Burger To Marlins

DirtySox

1 hour ago, fathom said:

The bigger problem is Eder has looked awful

He’s on the mound, coming back from TJS and another injury, and Hahn hasn’t yet called him up to save the bullpen. That’s literally all you can reasonably ask for right now. Give him the full offseason to work and build strength and then evaluate when he’s called up to save the bullpen next May.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

He’s on the mound, coming back from TJS and another injury, and Hahn hasn’t yet called him up to save the bullpen. That’s literally all you can reasonably ask for right now. Give him the full offseason to work and build strength and then evaluate when he’s called up to save the bullpen next May.

You would think the Sox might be better off choosing a pitcher who hadn't just experienced a TJS...since we've already struggled developing pitchers in the most pristine of circumstances.

All we have to do is look at the divergent results between Kopech and Cease post surgery.

What's the approximate percentage of pitchers who don't make it back to previous form, somewhere between 30-35%??? 40%???

That said, Clevinger has gone through 2 TJS and that used to almost be considered a "death sentence" in terms of the careers of starting pitchers.

2 hours ago, fathom said:

The bigger problem is Eder has looked awful

It's why you can't trade an established MLB position player with years of control for a single minor league pitcher. We literally picked up multiple guys at the same time off the scrap heap who were once better prospects than Eder is likely to be. The sell high narrative is such crap.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

It's why you can't trade an established MLB position player with years of control for a single minor league pitcher. We literally picked up multiple guys at the same time off the scrap heap who were once better prospects than Eder is likely to be. The sell high narrative is such crap.

Sell high maybe based on his value with the CarShield 2020 Collegiate League in July/August of that year in O'Fallon, Illinois.

SoxTalk Burgerettes can reap max profits by capitalizing on Burger prop bets on Draft Kings and elsewhere.

https://www.playpicks.com/1060665/jake-burger-mlb-player-props-insights-marlins-padres-8-21-2023/

PLAYER PROP ODDS FOR BURGER

Prop O/U Over Odds
Hits 0.5 -145
Runs 0.5 -116
RBI 0.5 -123
Strikeouts 1.5 -104

In-n-Out Double Double Animal Style

cGc

May 31, 1998

• Like 1

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

SoxTalk Burgerettes can reap max profits by capitalizing on Burger prop bets on Draft Kings and elsewhere.

https://www.playpicks.com/1060665/jake-burger-mlb-player-props-insights-marlins-padres-8-21-2023/

PLAYER PROP ODDS FOR BURGER

Prop O/U Over Odds
Hits 0.5 -145
Runs 0.5 -116
RBI 0.5 -123
Strikeouts 1.5 -104

In-n-Out Double Double Animal Style

cGc

May 31, 1998

Normally I get where you're going with these, but you've lost me here.

I mean, for starters, there's no In-N-Out east of the Mississippi.

2 hours ago, Quin said:

Any East Coast or Miami Burger Connections?

For Burger/s, the best we can do is Imo's Pizza from St. Louis or Ted Drew's Frozen Custards and Concretes.

2 hours ago, Quin said:

Jake was in Los Angeles, home of In-n-Out. Also the best fast food burger, IMO.

Song = Will fans still love Burger tomorrow / next season & beyond.

February 10, 1971

Music Carole King, Lyrics Gerry Goffin (Carole's husband at the time)

18 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Exactly. If anything the Marlins sold high on Eder. Eder can't get anyone out so far in Brimingham. What's the plan if that continues? Send a 25 year old next year to High A? 

This trade sucked. 

2 hours ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Exactly. If anything the Marlins sold high on Eder. Eder can't get anyone out so far in Brimingham. What's the plan if that continues? Send a 25 year old next year to High A? 

This trade sucked. 

Clearly it's the big league bullpen. I mean, that's probably the plan anyway, so performance isn't going to change things. 

Burger listed as one of the Top 12 3B in baseball for postseason awards consideration...

