Liam Hendriks' return appears imminent

7 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Plus the bullpen seems to have found a groove lately. There's zero reason to have him on the Sox now .

As much as he wants to help the team he needs to be a little selfish now and take his time.

Better to take the insurance payouts and hold him back as long as necessary. 

That said, being "just" 5 1/2 games back is going to keep pushing guys like Crochet and Hendriks onto the active roster earlier than could reasonably be expected for them to pitch effectively right off the bat in high leverage. 

Not unlike Rodon just being thrown into the 2021 playoff pen against OAK without having enough time to adjust. 

Finally, carrying a closer with that contract makes zero sense for a payroll limited rebuilding team. 

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Better to take the insurance payouts and hold him back as long as necessary. 

That said, being "just" 5 1/2 games back is going to keep pushing guys like Crochet and Hendriks onto the active roster earlier than could reasonably be expected for them to pitch effectively right off the bat in high leverage. 

Not unlike Rodon just being thrown into the 2021 playoff pen against OAK without having enough time to adjust. 

The climb out of the hole coincided with a lot of home games against teams comparable to the Sox.

Even though I like seeing them playing better it was done without Liam. Basically it's been the pitching and home HRs.

If they can't win on the road against KC you aren't capable of an 80 game stretch of games to get you back into the race.The team would have to stay incredibly healthy and actually win some games against the better teams. I'll start thinking there's REAL hope when they show they can consistently win home and road against good and bad teams. Not impossible but not probable either. These gains appear temporary .

It almost now or never. Changes will need to start this trade deadline if they aren't at .500 by then.

• knightni changed the title to Liam Hendriks' return appears imminent
54 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Wish him all the best, hope the Sox can get something decent for him when the sell-off starts in July.

With that contract and the odds of him having his previous velocity and command/control are practically the same as the Celtics winning four in a row elimination games, five including the 76ers series...I'm not expecting for him to be dealt until the offseason or possibly next trade deadline.

Also, if the Padres continue to play so poorly even after Machado returns, they're going to have to deal Josh Hader at the deadline to restock for 2024.

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Wish him all the best, hope the Sox can get something decent for him when the sell-off starts in July.

https://www.mlb.com/news/liam-hendriks-returns-to-white-sox-after-cancer-battle

Just imagine the buzz around this if the White Sox were in 1st place or at least hovering around .500.

Now it's almost an afterthought...when will he be able to pitch well enough that they can dump his contract on someone else?

Imagine how the Hendriks Family feels right now.  This White Sox team was not the one that Hahn originally sold them on signing with...but they're kind of stuck with Chicago until he can pitch well enough (not for winning a championship, but just personal stats) to free himself due to the complicated contract that he signed.

Edited by caulfield12

I'll be curious what attendance is tonight. If I knew last week he'd be back tonight I'd have planned to attend.  The fact he wasn't making rehab appearances then they give 24 hour notice seems kind of a miss but maybe pre-sale for today was high.  Liam deserves to be honored this eve and I'd have loved to be there. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

it's hilarious how many fake injuries the Sox pull out of their ass when they need to manipulate the roster

I was just gonna say lol. Yeah an inflamed ankle riiigghhttt

1 hour ago, Timmy U said:

I believe that ship has sailed. It's Schoenle in the Davis Martin role for this year. Next year? God only knows.

Scholtens?   Wouldn't count on that happening against the actual competition outside the AL Central. 

Martin actually performed better than everyone expected...well,  will just have to wait and see. 

Edited by caulfield12

I think the Hendricks comeback was inspirational even with the outcome. If Grivol was smart, he'd use it as a motivational tool. Hendricks had cancer and he fought his way back. The Sox nearly pulled it out in the ninth. That's good. What does he have to lose? The Sox are 12 back and they need something positive to think about.

2 minutes ago, Highland said:

I think the Hendricks comeback was inspirational even with the outcome. If Grivol was smart, he'd use it as a motivational tool. Hendricks had cancer and he fought his way back. The Sox nearly pulled it out in the ninth. That's good. What does he have to lose? The Sox are 12 back and they need something positive to think about.

7 back... 

16 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Scholtens?   Wouldn't count on that happening against the actual competition outside the AL Central. 

Martin actually performed better than everyone expected...well,  will just have to wait and see. 

He’s referring to Garrett Schoenle, not Scholtens.