Update: 3 (2) fans injured by bullet in Guaranteed Rate field (split from game thread, police investigation underway)

Chicago White Sox

One month after the shooting left a 42-year-old woman wounded in her right leg and a 26-year-old woman grazed on her abdomen, Waller said Chicago police still don’t know if the bullets came from inside or outside the stadium and likely will never be 100% sure.

Both women have been interviewed, but no suspects have been questioned or identified, even though the police department brought in the feds to “to kind of give us a hand in this,” said Waller.

“We’re still using technology to show us if it could have happened from outside the park. … We’re looking at cameras from inside the park to make sure that we’re not missing something,” Waller said.

White Sox Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf has emphatically stated he doesn’t see “any way in the world that the shots could have come from inside the ballpark.” 

Waller said: “I won’t say inside or outside until the investigation is complete. I spoke to Mr. Reinsdorf, and I know that he feels very strongly because he has to protect his brand.”

• Thanks 1

The accidental discharge of a firearm is generally treated as a misdemeanor with a fine. The victims aren't seeking justice. The venue doesn't seem to be pushing for an investigation. With so many unsolved violent crimes I can see this not getting much police time. 

A fell down a bullet trajectory projections rabbit hole and was fascinated by the science involved. Could a shot be from outside? Theoretically yes. Without a doubt in my mind. Could two land side by side. Too amazing to believe. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Texsox said:

A fell down a bullet trajectory projections rabbit hole and was fascinated by the science involved. Could a shot be from outside? Theoretically yes. Without a doubt in my mind. Could two land side by side. Too amazing to believe. 

Yep - interesting stuff. A falling bullet can definitely injure you, but the odds of 2 landing that close to each other have to be almost zero. Either way we’ll never get an answer.

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Waiting for the Jerry Reinsdorf sequel.

• Like 1

CPD Commander John Spellman interceded on behalf of Jerry Reinsdorf 's Chicago White Sox and Jerry Reinsdorf's security firm At Your Service LLC, while working as supervisor for Jerry Reinsdorf's internal security firm during the game in question.

John Spellman did not implement CPD Patrol Chief Brian McDermott's request to stop the game for public safety reasons. As a result of John's actions, acting CPD Superintendent Fred Weller has demoted John Spellman from Commander to the rank of Lieutenant. 

https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/2023/9/28/23895258/chicago-police-demote-commander-white-sox-park-shooting?utm_campaign=socialflow-cst&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Spellman had been serving as a security supervisor for At Your Service LLC, the firm that guards Sox park and is controlled by team executives, according to law enforcement sources.

There was concern that Spellman may have prioritized the interests of the team over the department and stalled in delivering McDermott’s request to pause the game, a source said. He also didn’t have the superintendent’s approval to work the security job, as required by a departmental order.

Spellman was sent to work as a lieutenant in the Morgan Park District, a police spokesperson confirmed. 

No further updates at this point regarding the Chicago Public School shooter responsible for this debacle.

Xy5qcGc

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Vacheron said:

Shouldn’t she be charged with something? 

how can you say you aren’t sure?

Best I can tell from what we know in the media is that she’s ostensibly still considered a victim right now. I might be misunderstanding exactly what you’re asking though, if you want to clarify.

Victims don't seem to care. If this happened anywhere else in the city no one cares. Seems like a waste of resources that could be used to solve murders, car theft, rapes, muggings . . . Accidental discharge usually results in a ticket and fine without any other mitigating factors. 

21 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Victims don't seem to care. If this happened anywhere else in the city no one cares. Seems like a waste of resources that could be used to solve murders, car theft, rapes, muggings . . . Accidental discharge usually results in a ticket and fine without any other mitigating factors. 

Except most accidental discharges (assuming it was one) occur in places where it is legal to have a firearm, here is it illegal to have a gun at GRF in the first place. Also, this isn’t an accidental discharge situation in the confines of the home where the risk of collateral damage is small, someone easily could have been killed based on the amount of people in the area. This isn’t some accidental discharge situation where the only potential victim is the negligent gun owner. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, maggsmaggs said:

Except most accidental discharges (assuming it was one) occur in places where it is legal to have a firearm, here is it illegal to have a gun at GRF in the first place. Also, this isn’t an accidental discharge situation in the confines of the home where the risk of collateral damage is small, someone easily could have been killed based on the amount of people in the area. This isn’t some accidental discharge situation where the only potential victim is the negligent gun owner. 

I thought one theory was the victim accidentally shot themselves which is why they aren't making a big deal about it.

They don't need to solve this to do the right thing. Tighter checks at the entrance. Better training. Clear protocols either from the league, the city, or the team. It it was from outside the stadium ban all guns in the city. 

4 hours ago, Middle Buffalo said:

Sounds to me like Tex was involved in this somehow. Pretty quick to sweep it under the rug.

Lol

There are people who were shot while being robbed, car jacked, or murdered. I think the resources should go towards solving those crimes before this. But because there are folks wanting to make the Sox look at bad as possible, this keeps coming up. 

8 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Lol

There are people who were shot while being robbed, car jacked, or murdered. I think the resources should go towards solving those crimes before this. But because there are folks wanting to make the Sox look at bad as possible, this keeps coming up. 

This is Chicago, so people including suburban CPS thugs packing heat are not going to face any consequences.

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

JR is popping the champagne today. Not only can he say, see it wasn't my crack staff. Now he's got a we have to get out of this dangerous neighborhood argument.

They issued a report saying it came from outside the park? why wasn't that linked?