Jump to content

Is it really that shameful to root for the Cubs?


ron883
 Share

Recommended Posts

The Sox are a pathetic dog s%*# organization that does not care about the fans. In fact, they hate their fans. They f*** up over and over again and never learn from their mistakes. Jerry cares about loyalty and making money over winning. 

f*** this team. The Cubs are a young team with a brighter future than the Sox. Why bother rooting for a hopeless Sox organization when you can enjoy a different major league team in the city? I'm taking the Cubs as my alternate (or you could say main tbh) team this year. f*** the haters. You can root for whoever you want. If you want a better local team to root for, root for the Cubs. 

  • TLR 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Trolling much?

Fathom?

I don't think any born and bred Sox fan is every going to CHEER for the Cubs...maybe if they were in the World Series against the Yankees or Red Sox, but not even then.

 

At any rate, the ONLY reason to support the Cubs (especially financially) is to exert some type of pressure on JR/Hahn to get their collective heads out of their asses.  Highly unlikely to make much of a difference with the media rights money becoming increasingly more important than ticket sales/walk-ups.

 

 

This thread would be more germane were/if the Sox to ever leave the city of Chicago for somewhere well BEYOND the immediate suburbs...and the franchise name was changed from White Sox.

Edited by caulfield12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Reinsdorf doesn’t care about the Cubs because it doesn’t matter how they compete with the Sox  because he does not get hurt by bad attendance other than maybe lower consumption of the concessions. He does not have to worry about attendance because of the deal he has with the Illinois sports authority. If attendance drops below a certain level, he gets compensated. So no matter how many people do or don’t go to the games he’s guaranteed not to lose money. That was the deal that he made with Daily and Thompson to keep them in Chicago.  And he did deliver a World Series to us, which is something many of us thought we would never see.

Edited by Thesieve30
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Thesieve30 said:

Reinsdorf doesn’t care about the Cubs because it doesn’t matter how they compete with the Sox  because he does not get hurt by bad attendance other than maybe lower consumption of the concessions. He does not have to worry about attendance because of the deal he has with the Illinois sports authority. If attendance drops below a certain level, he gets compensated. So no matter how many people do or don’t go to the games he’s guaranteed not to lose money. That was the deal that he made with Daily and Thompson to keep them in Chicago.  And he did deliver a World Series to us, which is something many of us thought we would never see.

It was a ridiculously low number though....something like either 800,000 or 1.2 million.

Would have to look it up again.

 

 

"According to a 2017 financial report, ISFA’s combined fund deficits stand at $207.5 million. And taxpayers are still on the hook for debt repayments following a series of renovations at Guaranteed Rate Field and an overhaul of Soldier Field completed in 2003.

Through Chicago hotel tax revenue and a combined $10 million in annual state and local subsidies, taxpayers can expect to continue shouldering these costs for decades. More recently, a cancelled concert at Guaranteed Rate Field cost taxpayers more than $1 million in 2017, when ISFA failed to obtain a full refund for the $1.6 million spent on the event.

Chicago taxpayers are also picking up the tab for stadiums outside ISFA’s purview. For example, the recent construction of Wintrust Arena, home to DePaul University’s basketball teams and WNBA’s Chicago Sky, cost taxpayers $82.5 million."

https://www.illinoispolicy.org/30-years-later-taxpayers-still-on-the-hook-for-white-sox-stadium/

Edited by caulfield12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

"The year 2008 marked the end of the organization’s 18-year rent-free agreement with Illinois. The team would only pay a standard clear-cut $1.5 million in property taxes. Reinsdorf was allowed to keep all money grossed in concessions, parking, tickets and so on. This new deal negotiated the terms that the White Sox would begin to pay a base rent to the state of Illinois. The amount they would pay was agreed to be based on annual attendance number. If 1.9 million fans or more attended, Reinsdorf would have to pay somewhere between $3-9 per ticket sold that year.

"According to Shia Kapos of chicagobusiness.com, “the paid attendance (in 2010) was 2,074,011, exceeding the trigger by 149,011. So Mr. Reinsdorf paid $455,974, or about $3 per ticket.”"

Adding that to the $1.5 million, it barely seems like anything. Most of the 40-man-roster if not the eternity was paid more than $2 million that year.

The last time the White Sox hosted more than 1.9 million fans was 2013. Reinsdorf has not paid a ticket fee in six years. Meanwhile, he keeps all the money grossed in concessions, merchandise, parking, and even tickets.

Most teams pay anywhere between $10 to 20 million for their lease, but not smart businessman Reinsdorf. He can save a couple million by not allowing the team to essentially get better. Because the better the team gets, the more tickets they sell. The more tickets they sell means a higher attendance rate, higher than 1.9 million. That means Reinsdorf has to go into his own pocket to pay the state of Illinois for his franchise to play on the south side of Chicago.

This is why it took so long for the team to finally strip down and start over in 2016."

https://southsideshowdown.com/2019/02/22/white-sox-exposing-jerry-reinsdorf/

Edited by caulfield12
  • Fire 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So the White Sox had to pay a "penalty" of $294,000 to IFSA last year for succeeding with an almost 25% increase to 1.98 million in attendance in 2022...

Seems the goal is definitely is to get it back down to 1.6 million (2021) levels with how they've operated over the last 12 months, lol.

 

Of course, the premise here is dumb because all those tickets, parking, souvenirs and concessions are well going to exceed a loss of $3 per ticket over 1.9 million in attendance!!!!!

