Zavala DFA, Cronin up, Lambert to IL

Balta1701

Seby's DFA has me thinking about the Sox paltry 40 man.  Here are my takes so far, assuming that Clevinger, Andrus, Trayce Thompson, Grandal, and Hendriks are not brought back:

Guys who could/have to be added to the 40 (5):  Carela, Eder, Mena, Matt Thompson, Wilfred Veras.

Guys who are definitely staying (15): Bummer, Cease, Crochet, Kopech, Santos, Kory Lee, Ramos, Moncada, Popeye, Sosa, Colas, Jimenez, Robert, Vaughn, Benintendi.

Bubble (10): TA (contract option), Banks, Lambert, Davis Martin, Lane Ramsey, Sammy Peralta, Scholtens, Toussaint, Sheets, Carlos Perez, Romy Gonzalez.

The first 3 groups add up to 30 and I wouldn't even keep/add all of them.  Here's the dregs of the 40 man(10):  Cronin, Matt Foster, Deivi Garcia, Navarro, Padilla, Patino, Remillard, Frazier, Haseley, Naquin.

(Not sure if Naquin is eligible for FA. Wouldn't bring him back regardless.)

Now, you could keep every single player I have listed here. That is a 40 man roster, but ugh. Half the guys on there are release candidates/AAAA players. Who would you guys Keep, Release, Try to trade?

5 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Seby's DFA has me thinking about the Sox paltry 40 man.  Here are my takes so far, assuming that Clevinger, Andrus, Trayce Thompson, Grandal, and Hendriks are not brought back:

Guys who could/have to be added to the 40 (5):  Carela, Eder, Mena, Matt Thompson, Wilfred Veras.

Guys who are definitely staying (15): Bummer, Cease, Crochet, Kopech, Santos, Kory Lee, Ramos, Moncada, Popeye, Sosa, Colas, Jimenez, Robert, Vaughn, Benintendi.

Bubble (10): TA (contract option), Banks, Lambert, Davis Martin, Lane Ramsey, Sammy Peralta, Scholtens, Toussaint, Sheets, Carlos Perez, Romy Gonzalez.

The first 3 groups add up to 30 and I wouldn't even keep/add all of them.  Here's the dregs of the 40 man(10):  Cronin, Matt Foster, Deivi Garcia, Navarro, Padilla, Patino, Remillard, Frazier, Haseley, Naquin.

Now, you could keep every single player I have listed here. That is a 40 man roster, but ugh. Half the guys on there are release candidates/AAAA players. Who would you guys Keep, Release, Try to trade?

Somehow, someway Moncada, Jimenez, Bummer and Anderson have got to go. Doesn't matter if they lose 120 games next year. It's called addition by subtraction for long term health. 

1 hour ago, Timmy U said:

I would have claimed Mejia for the f*** of it if we were going to drop Zavala and lose Yaz soon. 

2 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Somehow, someway Moncada, Jimenez, Bummer and Anderson have got to go. Doesn't matter if they lose 120 games next year. It's called addition by subtraction for long term health. 

Which is why trading Burger made zero sense if we were simply going to turn around and dump Moncada.

Sure, you can throw someone like Ramos or Romy Gonzalez or Remillard to the wolves for one season at third base, but YUCK...

2 hours ago, Timmy U said:

From the bubble I think Touissant, Schlotens, and Martin (despite the injury) all hang around. Same for Patino on the dregs.

It's likely that none of them amount to anything, but even if the Sox sign multiple starters, having those four, Mena and Nastrini is immediately better emergency starter depth than this year's plan of Martin after he ended 2022 with an injury.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Honeywell?   Where did he end up?   Charlotte?

I think Deivi Garcia over from the Yankees gets a shot at some starts down the stretch as well.

Might as well throw darts against the wall like we should have done from 2016-19.

DFA'd, now in Charlotte.

And yeah, Garcia might be fun. He's only thrown 7 innings in Charlotte, but hasn't been obliterated, which is a good sign in that park/this system.

17 hours ago, Timmy U said:

Bolded tally to 34.  Think the non-bolded in the final group are easy cuts.  Sox may elect to hold onto Peralta and Perez, but I'd say those are most likely cuts from the bubble group. Worth noting that all of Touki, Deivi Garcia, Luis Patino and Jimmy Lambert are out of options or will be next season. Obviously all of them aren't making the 2024 OD roster, though I think Touki has at least earned a roster spot to start the season, imo. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Bolded tally to 34.  Think the non-bolded in the final group are easy cuts.  Sox may elect to hold onto Peralta and Perez, but I'd say those are most likely cuts from the bubble group. Worth noting that all of Touki, Deivi Garcia, Luis Patino and Jimmy Lambert are out of options or will be next season. Obviously all of them aren't making the 2024 OD roster, though I think Touki has at least earned a roster spot to start the season, imo. 

Thanks. Looks like a good list. I may not ultimately keep 34 of them.  I feel like they've probably got to bring in close to 10 new guys from other orgs because, despite all the talk of "talent," it's obvious that the Sox roster lacks true major leaguers.  They literally have about 7-8 guys who are proven big leaguers that I have any amount of faith in.  Everybody else is just roster filler.  Remillard, for instance, sure keep him I guess.  30 year-old utility player without a carrying tool.  This team is acres away from competitive.

I guess if you count a few guy who don't have to be on the 40-man like Montgomery, Nastrini, and Quero, they may be able to cobble together a team, but I think there is going to be some serious dumpster diving this offseason trying to find their version of Noda.

