Update: 3 (2) fans injured by bullet in Guaranteed Rate field (split from game thread, police investigation underway)

Chicago White Sox

Here is the link to the article above:

https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/2023/08/26/white-sox-shooting-incident/

So, not only did the White Sox, MLB, and Chicago Police not suspend the game, evacuate the fans, or even inform them of what had happened, they tried to sweep it under the rug. They tried to keep the information off the air on the police radio, and then the White Sox misled fans with their statement on the cancellation of the performance at the end of the game.

• Thanks 2

Have to side with the Sox/CPD on this one.  Sending 20000 out of the building TOWARDS where they believe the shot came from, while rumors started spreading of a shooter could have caused a horrible panic costing many lives.  Nobody died, nobody seriously hurt, therefore correct response.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

27 minutes ago, Texsox said:

A bullet doesn't fly on a rainbow shaped path. Ballistic tests should be able to prove if it was the backyard celebration. I'm guessing math teachers or possibly social studies. 

Totally depends on launch angle. A bullet could travel a mile. Combine that with the fact that nobody inside the park heard a gunshot and this currently stands as the most likely explanation.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, fathom said:

It’s the worst franchise in sports, and that’s only based off of what becomes public.   There’s so much stuff out there doesn’t go public which makes you sick.

I agree with your statement.

Nobody dislikes Reinsdorf and his organization more than I do.  However, in this case I'm not going to pile on.

Maybe it was better that they didn't start a panic and have everyone rushing for the exits all at once causing a stampede in which more people may have been hurt.  And if the shot really came from outside the park, it's probably good they didn't send people outside the park until they knew exactly what was going on.  As it was nobody was seriously injured and even people sitting nearby had no idea anything was amiss.  It was a relatively minor incident. 

Unfortunately these things can happen anywhere, but it's especially not surprising that it would happen in Chicago.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

CWBChicago has an update.

https://cwbchicago.com/2023/08/bullet-that-struck-2-fans-during-white-sox-game-may-have-been-fired-a-mile-away.html

Let’s just say everything is preliminary to say the least. My first suspicion is CPD / City wanted to find any evidence beyond the ballpark, and the ShotSpotter ping was the closest they could offer at this time.

I’ll try to find a bigger screen to view the video, but I did not see a flash nor note any altercations around the video tweet from Jay Cohen..

2 hours ago, bmags said:

Hmmm…seems like everyone else was right that it was unlikely a gun went off a few feet from them, people were injured, and no one noticed.

I know when people spill their beers around me.

Definitely possible, but I was only speculating from what I know. A falling bullet could cause the kind of damage listed, but the only thing is that it’s unlikely to have injured more than one person. But again, the descriptions are still so vague that it’s hard to draw conclusions. Maybe one person was hit and the other two injured themselves reacting to the first person being hit? A lot of possibilities.

8 hours ago, greg775 said:

Will be interesting to follow this. Should be a huge story. Remember the old story true or not about a bullet from Cabrini Green hitting a seat at old Comiskey? That was a huge story or wives tale but got a lot of attention.

This ... massive news. Let's see if it gets covered at all. I already saw a news video report on it where the reporter seemed frustrated no news yet provided reporters.

This shooting, inside the park during a game, should be unprecedented. Can't ever recall this happening. For the Sox to continue the game, inexcusable!! This is huge news. Let's see what develops. What the police say happened. If there were live bullets fired, Sox should be ashamed. Got to clear the stadium unless they are sure they apprehended the shooter.

Robert Taylor homes? I don’t think a bullet is making it from Cabrini.

• Like 2

From Second City Cop:

http://secondcitycop.blogspot.com/?m=1

This is probably not true:

• A statement from the White Sox said it was unclear whether the bullets were fired from inside or outside the park.

You ever think about shooting into what is essentially a giant bowl? You have to shoot across a parking lot, over a wall, then have the bullet drop. Given that there's at least one witness who heard a pop, it would seem a safe bet that someone got a gun in past security. But maybe we're wrong. 