Jake Burger, Marlins

In a similar vein to Devers and Muncy, Burger’s bread and butter is mashing baseballs. His 11.1% barrels/PA rate leads all qualified third basemen, as does his .523 slugging percentage. His 27 homers are only two off the position lead, as his power has provided a welcome addition to the Marlins lineup.

https://www.mlb.com/news/all-mlb-third-basemen-candidates-for-2023-season

No Moncada...

Edited by caulfield12

On 8/22/2023 at 8:38 AM, almagest said:

I'll give Eder a break due to his Tommy John surgery in 2021, missing all of 2022, and this being a recovery season. He'll likely be at AA next year again to start, and that'll be his make or break season, most likely.

As big of a Burger fan that I am I didnt bash the trade but now I've had a chance to delve deeper in a few things. I'm mostly concerned that he's kind of far away from being a SP.

He only pitched 92.1 innings in 3 years in college.He only pitched 71 innings in 2021 and that was enough to have TJ surgery.

So far this years he's pitched 51.2 innings and can't get anyone out since the trade. He's a long way off from going 150 innings. Considering he'll be 25 Oct. 9th I'm thinking he's almost in the same boat as Crochet except for having  more control of Eder. But Crochet is 8 months younger. But both seem like longshots to ever become a starting pitcher .

If that's the case for Eder the trade is looking worse every day. Unfortunately Eder looks like a future AAAA relief pitcher.

He's going to need decent numbers next year and go over 100 IP but that's not close to a ML caliber starting pitcher  where you should be able to go 130 IP minimum to stay in the rotation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Little consolation that we're now supposed to bash KW over this one instead of Hahn...or bash Hahn for being too weak to prevent it.

I don't think It's a foregone conclusion that KW engineered the trade. All we heard is she called KW because they were old buddies. If one got his way over the other (KW or Hahn), or they both agreed on the trade ,we may never know.

They needed to get more for Burger. A older SP at AA in his 1st season after his TJ surgery without a track record of any consistence excellence is way too risky .

I know Burger had risks too but 25 HR's added to a lineup that needed more hitting during a playoff push meant something to the Marlins. Eder meant nothing to them until he could build some innings and endurance.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

3 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I don't think It's a foregone conclusion that KW engineered the trade. All we heard is she called KW because they were old buddies. If one got his way over the other (KW or Hahn), or they both agreed on the trade ,we may never know.

They needed to get more for Burger. A older SP at AA in his 1st season after his TJ surgery without a track record of any consistence excellence is way too risky .

I know Burger had risks too but 25 HR's added to a lineup that needed more hitting during a playoff push meant something to the Marlins. Eder meant nothing to them until he could build some innings and endurance.

There was a story out there that specifically stated Hahn didn't want to trade Burger, not just that Ng called "her old buddy" KW and dealt with him directly.

And also that they were (Hahn and Haber, one would guess) working on a trade of Anderson to the Marlins simultaneously but then ended up going with the Burger deal instead.

• Thanks 1

Eder's numbers are awful, hopefully they just have him working on things.

Lets not act like Jake Burger is leading the surging Marlins to a deep playoff run. His power is still way down (Only 2 home runs in 23 games with Miami) and he has a unsustainable BABIP. The Marlins also are fading away, only 1 game above .500.

13 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think a combination of Kim Ng saying "called up my boy Kenny Williams" + McGuffey's "KW had authority to trade with the Marlins and Yankees" + Garfein's "Hahn didn't want to trade Burger, Kenny did and traded Burger" paints a pretty clear picture, especially when one is a primary source.

FWIW, I may be confusing Garfein and McGuffey, but yeah, this was a KW trade.

• Thanks 1

In the NBA back in the early 80's, I believe, an owner made a trade that was so bad that the league had to step in.  They didn't nullify the trade, but they gave the team an extra draft choice the next year and forced the crooked, incompetent owner to sell his franchise, thus getting him out of the league.

Maybe MLB can step in here, (Just kidding).