Jump to content

Fire Pedro Grifol


Chicago White Sox
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Maybe he does maybe he doesn’t. But I always get a kick out of fans getting incandescent over the mangers of garbage teams. Kind of misplaced fury.

I understand what you are writing, but I don’t believe ANYONE ripping Pedro constantly, which includes me, doesn’t think the Sox would be awful no matter who managed them. This team has made the same mistakes over and over for 217 games. He cannot manage. And he is afraid of veterans. Finally popped off and said what he should have said in April 2023. And what happens? He benches the 2 rookies. And if you think I am playing Monday morning QB, check this site. I called it way before any of us had a line up. And they get 1 run today. Someone has to go. 15-40 with 10 as high as you can draft should be unacceptable. For some reason it isn’t.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Worst start in franchise history should be enough.

Even without Cease and Luis Robert, Jr.

 

Noted clubhouse/chemistry or glue guys like Maldonado and Nicky Lopez can't be expected to lead either, not when they're having horrific seasons.

Also, if they're going to launch him, please either name a younger voice like Jirschele, Leyland's kid, Grady Sizemore, anyone but Charlie Montoyo.

Edited by caulfield12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Worst start in franchise history should be enough.

Even without Cease and Luis Robert, Jr.

 

Noted clubhouse/chemistry or glue guys like Maldonado and Nicky Lopez can't be expected to lead either, not when they're having horrific seasons.

Also, if they're going to launch him, please either name a younger voice like Jirschele, Leyland's kid, Grady Sizemore, anyone but Charlie Montoyo.

I assume he has a name, but he’s only ever referred to on this site as Leyland’s kid 😆

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do not understand the long pattern of there being an extreme tolerance to losing yet as soon as someone gets good, they’re jettisoned out.  Then someone (players & coaches both) has to totally fail in a bad organization to get a shot with the Sox.  15-40 and zero changes made.  15-40 is showing an extreme failure tendency even in a rebuild.  Pedro should have been gone a long time ago.  He’s clearly not the one.  So why not start the search to find someone who is?  Unless they have completely embraced being a terrible losing franchise and Pedro IS EXACTLY the direction the Sox want to go.  
 

No one tolerates losing like the Chicago White Sox. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, TheBooneLoganEra said:

Bruce Levine just on the score. Sure sounds like Pedro still ain't going anywhere. Also Bruce is terrible. I usually give the dude a chance but total apologist for Grifol and the organization. 

He always plays Mr. Nice Guy so he doesn’t lose the few team sources that he may have.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, FT35 said:

I do not understand the long pattern of there being an extreme tolerance to losing yet as soon as someone gets good, they’re jettisoned out.  Then someone (players & coaches both) has to totally fail in a bad organization to get a shot with the Sox.  15-40 and zero changes made.  15-40 is showing an extreme failure tendency even in a rebuild.  Pedro should have been gone a long time ago.  He’s clearly not the one.  So why not start the search to find someone who is?  Unless they have completely embraced being a terrible losing franchise and Pedro IS EXACTLY the direction the Sox want to go.  
 

No one tolerates losing like the Chicago White Sox. 

What was really bad is the media trying to justify the Grifol hire by puffing up the 2 great seasons the Royals had.  You have to wonder was there a line for those waiting to manage the Sox and they somehow found that sucker to take it. There is a lot of talk in organizations that fans or journalist are not allowed to hear.

Grifol's biggest weakness is his communication skills required of today's coaches/managers.   He sounds like a corporate kiss ass and lacking social skills dealing with the media. 

Would the dislike be as great if he didn't say anything?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I still find it funny some are still blaming at least some of the woes on injuries. The Sox probably don’t sign Pham if the 3 don’t get hurt, and he’s been their best player. And the team is going to pay $8 million for Moncada and ILoy to go away once this season ends.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 5/27/2024 at 3:22 PM, Dick Allen said:

I understand what you are writing, but I don’t believe ANYONE ripping Pedro constantly, which includes me, doesn’t think the Sox would be awful no matter who managed them. This team has made the same mistakes over and over for 217 games. He cannot manage. And he is afraid of veterans. Finally popped off and said what he should have said in April 2023. And what happens? He benches the 2 rookies. And if you think I am playing Monday morning QB, check this site. I called it way before any of us had a line up. And they get 1 run today. Someone has to go. 15-40 with 10 as high as you can draft should be unacceptable. For some reason it isn’t.

That’s fair enough. I just don’t know how Getz can install anything other than a lateral move. He can’t sacrifice  anybody he had in mind that might actually be good on the current roster. It’s like throwing your man into the wood chipper. Not only that, if you’re a good managerial candidate, you’re not taking the Sox job anyway if you had better options, which a good candidate should. One of those options is to tell Getz good luck with your life.

Edited by Chick Mercedes
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, TheBooneLoganEra said:

Bruce Levine just on the score. Sure sounds like Pedro still ain't going anywhere. Also Bruce is terrible. I usually give the dude a chance but total apologist for Grifol and the organization. 