MLB and the White Sox can't be happy with a "lax security" story getting out there or the old ball park will become a shooting gallery for ne'er-do-wells who know how Swiss-cheesy security is and what's left of the Sox fan base fades away.

Hopefully uncensored and accurate details will emerge over the next few days.

15 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Totally depends on launch angle. A bullet could travel a mile. Combine that with the fact that nobody inside the park heard a gunshot and this currently stands as the most likely explanation.

Exactly. Posters were wondering how it could hit that section. 

Flying under the radar now but this could be a historically bad moment for the organization.

I think we might find out how powerful Jerry is based on how this story is told and how far it runs.  If the bullet did indeed travel a mile, it is more of an indictment on Chicago in general but will the story be portrayed that way? 

It was definitely shot outside the stadium, as crazy as that sounds.  There's no way a gun went off in the park and not a single person has come forward claiming they heard it.

I'm glad everyone is going to be okay.  Not a good look!  Maybe they should reconsider their movie where they proudly link the team to the ghetto.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, greg775 said:

This shooting, inside the park during a game, should be unprecedented. Can't ever recall this happening. For the Sox to continue the game, inexcusable!! This is huge news. Let's see what develops. What the police say happened. If there were live bullets fired, Sox should be ashamed. Got to clear the stadium unless they are sure they apprehended the shooter.

I was at a pro wrestling show back in 1975 at the Amphitheatre when someone from the upper balcony pulled a gun and started firing at the ring.  He missed the wrestlers and referee but hit a few people sitting at ringside.  I heard a few "pops" but had no idea they were gunshots.

We didn't know anything about it until we were walking home late that night after stopping for a pizza at a place near our own neighborhood after the show.  The police pulled up to us because we were underage and it was long past curfew.  They asked what we were doing and we told them we were walking home from the pizza place.  They asked why so late and we told them we were previously at the wrestling matches.  One of the policemen asked, "What happened there?" and I started telling him the results of the matches.  He said, "No, I mean what happened with the shooting?"  We said, "What shooting?"  We were right there and we didn't even know about it and first found out when the policeman told us what had happened.  There was no panic, no announcements and most people there had no idea there was an active shooter in the crowd and that several people had been hit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

CWBChicago has an update.

https://cwbchicago.com/2023/08/bullet-that-struck-2-fans-during-white-sox-game-may-have-been-fired-a-mile-away.html

Let’s just say everything is preliminary to say the least. My first suspicion is CPD / City wanted to find any evidence beyond the ballpark, and the ShotSpotter ping was the closest they could offer at this time.

I’ll try to find a bigger screen to view the video, but I did not see a flash nor note any altercations around the video tweet from Jay Cohen..

I’m leaning towards that theory that the bullet was a stray fired from outside the park.

The recovered round was mostly intact which gives credibility to it being fired outside the park. Nobody in custody, no weapon recovered, and the area south of the park is a shooting gallery. Good luck getting free agents to sign here knowing a round could land on their head.....however that's a problem in most major cities now. Good thing Brandon Johnson accidentally wrote shotspotter a check in that at least there's some lead.....kinda.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Texsox said:

Where y'all aware that there is technology in place to listen throughout the city for gunshots? 

That's the first I heard of a outdoor, wide area system.  

Also that your license plate is being recorded as you drive around. I have seen the reports. 

1 minute ago, Texsox said:

Where y'all aware that there is technology in place to listen throughout the city for gunshots? 

That's the first I heard of a outdoor, wide area system.  

We’ve had it since 2018. Over 100 cities have this including likely a few in Texas.

Activists” wanted to be the program, and the mayor publicly ran on ending the program, but the contract was renewed last October

• Texsox changed the title to Update: 3 (2) fans injured by bullet in Guaranteed Rate field (split from game thread, police investigation underway)
  • Kyyle23 locked this topic
  • Kyyle23 unlocked this topic