Update: 3 (2) fans injured by bullet in Guaranteed Rate field (split from game thread, police investigation underway)

Chicago White Sox

1 minute ago, Texsox said:

No one reported a shooter on the inside. You wanted to know there was a shooter outside the park, so you could go outside the park? 

Would you want police to secure the outside first? Maybe check the neighborhood? Or at least announce there has been a shooting in section 123. If you guys want to stay, we're going to keep playing, but if you want to leave, safe travels. 

You tell me Tex.  What was the appropriate course of action here?

4 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

Crowd rushes are crazy. All it takes is one person panicking and it can become a full-on stampede. People don’t just get hurt in those, they die. Sometimes many of them. I’m not defending the actions of the team because we still don’t know the whole story. I’m just giving you context.

Even if they announce for people to calmly make their way to the exit immediately, people will freak the f*** out and start pushing. And you can’t predict where it will go from there.

I don’t disagree on the dangers of a crowd rush.  I’m just saying doing nothing doesn’t seem like a good response either.  There should be some tactical way to de-risk the situation without inducing mass panic.

32 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m not sure I’m following your point here?  Three people were hurt in a crowd rush?  If there was an actual active shooter, that would be a small price to pay for saving many innocent lives.  And I’m not suggesting they should have sounded a panic alarm and told everyone to rush for the exits.  But I certainly wouldn’t have left people 20 people away from a shooting for the remainder of the game with no explanation of how it actually happened.

Also, do you think if that random stray strikes the woman’s head and not her leg, the game would have gone on?  There were literally kids hopping up the stairs seconds before the bullet struck.  If it hits one of them do they stop the game and take it more seriously?  In your mind, what would it have taken to trigger some actual action?

Quite simply, some indication that there was an active shooter in the park. Based on the info I've heard, there was none.  Mass murder shooters don't fire one shot then stop for a while.  They shoot and shoot non stop until something stops them.

Not just Lil Durk, but many instances of crowd panic causing injuries and deaths. That was the real threat after the one bullet hit.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t disagree on the dangers of a crowd rush.  I’m just saying doing nothing doesn’t seem like a good response either.  There should be some tactical way to de-risk the situation without inducing mass panic.

It's seems like they responded in the most tactical way possible. There wasn't an active shooter. There wasn't a panic. There wasn't stampede. Nobody else got hurt.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You tell me Tex.  What was the appropriate course of action here?

Since I don't know all the information they have it's speculation on my part. I do know for example folks that study these things discover things that are counterintuitive to what we think is right. For example someone calls in a bomb threat to a school. Of course you will evacuate kids from classrooms.

Except that puts kids into the hallways near lockers, garbage cans, and other more public areas that are easier to plant the bomb. Then they walk outside and stand near cars and other areas that are even easier to place a bomb. You don't even have to go inside to inflict mass casualties.

If they announced the game was cancelled (my first thought was to what they should have done, and I believe others as well) would people panic? Certainly if they were truthful and said there was a shooter. Stop the game for technical difficulties? Probably better, but that is lying. 

I'm just glad I didn't have to make the decision. In the end, no additional people were hurt. So whomever made the decision can probably sleep better tonight. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Since I don't know all the information they have it's speculation on my part. I do know for example folks that study these things discover things that are counterintuitive to what we think is right. For example someone calls in a bomb threat to a school. Of course you will evacuate kids from classrooms.

Except that puts kids into the hallways near lockers, garbage cans, and other more public areas that are easier to plant the bomb. Then they walk outside and stand near cars and other areas that are even easier to place a bomb. You don't even have to go inside to inflict mass casualties.

If they announced the game was cancelled (my first thought was to what they should have done, and I believe others as well) would people panic? Certainly if they were truthful and said there was a shooter. Stop the game for technical difficulties? Probably better, but that is lying. 

I'm just glad I didn't have to make the decision. In the end, no additional people were hurt. So whomever made the decision can probably sleep better tonight. 

Even just telling them it’s cancelled without there being an obvious reason for cancellation would scare the s%*# out of people. And you’re right back into the crush risk.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Milkman delivers said:

Even just telling them it’s cancelled without there being an obvious reason for cancellation would scare the s%*# out of people. And you’re right back into the crush risk.

I agree. You could start turning a light or two off. Flicker some concourse lights and blame an electrical issue. But I doubt that would work.

Like I said earlier, I'm glad I didn't have to make the decision. And continue playing was probably the harder choice. If someone else was shot it was a bad decision and you are done. If you cancel and people panic and someone gets trampled, not your fault, you were trying to keep them safe. 

7 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

My first thought would be a bomb in thr building.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

It's seems like they responded in the most tactical way possible. There wasn't an active shooter. There wasn't a panic. There wasn't stampede. Nobody else got hurt.

Again, they had no idea the source of the bullet.  They didn’t know if the shooting was intentional or not.  Sure, they may have assumed it was a random stray from outside the park, but they did not know that for sure as of 1am this morning.  Meanwhile, people continued to sit in that area.  Had more bullets come in 5 minutes later, 15 minutes later, etc. would you still feel it was the most tactical response possible?  Thank god it appears to be random, but why even take a chance?