As I have been trying to point out, once Pedro is let go, Getz has his own man, and puts his own autograph on a disaster, and begins his accountability clock. Right now, Hahn is taking all the heat. If I were Getz, I am not anxious to start my clock yet

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

That’s fair enough. I just don’t know how Getz can install anything other than a lateral move. He can’t sacrifice  anybody he had in mind that might actually be good on the current roster. It’s like throwing your man into the wood chipper. Not only that, if you’re a good managerial candidate, you’re not taking the Sox job anyway if you had better options, which a good candidate should. One of those options is to tell Getz good luck with your life.

I think people way overestimate how many people would turn down an MLB managerial job.  Outside of guys with long track records and some ability to be picky, the number is near zero.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Getz might actually fire Pedro for this one.

Screenshot_20240528_171215_X.jpg

I feel like if there's something there, somehow Getz would be fired by JR for questioning Pedro.

No logic or reasoning. Just thinking of maximum WTFness.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I think people way overestimate how many people would turn down an MLB managerial job.  Outside of guys with long track records and some ability to be picky, the number is near zero.

Generically speaking. Yes. Sox speaking, not sure. You may be right,  But a candidate  does know going in that he has no chance, the team is backing up the truck, and nobody is coming to the rescue any time soon, including the owner. Best guess is, interim guy already in the organization is what Getz would do, and don’t discount that guy staying on. We can at least safely say that Getz will never have the pick of the litter.

Edited by Chick Mercedes
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Pedro knows where his bread is buttered doesn't he:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-sox/2024/05/28/white-sox-manager-pedro-grifol-says-he-hears-enough-from-jerry-reinsdorf-to-know-he-wants-to-win

And yes, JR wants to win BUT he wants to win his way and history shows his way does...not...work. 

Edited by Lip Man 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/23/2024 at 11:32 AM, Tomas said:

Pedro is a walking disaster.  Not a teacher. Not a leader. Why was he ever considered for the managers job is a mystery?

Ozzie would be a huge step forward. 

I would leave Goodyear tracks on Pedro's forehead. Enough of guys failing upwards. Getz and Grifol were pointless promotions. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Pedro knows where his bread is buttered doesn't he:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-sox/2024/05/28/white-sox-manager-pedro-grifol-says-he-hears-enough-from-jerry-reinsdorf-to-know-he-wants-to-win

And yes, JR wants to win BUT he wants to win his way and history shows his way does...not...work. 

There’s no real evidence to suggest Reinsdorf wants to win baseball games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

There’s no real evidence to suggest Reinsdorf wants to win baseball games.

It’s hard to fathom who else in the world would think Chris Getz as the GM and Pedro Grifol as a manager is a good idea. I predicted the Sox to win 68 games this year, and I am an idiot, They would have to go 53-53 the rest of the way to do that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Pedro knows where his bread is buttered doesn't he:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-sox/2024/05/28/white-sox-manager-pedro-grifol-says-he-hears-enough-from-jerry-reinsdorf-to-know-he-wants-to-win

And yes, JR wants to win BUT he wants to win his way and history shows his way does...not...work. 

His brown nosing has no limits. A good evaluator of talent? $181 million payroll lost 101 games. Highest payroll in the division 15-41 and have pretty much clinched last place in May.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

His brown nosing has no limits. A good evaluator of talent? $181 million payroll lost 101 games. Highest payroll in the division 15-41 and have pretty much clinched last place in May.

Numbers and facts don't matter to this organization. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

There’s no real evidence to suggest Reinsdorf wants to win baseball games.

Not in the last 12 years. Before 2012, maybe. But since then, he's just completely lost it. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

Not in the last 12 years. Before 2012, maybe. But since then, he's just completely lost it. 

Yep. Nothing against Getz. But the whole, “I  don’t want to hire an outside GM to take over the program because it will take them a year.” sentiment was complete nonsense. It was a disingenuous way of saying, “We don’t want outsiders to see how behind we are as a franchise and I don’t want to go outside of my country club of baseball people to fix my team, also I’m old and lazy.” 
It’s amazing how shitty and irrelevant this franchise has become. It’s actually quite sad. Sox fans deserve better and it sucks we won’t get that until Jerry leaves. It’s like we’re getting held hostage by a billionaire tight wad. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why not fire Grifol and install Sizemore?  Get a preview of how handles the job for three to four months and see if there is any chance he can be the guy.  It’s going to be hard to convince a quality manager to come here so need to be a bit creative and should take advantage of this lost season.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why not fire Grifol and install Sizemore?  Get a preview of how handles the job for three to four months and see if there is any chance he can be the guy.  It’s going to be hard to convince a quality manager to come here so need to be a bit creative and should take advantage of this lost season.

I'll take anyone. It's the time to see if they can develop into something when the team is actually ready to win. JR didn't want to waste time. Pedro in the dugout is a huge waste of time.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...