25 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I'm gonna try and make my suicide squad that JR/Getz/Pedro will try to sell us on

• Gio on a prove it deal working with Katz
  • ReyLo the closer returns
  • Nola, this year's big FA
  • Trayce Thompson returns as the fourth OF, team "really likes what he showed" in his short stint
  • Pedro really pushes for a Salvador Perez trade, but Jerry doesn't want to take on the extra money.
  • Team signs Martin "hitting .186" Maldonado due to his 2019 stint in Kansas City.
  • Naperville's Nicky Lopez is brought on due to the winning culture in ATL, but also KC.

Jose Rodriguez, Quero, and Veras tear up Charlotte while Pedro/Getz say "they need more seasoning" before he disturbs the vet presence in the clubhouse that is Lopez, Maldonado, and Sheets.

1 hour ago, Quin said:

I'm gonna try and make my suicide squad that JR/Getz/Pedro will try to sell us on

• Trayce Thompson returns as the fourth OF, team "really likes what he showed" in his short stint
  • Pedro really pushes for a Salvador Perez trade, but Jerry doesn't want to take on the extra money.
  • Team signs Martin "hitting .186" Maldonado due to his 2019 stint in Kansas City.
  • Naperville's Nicky Lopez is brought on due to the winning culture in ATL, but also KC.

Jose Rodriguez, Quero, and Veras tear up Charlotte while Pedro/Getz say "they need more seasoning" before he disturbs the vet presence in the clubhouse that is Lopez, Maldonado, and Sheets.

I'd be pretty happy with the first three.  

Cease, Nola, Giolito, Kopech, and Clevinger (think there is decent chance this is one of those rare instances both sides opt in) or another $10M stop gap type isn't awful with Nastrini, Mena, Eder, Thompson, Davis Martin, Sean Burke and Ky Bush as upper minors SP depth.  Could be a lot worse.  

I am not as against a Salvy Perez deal as some Sox fans.  He's a shell of his former self, but would be a fine add if Royals kicked in some serious cash (i think they'd need to send upwards of $30M to make it worthwhile), while Sox send basically nothing their way. I have no interest in paying Salvy more than like $7M AAV, and he's due 2/$44M.  Assuming that doesn't work for the Royals, Maldonado would be OK I guess.  At least you know the glove is great.  The catching options aren't exactly great, and the Sox obviously have to do something at the catching position.  

Going to need to see more shakeup on the offensive side, though.  It's going to require creativity. 

1 hour ago, Quin said:

The one out of this that made me raise an eyebrow was Nola because he clearly is going to get a multi-year, 9 figure deal. 

20 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The one out of this that made me raise an eyebrow was Nola because he clearly is going to get a multi-year, 9 figure deal. 

He's got a 4.55 ERA, 4.23 FIP and is allowing a lot of homers (not as many as Gio and Lynn, but just behind them).

He's getting a multi-year, but I don't know about 9 figures unless it's a desperate team 

20 hours ago, Timmy U said:

Just a FYI but I count 11 names as bubble.  Any close calls of minor league guys who need to be added to the 40 that you didn't?  I haven't looked at that yet.  I agree we have room for multiple flyers and rule 5 guys.  I could also see some vets on minor league deals with opt outs.

9 minutes ago, Quin said:

He's got a 4.55 ERA, 4.23 FIP and is allowing a lot of homers (not as many as Gio and Lynn, but just behind them).

He's getting a multi-year, but I don't know about 9 figures unless it's a desperate team 

3 fWAR pitcher this year so far so will probably finish over 3.5, 6 fWAR last year, going to average nearly 200 innings/year over a 3 year period since the pandemic, maybe his stuff has gotten worse this year and I haven't checked that? With how many teams need pitching, I can't imagine him going cheap unless something happens soon.

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

3 fWAR pitcher this year so far so will probably finish over 3.5, 6 fWAR last year, going to average nearly 200 innings/year over a 3 year period since the pandemic, maybe his stuff has gotten worse this year and I haven't checked that? With how many teams need pitching, I can't imagine him going cheap unless something happens soon.

And Urias is obviously off the market.

That makes Nola and Snell the only two reputation-wise close to aces or TOR guys available.

15 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

Just a FYI but I count 11 names as bubble.  Any close calls of minor league guys who need to be added to the 40 that you didn't?  I haven't looked at that yet.  I agree we have room for multiple flyers and rule 5 guys.  I could also see some vets on minor league deals with opt outs.

Thanks. I miscounted, so they've got to cut at least 1 guy from this list. Agonizing. 

James would probably know batter than I do, but I believe players younger than 19 when they signed in 2019 have to be protected, and college guys from 2020 have to be protected. It was a short draft in which the Sox fared poorly, so only Crochet from there. The 2019 International class was Mena, Veras, and Elijah Tatis, so I think I got everyone there. I think Nastrini, Bush, and Quero are all from 2021.  Tatum is 2021, as is Montgomery, Kath, and Gil Luna. Schultz, Baldwin, Burke, Elko, Cannon, Pallette, etc all last year.  I'm sure someone could argue for relievers like Haylen Green?  Or Caleb Freeman? But the pickings are pretty slim. I suppose you could say Gladney is Rule 5 eligible, but no one's trying to keep him on an mlb roster next year.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I suck at reading StatCast but it looks like it declined?

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/aaron-nola-605400?stats=statcast-r-pitching-mlb

Also, I feel like teams might be wary after a lot of last year's mega deals busted. It's JR's fantasy.

43 minutes ago, Quin said:

I suck at reading StatCast but it looks like it declined?

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/aaron-nola-605400?stats=statcast-r-pitching-mlb

Also, I feel like teams might be wary after a lot of last year's mega deals busted. It's JR's fantasy.

DeGrom. Bogaerts. Story from the year before. Baez.  Judge.  It has been a minefield.

Our biggest FA moves like Dunn, Grandal and now Benintendi the next level down all busts.