This isn't getting much national play. Is it the old Friday news cycle thing? There was a shooting at a high school football game in Oklahoma Friday, also getting hardly any play. Might just be declining news organizations have hardly anybody working on weekends. Just wondering is all. Even if the Sox bullet was from a mile away, people were bleeding apparently so people got hit by it. Huge news.

The violence we've seen the past couple years has yet to hit the sports stadiums. If it does, it's a whole new world again, That's why I wonder why everybody is so sure owning a sports team is a golden investment. In our brave new world, anything can happen (covid spreads can shut it down in a moment; shootings at sports stadiums also could change the scene dramatically).

I'm just wondering why the shootings aren't getting much national play.

Edited by greg775

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

This isn't getting much national play. Is it the old Friday news cycle thing? There was a shooting at a high school football game in Oklahoma Friday, also getting hardly any play. Might just be declining news organizations have hardly anybody working on weekends. Just wondering is all. Even if the Sox bullet was from a mile away, people were bleeding apparently so people got hit by it. Huge news.

The violence we've seen the past couple years has yet to hit the sports stadiums. If it does, it's a whole new world again, That's why I wonder why everybody is so sure owning a sports team is a golden investment. In our brave new world, anything can happen (covid spreads can shut it down in a moment; shootings at sports stadiums also could change the scene dramatically).

I'm just wondering why the shootings aren't getting much national play.

Chicago violence is par for the course at this point. I don’t think people would even bat an eye about it. “Not surprising, it’s Chicago.”

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

Chicago violence is par for the course at this point. I don’t think people would even bat an eye about it. “Not surprising, it’s Chicago.”

Do you agree once violent activity hits the stadiums for sporting events (i.e. bullets), it's all over for spectator sports? They'll just be shown on TV with no fans? Sure there are always fisticuffs at games but bullets will provide a different outcome. I would think there would be ways to sneak guns into games. Maybe security will sniff out all guns.

This story has gotta be 1 of the weirder ones in a while. How do 2 people get shot in a crowded baseball stadium and no one knows how? If it was from outside of the stadium it would have had to be 2 bullets falling from the sky that hit 2 different people? 

My only guess is that someone snuck a gun into the stadium and it accidentally discharged at the right/wrong time when there was a lot of noise so it wasn’t noticeable. 

• Thanks 1

How does someone even sneak a gun into the ballpark? They check inside even the tiniest purse. They opened up my cigarette pack to see if I was smuggling something in there. 

spray bullet from the outside sounds hard to imagine but I know I would’ve noticed a gun shot 3 sections away. People nearby wouldn’t have just gone about their business complaining about how bad Dylan cease is. 

It does sound hard to believe but there are shootings in the area often enough and it doesn’t strike me as surprising that some dumbass kids might’ve been firing strays at the stadium from wentworth. It’s hidden enough right there between the park and the freeway, you’re not doing that on 35th with all the police activity. I also can’t believe somebody snuck a gun into the ballpark. I also don’t know how a bullet could travel that far and not hit something on the concourse before it reached people. Very fascinating story altogether, doesn’t change my opinion of going to sox games but I’m sure it makes people feel more emboldened that a baseball team can’t be on the south side 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

This story has gotta be 1 of the weirder ones in a while. How do 2 people get shot in a crowded baseball stadium and no one knows how? If it was from outside of the stadium it would have had to be 2 bullets falling from the sky that hit 2 different people? 

My only guess is that someone snuck a gun into the stadium and it accidentally discharged at the right/wrong time when there was a lot of noise so it wasn’t noticeable. 

Or someone outside of the stadium, screwing around, pointed the gun in the air at say a 45 degree angle and fired off a few rounds and they came down inside the stadium. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Milkman delivers said:

Highly false narrative. Any city. 

• Like 2

This really doesn't seem all that complicated. People are hit by bullets that were shot up into the air all the time. It was probably fired up into the air around the park, descended into the park and ricocheted off a couple people. Even in a loud stadium, you aren't going to have a gun accidentally discharge in the bleachers and have nobody hear. It's just really dumb luck.

Chicago has more murders than anywhere else in the country and it's not even close. The per capita stuff is ridiculous when the cities being compared are far closer in population to a single Chicago neighborhood than Chicago itself. Austin the neighborhood has 100k people and would be statistically the most dangerous place in the Western world if you isolated it out. It's ridiculous to use some affluent northshore area to ignore stuff like that. Philly is really the only place that compares to Chicago on the whole. That said Bridgeport is awesome. There's some shitty places around it though. You don't want its rep slipping because other idiots around it.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

It's really unfortunate that White Sox fans propagate this myth. The city was more violent in the 70's, 80's, and 90's. Bridgeport, specifically, is a far better place to live, or watch a game, than it was even 20 years ago.

It's just like Colombia...you don't say that name without conjuring up images of Escobar and the cartels and maybe guerrilla fighters in the jungle.  Perhaps coffee as well.

How many more years will have to pass before the perception changes...that it's actually much safer there now than a number of Central and S.American countries?

Tough to win that one with so many movies and tv shows bringing renewed attention.  No matter how much they spend on eco-tourism marketing to counter it.

• Texsox changed the title to Update: 3 (2) fans injured by bullet in Guaranteed Rate field (split from game thread, police investigation underway)
  • Kyyle23 locked this topic
  • Kyyle23 unlocked this topic