4/11- Sox at Twins, 6:40

flavum

1 minute ago, Timmy U said:

Seriously. I’d rather decide the game via home run derby.

Blame it on the idiot commissioner who hates the game.

Why they don't do it like in japan, after a certain number of innings the game is a tie, is beyond me.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Vote4Pedro said:

Should have gone graveman in 9th and Reylo in 10th but nah let’s go w the AAA guy in the 10th with no wiggle room 

Should have just stuck with Reylo in 10th. It was a back to back, yes, but He threw only 10 pitches, isn’t pitching tomorrow regardless and Thursday is an offday. We probably lose anyway, but going with Scholtens was terrible. 

Real problem is Colas and to a lesser extent Romy not getting that run from third in. Romy looked awful at the plate today - totally overmatched. 

Disappointing loss. Roberts home run was absolutely electric after Duran’s super over the top entrance. Was really fun, but boys just needed to execute in the 10th. Very little chance to win when you don’t score as the road team in extras in the Manfred ball era. 

20 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I just don’t get why you leave Alberto in and exit Sosa. Lenyn is an excellent defender at 2nd or 3rd and let Romy man the other position. Are they going to bring him up to sit again?

Yah, when they subbed Alberto in for Burger in the bottom of 9th for defense, I turned my dad and said that’s an interesting move. Burger is certainly not a good defender, but Sox clearly think Alberto is better. Not sure I agree based on the extremely SSS of watching Alberto. They made the move before the pinch hit the next half inning. Sosa there would have made so much more sense. Shift Romy to 3B if you prefer. Another puzzling move by Pedro. 

I’m trying to quote Lip’s post but I can’t for some reason.

Anyway, I did not know that.  I just looked up their standings, which show no ties.  So I looked at game by game from last season.  Sure enough, after 12 innings it’s a tie.  Apparently it doesn’t count in the standings.  Appears to be a no contest.  I assume the stats all count.  Interesting.  

1 hour ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Why is everyone blaming Scholtenz? Dude let up a sac bunt and that was it

Not blaming him, but when you have the most expensive bullpen in the league you shouldn’t be going to an AAA pitcher to basically shove down a major league lineup like that. Regardless of the bunt, the chances he escapes without giving up a hit under that kind of pressure is slim at best. Not his fault but he didn’t make the club for a reason and isn’t really here for the long term. Try to put the guy in a position to succeed at least

24 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Fundamentals win or lose games are the Sox are absolutely brutal at them and have been for years regardless of who the manager is. Either the coaching staffs can't teach it properly or the players are to "baseball stupid" to learn it.

I'm guessing it is probably a combination of both. 

Sox got a great start from Lynn and relief pitching was exceptional. Reylo has been insane so far. Many posters here called for him to be DFAed more times than one could count over the last few years.  As far as fundamentals. How about Andrus catch and throw, Vaughn snagging a line drive, and that relay from Colas to Romy to Alberto?  All in all a pretty solid game defensively except obviously the last play, which probably wouldn't made a difference (Twins would have had a man on third with one out and then if they didn't score, home at-bats in the bottom of the next inning).

Tough game to lose, but no reason to reach broad conclusions about the coaching staff or the franchise from it. At least wait until tomorrow  to see if Gio gives up the ghost.

Edited by tray
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

I prefer a DH that can actually hit.

3 run homer yesterday....the law of recency and all.  But I agree with your sentiments to get rid of him sooner rather than later.  Unfortunately injuries (and Pedro's fondness for him) are gonna delay that.

3 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

If they are serious about winning, Hanser is DFA’d by morning.  I’m not convinced they are serious though. 

I mean there’s just no one to replace him. Maybe by Friday if Eloy returns. Bet Sosa goes down tho.

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I mean there’s just no one to replace him. Maybe by Friday if Eloy returns. Bet Sosa goes down tho.

Yeah injury might save his spot for now.  But dude is unplayable in the field.  Just downright brutal. 

53 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

If they are serious about winning, Hanser is DFA’d by morning.  I’m not convinced they are serious though. 

Alberto and Grifol go too far back.

And he basically was the main offensive contributor last game.

And they know Burger can't play 3B...and Romy's not long for the big leagues.

Which pushes you all the way down to Remillard/Rodriguez/Ramos.

This is a time where they definitely could have used Danny Mendick.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Should have just stuck with Reylo in 10th. It was a back to back, yes, but He threw only 10 pitches, isn’t pitching tomorrow regardless and Thursday is an offday. We probably lose anyway, but going with Scholtens was terrible. 

Real problem is Colas and to a lesser extent Romy not getting that run from third in. Romy looked awful at the plate today - totally overmatched. 

Disappointing loss. Roberts home run was absolutely electric after Duran’s super over the top entrance. Was really fun, but boys just needed to execute in the 10th. Very little chance to win when you don’t score as the road team in extras in the Manfred ball era. 

Also Burger failing to get a run in , in the first inning with men on second and third and one out hurt as well.  Colas does well against mediocre/average pitching but is overmatched by the better pitchers.  Alberto D is bad: two bad throws in two games in a row.  It is tough to win with a lineup of Robert and a bunch of subs, without TA, Yoan on defense and Eloy.  

13 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Play Romy at 3 rd, Andrus SS and Sosa 2 nd. Alberto at 3 rd is our worse option.   His bad throw to TA yesterday led to his injury.

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Colas and Romy are AAA players at this time and are overmatched against good MLB pitching.

If you're a fan between 32-50, you've seen all this before. This is an exact repeat of the stars and scrubs era from 1995-2005 or so. 

We got some good players, we also have too many scrubs. add it all up and it's a mediocre club with some fun and frustrating games in a season. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

If you're a fan between 32-50, you've seen all this before. This is an exact repeat of the stars and scrubs era from 1995-2005 or so. 

We got some good players, we also have too many scrubs. add it all up and it's a mediocre club with some fun and frustrating games in a season. 

2013-2016

That era at least had the 2000, 2003 and 2005 teams that were VERY entertaining for fans.   Plus, you had the culmination of all the drafts and trades producing the #1 farm system in MLB heading into 2000.  Ironically, other than Buehrle/Crede/Rowand, most of the 2005 team came from outside moves...but it certainly wasn't that 2000 group of top prospects headlined by Rauch, Wright, Wells and Borchard.

• Quin locked this topic
  • Capn12 unpinned this topic