2024 - MLB Draft Thread

DirtySox

On 4/18/2024 at 10:09 PM, Timmy U said:

Who do you suppose is in play for 1-1? I would say Condon, Bazzana, Smith, for sure. Cags doesn’t seem like their type. Maybe the high schoolers?  Wetherholt is their type but he’s hurt again. I wouldn’t be surprised if Braden Montgomery is in there too,  Maybe Burns?  Again, he doesn’t seem like their type either.

Joe Doyle has them taking Kurtz at #1 and going significantly under slot. I'd be surprised if they took a pitcher. Probably whichever bat in their mix signs for the cheapest. I'd bet on Bazzana right now. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

BA Mock 2.0

5. White Sox — Braden Montgomery, OF/RHP, Texas A&M
Montgomery’s name comes up most frequently after the first four players listed in front of this pick. He has continued to put up a monster season in his first year in the SEC. He’s hitting .376/.518/.906 with 22 home runs, a 21% walk rate and a 15.4% strikeout rate. 

His top-end exit velocities are among the best in the class. Montgomery has the physicality and tools to supplement his performance numbers and batted ball data under the hood. If you wanted to nitpick him you could say that his contact skills aren’t quite at the level of the other hitters around him—though he’s neck and neck with Caglianone here—but he has consistently shown impressive swing decisions and on-base skills. 

Additionally, he profiles as an above-average right fielder with a 70-grade arm. He continues to get top-five chatter though he feels closer to No. 5 than No. 1.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/mlb-mock-draft-2024-version-2-0-first-round-picks-for-every-team/

I love me some Braden Montgomery and boy does the system need more legitimate bats.

Edited by DirtySox
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

What's their top 5?

1.) Guardians - Condon

2.) Reds - Caglianone

3.) Rockies - Burns

4.) A's - Bazzana

5.) White Sox - Montgomery

6.) Royals - Smith

7.) Cards - Kurtz

8.) Angels - Wetherholt

9.) Pirates - Griffin

10.) Nationals - Yesavage

Edited by DirtySox

On 4/20/2024 at 6:08 AM, Harold's Leg Lift said:

It's becoming almost impossible for me to believe any of these college hitters but homering in 9 straight games is pretty damn impressive.

I think of the inverse - it makes Smith, who is my pick for Sox to draft, look even more impressive.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

I think of the inverse - it makes Smith, who is my pick for Sox to draft, look even more impressive.  

This seems obvious, but I hadn’t thought of it like that. Good point. I’m actually hoping for Montgomery, but I’d be happy with Smith too. 

2 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Yes to me it shows that nobody is barreling him up. You'd think a time or two someone would and get a juiced ball result.