Econ 101

Edited by caulfield12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Thesieve30 said:

Reinsdorf doesn’t care about the Cubs because it doesn’t matter how they compete with the Sox  because he does not get hurt by bad attendance other than maybe lower consumption of the concessions. He does not have to worry about attendance because of the deal he has with the Illinois sports authority. If attendance drops below a certain level, he gets compensated. So no matter how many people do or don’t go to the games he’s guaranteed not to lose money. That was the deal that he made with Daily and Thompson to keep them in Chicago.  And he did deliver a World Series to us, which is something many of us thought we would never see.

The deal was made with Governor Thompson and Mayor Harold Washington, and it’s Daley not Daily.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

"The year 2008 marked the end of the organization’s 18-year rent-free agreement with Illinois. The team would only pay a standard clear-cut $1.5 million in property taxes. Reinsdorf was allowed to keep all money grossed in concessions, parking, tickets and so on. This new deal negotiated the terms that the White Sox would begin to pay a base rent to the state of Illinois. The amount they would pay was agreed to be based on annual attendance number. If 1.9 million fans or more attended, Reinsdorf would have to pay somewhere between $3-9 per ticket sold that year.

"According to Shia Kapos of chicagobusiness.com, “the paid attendance (in 2010) was 2,074,011, exceeding the trigger by 149,011. So Mr. Reinsdorf paid $455,974, or about $3 per ticket.”"

Adding that to the $1.5 million, it barely seems like anything. Most of the 40-man-roster if not the eternity was paid more than $2 million that year.

The last time the White Sox hosted more than 1.9 million fans was 2013. Reinsdorf has not paid a ticket fee in six years. Meanwhile, he keeps all the money grossed in concessions, merchandise, parking, and even tickets.

Most teams pay anywhere between $10 to 20 million for their lease, but not smart businessman Reinsdorf. He can save a couple million by not allowing the team to essentially get better. Because the better the team gets, the more tickets they sell. The more tickets they sell means a higher attendance rate, higher than 1.9 million. That means Reinsdorf has to go into his own pocket to pay the state of Illinois for his franchise to play on the south side of Chicago.

This is why it took so long for the team to finally strip down and start over in 2016."

https://southsideshowdown.com/2019/02/22/white-sox-exposing-jerry-reinsdorf/

The Sox drew just over 2 million in 2022, 2,009,359 to be exact.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve been a Sox fan since 1952 and a lot of hate towards the Cubs and their fans has built up through the years. Funny thing though, a lot of the guys in my golf group know I’m a Sox fan but can’t stand anything Boston so last year when the Cubs played the Red Sox a guy from Beantown asked me who I was pulling for in that series, I had to pull for the Cubs. Any other AL or NL team including the 2016 World Series I will pull for the team that’s playing the Cubs.

This is our 30th year living in Florida and I’ve become a big fan of the Rays and the Lightning except when the play the Sox and the Blackhawks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let's put it this way...I live on the far SouthSide and I think it should be illegal to fly a W flag or any other Cubs paraphernalia in my neighborhood.

So to answer the question posed....Yes, it is very shameful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I loved the rivalry the teams had in the mid-2000's. I wish both teams were good at the same time more often and played each other a lot more. It has the potential to rival red sox/yanks or cubs/cards if those two things existed. But sadly it's not the case. I think the hate for either team is stupid. I don't root for the Cubs or follow them, but I don't despise them. If the Sox didn't exist and the Cubs still did, let's be honest, we'd all be Cubs fans...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/20/2023 at 10:17 AM, ScootsMcGoots said:

I loved the rivalry the teams had in the mid-2000's. I wish both teams were good at the same time more often and played each other a lot more. It has the potential to rival red sox/yanks or cubs/cards if those two things existed. But sadly it's not the case. I think the hate for either team is stupid. I don't root for the Cubs or follow them, but I don't despise them. If the Sox didn't exist and the Cubs still did, let's be honest, we'd all be Cubs fans...

Pretty much this. I root for the Sox when they play obviously, but I otherwise don’t really think about the cubs. Though the fact that they are actually solid and we’re garbage during our “window” does hurt.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Being twenty years removed from the city I've gone from hating, to not caring, to currently I have Cub fan friends and don't mind seeing them happy. I realized those Cub fans are the same folks sitting next to be at Bears/Bulls/Blackhawk games. We have more in common than I do with the Astros fans around me. 

I doubt that would have happened if I didn't move. It would be easier for me to root for the Rangers than the Cubs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/20/2023 at 10:17 AM, ScootsMcGoots said:

I loved the rivalry the teams had in the mid-2000's. I wish both teams were good at the same time more often and played each other a lot more. It has the potential to rival red sox/yanks or cubs/cards if those two things existed. But sadly it's not the case. I think the hate for either team is stupid. I don't root for the Cubs or follow them, but I don't despise them. If the Sox didn't exist and the Cubs still did, let's be honest, we'd all be Cubs fans...

Not me, maybe its the fact that Ive never lived in Chicago or the burbs. If the SOx ever left I'd be the first to convert to the Brew Crew gang

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I feel I deserve credit cause I left Chicago many years ago and still am a diehard Sox fan and do not like the Cubs at all. It scares me how I've lost interest in baseball in that I can't name one Cub pitcher or one Cub hitter. Baseball has lost me except for the Sox. I am familiar with the Royals being they are here and i know what's up with them.

i feel i deserve credit cause in living here now a million years I never became a Royals fan or Chiefs fan. I have friends who have moved to Arizona and Vegas and immediately became Dbacks fans and fans of that hockey team as well as the Knights.

I have supported Chicago teams only. Still a Bears fan, Blackhawks and Bulls though admittedly I'm fair weather in those sports. So no, I can't follow the Cubs. It's not in my realm of possibility. Only Sox. However Sox are as much a trainwreck as I've ever seen, Last year's 500 seemed like a .350 team. This year's team is unlikeable and unacceptable. It's an insult.

Edited by greg775
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...