Sox Draft 2023

SoxFest23

26 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

A torn ACL and Tommy John? JFC.

As if they don't have enough handicaps against them being selected by the White Sox...

https://www.cleveland.com/guardians/2023/07/guardians-select-hs-lefty-right-handed-college-reliever-at-end-of-mlb-2023-drafts-second-round.html

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

The last White Sox 2nd round pick that put up over 2 career WAR for them was Terry Forster drafted over 50 years ago.

In the mid 70's Sox had three guys who could throw 100 which was unheard of. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

Will any of these guys DH and play first? No.  Then I'm good. I set a very low standard and the team met the goal. Even a low standard is a standard. 

If Gonzalez is truly a 30 runner, he very well may end up at 1b/DH. That is, if he can hit.

• Fire 1

15. Chicago White Sox — Jacob Gonzalez, SS, Mississippi

• Grade: A

Another player like Shaw and Teel where, regardless of spot, his selection would  receive an A. Gonzalez had been talked about as a potential top-five pick before sliding all the way to No. 15. He has a well-rounded profile, with a bat that will hit for average and power and the ability to stay at shortstop. He might not have any tools that jump off the page, but he also has no major flaws, making him a very safe prospect here.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/mlb-draft-grades-2023-live-picks-results/a6nkkz2hshjegc3hg23rkefb

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

15. Chicago White Sox — Jacob Gonzalez, SS, Mississippi

• Grade: A

Another player like Shaw and Teel where, regardless of spot, his selection would  receive an A. Gonzalez had been talked about as a potential top-five pick before sliding all the way to No. 15. He has a well-rounded profile, with a bat that will hit for average and power and the ability to stay at shortstop. He might not have any tools that jump off the page, but he also has no major flaws, making him a very safe prospect here.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/mlb-draft-grades-2023-live-picks-results/a6nkkz2hshjegc3hg23rkefb

They must have plans that one of Gonzalez or Montgomery will be moving off of SS otherwise it makes no sense to take another SS when you already have a top prospect at the position and their windows of arrival seem to be in the same range.

I know the bat has been excellent but how has Colson been with the glove so far?

12 minutes ago, T R U said:

They must have plans that one of Gonzalez or Montgomery will be moving off of SS otherwise it makes no sense to take another SS when you already have a top prospect at the position and their windows of arrival seem to be in the same range.

I know the bat has been excellent but how has Colson been with the glove so far?

If both do end up working out and make it to the majors, it’s a good problem to have. They can figure it out then. I don’t think he sticks at SS personally, and I think the Sox will end up putting him at 2B. A possible IF of Gonzalez (2B), Montgomery (SS) and Ramos (3B) would probably be the ideal scenario IMO.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

If both do end up working out and make it to the majors, it’s a good problem to have. They can figure it out then. I don’t think he sticks at SS personally, and I think the Sox will end up putting him at 2B. A possible IF of Gonzalez (2B), Montgomery (SS) and Ramos (3B) would probably be the ideal scenario IMO.

I would like that scenario, good bats at all positions.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Anyone else concerned that in their meeting with him, according to Gonzalez, the Sox broke down his weird-ass swing on video? Did they draft a bat-first player at 15 so they can completely retool his admittedly unorthodox swing?

Pretty much.  If (and that's a BIG if) everything works out they drafted Todd Walker.  Yeaaaaaaaaaaaa.........

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Anyone else concerned that in their meeting with him, according to Gonzalez, the Sox broke down his weird-ass swing on video? Did they draft a bat-first player at 15 so they can completely retool his admittedly unorthodox swing?

100% concerned. Seems like a similiar situation to Zach Collins. He had a hitch in his swing coming out of Miami as well. His career has turned out wonderfully.. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, T R U said:

It'd most likely be Gonzalez moving. Colson's gonna get here first + faster.

It's a good problem to have Colson, Ramos, Gonzalez, Popeye, Sosa, and Burrowes (except Ramos, but he's got 3rd) all up the middle as prospects. You take that all day over doubling down on loading up at 1st base and corner OF.

• Like 4

Just now, Quin said:

It'd most likely be Gonzalez moving. Colson's gonna get here first + faster.

It's a good problem to have Colson, Ramos, Gonzalez, Popeye, Sosa, and Burrowes all up the middle as prospects. You take that all day over doubling down on loading up at 1st base and corner OF.

Absolutely, I would expect Colson is the starting SS sometime in 2025. Hopefully we get to see him towards the end of next season.

50 minutes ago, T R U said:

Montgomery has missed most of the year with back issues so he clearly has White Sox bust written all over him.

• Fire 1

10 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

https://lsutigerswire.usatoday.com/2023/07/09/lsu-baseball-grant-taylor-chicago-white-sox-mlb-draft-second-round/

Can't have enough injured pitching in your rotation. Thinking Jerry wants to pocket the money with Grant returning to LSU, because that is how Jerry rolls.

If he returns to LSU then this was a stupid pick. If he stays and we wait patiently for his recovery, then maybe it could be something special. Then again that's questionable task based on our flawed player development. I've seen videos of him prior to TJS and he looked pretty damn good. One source said when he last pitched at that Cape Cod league, he was quite dominant. 

Of course one has to question the logic and risk of going back to LSU. If he just got drafted fairly high with the Sox#2 pick and overall #51, it might be wise to pocket the salary and bonus money signing, because there is no guarantee he will go back to LSU and have greater success. However in worse case scenario he gets reinjured and struggles, then his draft stock will fall big time. 

I would hope the Sox know what his plans are and didn't make this pick throwing the dice.

• Hawk 1

22 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Montgomery has missed most of the year with back issues so he clearly has White Sox bust written all over him.

Knowing there are health issues, which we are not privy to, maybe this pick is a back-up plan for SS. Then again, if both make it to the majors. that's a nice problem to have. Plus one of them could bring a nice return of talent in a trade. 

• Like 1

• Heads22 unpinned this topic