They Gone - lots of coaching changes

Texsox

36 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

Genuine question, but how much difference does the hitting coach actually make to established MLB players like Moncada, Jiminez, Anderson etc? And do you actually think those players are actually open to or capable of change?

I don't know how it happened, but someone managed to make them more aggressive, more ground ball focused, and less power focused than they were on those things in 2022, when they were really quite bad at all of them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chimpton said:

Genuine question, but how much difference does the hitting coach actually make to established MLB players like Moncada, Jiminez, Anderson etc? And do you actually think those players are actually open to or capable of change?

I know in golf  players at all levels will make changes to their swings while working with their coaches. I don't see why baseball players would be any different. 

Some players have stuck with their personal instructors instead of the team coach. 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Admitting you have a problem is the first step in recovery. 

While it's less change than most fans wanted, it's much more than experienced fans expected. We could win 70 next year!!

Progress over the next 12 months will primarily be measured by what Getz does or doesn't do to put the Sox in a position to legitimately contend (90 + wins, legitimate playoff success) say in 2026 / 2027 when their top prospects are established more so than their final 2024 won loss record.

That said, hope they don't go full tank mode and try to bring in reasonable players/contracts to improve and possibly flip in July for prospects that could help add to a future core. The MLB Trade Rumor article I added as a topic provided many options in terms of player acquisitions which will make 2024 more enjoyable to watch in the interim.

Would like to see Getz be candid in an open press conference before the Winter Meetings to explain his approach and a legitimate timeline once he can establish the rest of the FO and work with Pedro on completing the coaching staff. Needs to be credible, not vague Hahn BS.

2 hours ago, Texsox said:

I'm willing to give Pedro another year with almost a new, plus it will be his, staff. All new hitting which is huge. 

I don’t know if he’ll get to pick the hitting coach. It seems like most GMs make that hire themselves these days.

And I don’t get why everyone thinks Katz should’ve been fired. Look at the garbage he had to work with but there were some guys who took steps. Santos was a nice discovery, Scholtens another one. 

5 minutes ago, Boopa1219 said:

I don’t know if he’ll get to pick the hitting coach. It seems like most GMs make that hire themselves these days.

And I don’t get why everyone thinks Katz should’ve been fired. Look at the garbage he had to work with but there were some guys who took steps. Santos was a nice discovery, Scholtens another one. 

Are you happy with the seasons by Kopech, Cease, Kelly, Lynn, Giolito, Lopez? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Are you happy with the seasons by Kopech, Cease, Kelly, Lynn, Giolito, Lopez? 

Lance Lynn doesn’t take care of his body which is beyond dumb for an older pitcher. I think Stone alluded multiple times that Lynn was very out of shape when he broke camp. I don’t blame the pitching coach, I blame the manager who is seemingly afraid of veterans for allowing that to happen.

2023 wasn’t one of his best years but Giolito was solid with the Sox. Joe Kelly was league average. Lopez was surprisingly above league average for the Sox as well. Let’s not forget to mention Clevinger who put up 3.3 WAR for the Sox this year with a ERA+ of 118, that signing while controversial was a huge success.

Yeah, Cease‘s command took a step back. And Kopech unraveled but I don’t think Katz is the problem.

• Fire 1

22 minutes ago, Boopa1219 said:

Lance Lynn doesn’t take care of his body which is beyond dumb for an older pitcher. I think Stone alluded multiple times that Lynn was very out of shape when he broke camp. I don’t blame the pitching coach, I blame the manager who is seemingly afraid of veterans for allowing that to happen.

2023 wasn’t one of his best years but Giolito was solid with the Sox. Joe Kelly was league average. Lopez was surprisingly above league average for the Sox as well. Let’s not forget to mention Clevinger who put up 3.3 WAR for the Sox this year with a ERA+ of 118, that signing while controversial was a huge success.

Yeah, Cease‘s command took a step back. And Kopech unraveled but I don’t think Katz is the problem.

F*** man, you said Joe Kelly was league average, dude put up -0.2 rWAR with the White Sox, he wasn't even replacement level! By that standard, Ethan Katz did a great job on me, while posting here I produced 0.0 rWAR for the White Sox this year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Boopa1219 said:

He was another friends and family hire from a dark era in Sox history. 

"Aggressive hitting" has long been an organizational philosophy that Getz, hopefully, expunges.
But I really can't imagine any coach actually teaching players to hit the ball on the ground, nor players doing that intentionally (other than when some clown manager orders them to intentionally make outs in order to move those runners up).

4 hours ago, Chimpton said:

It’s a fair question, but every time I doubt it’s significance, I remember Marcus Semien. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

5 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

F*** man, you said Joe Kelly was league average, dude put up -0.2 rWAR with the White Sox, he wasn't even replacement level! By that standard, Ethan Katz did a great job on me, while posting here I produced 0.0 rWAR for the White Sox this year.

Wasn’t his ERA+ 92, not exact league average but near

11 hours ago, GreenSox said:

"Aggressive hitting" has long been an organizational philosophy that Getz, hopefully, expunges.
But I really can't imagine any coach actually teaching players to hit the ball on the ground, nor players doing that intentionally (other than when some clown manager orders them to intentionally make outs in order to move those runners up).

I do think organizational is true. I think a lot of the problem is a failure to wrangle players that entered the org as aggressive, but it’s shocking that they can’t even get a profile like Vaughn to be more selective and walk more thru better information and help.

I am of the mind, given the Sox limited options, that firing Steverson was a mistake.