfortably at SS. With someone else in that spot, do we feel pressured to keep Leury for vet SS insurance? I'd rather spend ~$9mil on Elvis + eating Leury's contract than keep Leury and spend that $9mil on Segura who currently has more K's than total bases.

Romy and/or Sosa will likely force the issue soon enough, and Hanser and/or Elvis are easy to part with given their low cost. It's really not worth getting your undies in a bunch at this point.

This x a million. Elvis hasn’t been great, but it’s $3M and all the other options are still here and remain options. Romy and Sosa and JRod haven’t gone anywhere. Elvis will need to start hitting or he’s going to lose PT. But even if he doesn’t, he still has value on this team as a bench piece for the pittance he’s getting paid. 

Edited by ChiSox59

2 hours ago, ShoeLessRob said:

I think they are giving the homegrown players a chance to mature. Andrus will be here a year or even less.

2 hours ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

The board could always use another guy who can look at the big picture like yourself without any snarkiness to him.

• Thanks 1