Garrett Crochet called up

whitesoxwinner

24 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

Shortsighted, dumb organization. Stretch the kid into a starter we need starters BADLY. 

If the plan is to remain disciplined and strech him into 2-4 inning appearances over the remaining 4 1/2 months, than that will hopefully build a legitimate base of innings so that he can start 25 or so games next season. Need to allow him to work on 3-4 pitches so he can pitch effectively in a starting role.

Can also determine whether he will have the capacity to exist as a starter at the ML level, can convert him to high leverage after this tryout period. It's good Tony isn't here and there is nothing left to play for so they can possibly have Crochet reach his full potential without worrying about current needs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, whitesoxwinner said:

Shortsighted, dumb organization. Stretch the kid into a starter we need starters BADLY. 

I agree. We don't have any starters and we drafted Crochet to be a starter. 

Note to the clueless Rick Hahn. There is no rush to get Crochet up here. The Sox are not going to finish over .500 this year or make the playoffs. You might as well have stretched him out and kept him down in Charlotte. Let him be a starter for next year with a fresh start in 2024. 

I know many in here have said that Crochet needs to develop another one or two strong pitches other than his fastball and slider. Well no better place than in Charlotte for the rest of the year to work on adding that.

The only problem I see is we probably don't have any good pitching coaches down there who probably have any clue to help him.

It will be interesting to see if Crochet got that upper 90's fastball back after TJS.

Edited by The Kids Can Play
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

Eh, this org sucks and is stupid but this isn't an example of it. Thinking he was a starter when they drafted him and that he wasn't going to flay his UCL to a single thread within a few years started this entire chain of frustration. There were plenty of red flags around him, but the Sox of course thought they knew more than everybody else.

• Hawk 1

6 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They're gonna make a lot of short sighted moves in the coming months if they don't get Hahn and Haber the f*** out of that building.

You know that's not happening. I'm looking forward to more trades for bad relievers and middle infielders with an OPS ~.600.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They're gonna make a lot of short sighted moves in the coming months if they don't get Hahn and Haber the f*** out of that building.

Right. It doesn't matter if they do "re-tool" or whatever bs they call it. It will be rinse and repeat as long as this org is run by Hahn, Kenny, Jerry and whoever else is calling the shots. Theyll bring in new guys and the same problems will surface...or new ones will. 

14 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

One of the most frustrating things as a fan is watching a GM group in over their head compound errors in a last ditch effort to save face. It's like GarPax bringing in the "three amigos".

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

If the plan is to remain disciplined and strech him into 2-4 inning appearances over the remaining 4 1/2 months, than that will hopefully build a legitimate base of innings so that he can start 25 or so games next season. Need to allow him to work on 3-4 pitches so he can pitch effectively in a starting role.

Can also determine whether he will have the capacity to exist as a starter at the ML level, can convert him to high leverage after this tryout period. It's good Tony isn't here and there is nothing left to play for so they can possibly have Crochet reach his full potential without worrying about current needs.

I like that plan. I just hope the Sox GM, manager and coaching staff do too and don't screw Crochet up. 

19 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

It has been years since any pitcher came back in under 14 months from TJS and threw anything more than about 10 effective innings.

So he will be White Sox average.

I do agree, it's crazy to think he'll be effective. But this is the type of thing the White Sox front office banks on annually. And we all know, they know more than anyone else. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

One of the most frustrating things as a fan is watching a GM group in over their head compound errors in a last ditch effort to save face. It's like GarPax bringing in the "three amigos".

That was at least fun. What the Sox do is like giving G-league players $6 mil guaranteed and a full roster spot.

On 5/16/2023 at 2:13 PM, chitownsportsfan said:

We did have the "tres Garcias"

• 3 weeks later...

After 6 outings we have some data. Crochet came up throwing 100+ in 2020, but in 2021 his fastball dropped to 97. People were hoping he would come back as the 102 thrower and he hasn’t, he is throwing what he threw in 2021.

9A7DCF9A-3EED-4A64-BF55-9934110AD7C3.jpeg

He is throwing more offspeed pitches than he did in 2021. So far though his K rate has dropped from 28% in 2021 to 11% and his walk rate jumped from 12% to 26%. His WHIP is 2.37. His 5.68 ERA is actually quite a bit under his 7.83 xERA.

With that kind of dominance I guess I can’t possibly suggest they needed to give him more rehab time. This is totally worth the service time.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

After 6 outings we have some data. Crochet came up throwing 100+ in 2020, but in 2021 his fastball dropped to 97. People were hoping he would come back as the 102 thrower and he hasn’t, he is throwing what he threw in 2021.

9A7DCF9A-3EED-4A64-BF55-9934110AD7C3.jpeg

He is throwing more offspeed pitches than he did in 2021. So far though his K rate has dropped from 28% in 2021 to 11% and his walk rate jumped from 12% to 26%. His WHIP is 2.37. His 5.68 ERA is actually quite a bit under his 7.83 xERA.

With that kind of dominance I guess I can’t possibly suggest they needed to give him more rehab time. This is totally worth the service time.

Try making White Sox go to Rehab, Hahn says "No, no, no."

• Haha 2