MLB Trade Rumors - Chicago White Sox Offseason Outlook - by Tim Dierkes

South Side Hit Men

On 10/5/2023 at 3:18 PM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I Buy out TA. If he can get $14M or a 3 year contract @$45M+ let him try. Forget about Merrifield and put in Lenyn Sosa either at SS or 2B that saves you a lot, as would trading away Eloy . If Soler doesn't resign with Marlins , sign him for some power at DH. Try your hand at some other LH hitters if anyone bites on Eloy. If you sign 1 big position player make it Bellinger. He should be an interesting follow this off season. Michael A .Taylor isn't a bad option  although his OBP sucks. Nice speed and defense, decent pop.

I'm not even going to try on SP and RP accept to say if you open up some payroll space and dependent on how much JR decides he's going to spend you could sign one of the better starting pitches in some fantasy scenario that involves signing with an organization like the White Sox.

I still have to laugh looking at Andrew Benintendi. Hell Duvall although older would have given you more than Benintendi had you just offered him 2 years. He can't stay healthy but when he's on the field he produces. He's available again .

As long as we keep Sheets nothing else matters. 

2 hours ago, pcq said:

As long as we keep Sheets nothing else matters. 

Gavin is one of the longest tenured White Sox on the squad at year end.

10/1/23 40 Man Roster Most White Sox Games Played: (White Sox Seasons)

1. 895 Tim Anderson (8)
  2. 727 Yoan Moncada (7)
  3. 436 Eloy Jimenez (5)
  4. 413 Andrew Vaughn (3)
  5. 367 Luis Robert Junior (4)
  6. 356 Yasmani Grandal (4)
  7. 296 Gavin Sheets (3)
  8. 289 Aaron Bummer (7)
  9. 155 Elvis Andrus (2)
  10. 151 Andrew Benintendi (1)
  11. 132 Liam Hendriks (3)
  12. 128 Trayce Thompson (3)
  13. 123 Dylan Cease (5)
  14. 108 Matt Foster (3)
  15. 103 Michael Kopech (4)
  16. 86 Romy Gonzalez (3)
  17. 83 Jimmy Lambert (4)
  18. 75 Oscar Colas (1)
  19. 72 Garrett Crochet (3)
  20. 67 Tanner Banks (2)
  21. 63 Lenyn Sosa (2)
  22. 60 Gregory Santos (1)
  23. 54 Zach Remillard (1)
  24. 42 Adam Haseley (2)
  25. 38 Bryan Shaw (1)
  26. 34 Carlos Perez (2)
  27. 33 Clint Frazier (1)
  28. 26 Jesse Scholtens (1)
  29. 24 Korey Lee (1)
  30. 24 Mike Clevinger (1)
  31. 21 Lane Ramsey (1)
  32. 19 Touki Toussaint (1)
  33. 16 Sammy Peralta (1)
  34. 14 Davis Martin (1)
  35. 9 Declan Cronin (1)
  36. 8 Edgar Navarro (1)
  37. 7 Luis Patino (1)
  38. 6 Deivi Garcia (1)
  39. Jose Urena (1)
  40. 5 Yohan Ramirez (1)
  41. 5 Tyler Naquin (1)
  42. 3 Nicholas Padilla (1)
  43. 1 Jose Rodriguez (1)
  44. Bryan Ramos (0)
Edited by South Side Hit Men

On 10/5/2023 at 4:56 AM, caulfield12 said:

I just don't think there's any way in hell the Sox add back on that much payroll absolutely knowing they will be seeing another 25-30% drop off in season tickets and will suffer more pretty much guaranteed losses (especially with Grifol back too).

I find it absolutely weird that the Sox will see another 30% drop off in season tickets and additional huge drop in TV ratings and yet the franchise is worth what, 2 billion dollars? And didn't the Ballys sports network or one of those fold and have to be taken over by MLB? Yet the Sox are worth 2 bill? Must be nice to be a sports owner when this non sequitir exists. I guess the Sox have a ballpark worth a lot of money (parking) and are still selling a lot of merchandise to go with whatever their TV deal is despite the fact nobody watches anymore.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I find it absolutely weird that the Sox will see another 30% drop off in season tickets and additional huge drop in TV ratings and yet the franchise is worth what, 2 billion dollars? And didn't the Ballys sports network or one of those fold and have to be taken over by MLB? Yet the Sox are worth 2 bill? Must be nice to be a sports owner when this non sequitir exists. I guess the Sox have a ballpark worth a lot of money (parking) and are still selling a lot of merchandise to go with whatever their TV deal is despite the fact nobody watches anymore.

Forbes Business latest estimate was the Sox were worth 1.75 billion but in the event of an unexpected sale by JR they'd go for two billion.

The move is obviously to keep rebuilding, but who do we have left that has any value? Cease(coming off a down year), Robert…and ??? No idea how they turn this thing around other than 3-4 more bad years with good drafting. And that’s like asking for a miracle with this organization. 

Sadly the best solution for the mental health of us fans is to just ignore the Sox as much as possible until there’s a new owner. 

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

There’s maybe 100 sports franchise in the country worth owning and the Sox are 1 of them. There’s almost 800 billionaires in the US alone. The scarcity makes it make perfect sense. 

Plus, if done right, a baseball franchise in a major market like Chicago SHOULD be a great way to make a profit. We just have unfortunately been stuck with Jerry, who doesn’t care enough to do things the right way to cultivate and keep the fan base 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

The move is obviously to keep rebuilding, but who do we have left that has any value? Cease(coming off a down year), Robert…and ??? No idea how they turn this thing around other than 3-4 more bad years with good drafting. And that’s like asking for a miracle with this organization. 

Sadly the best solution for the mental health of us fans is to just ignore the Sox as much as possible until there’s a new owner. 

Shoulda dealt Cease at the deadline.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

There’s maybe 100 sports franchise in the country worth owning and the Sox are 1 of them. There’s almost 800 billionaires in the US alone. The scarcity makes it make perfect sense.

But it's so strange TV companies that covered baseball are going bankrupt and Sox attendance blows now and is downward trending. It takes a huge payroll to get decent players and yet the Sox are worth 2 billion. Also the world has never been in a more precarious state (Covid type diseases can shut it down, violence if it doesn't stop could shut it down; wasn't there a gun incident in the Cell?). It seems there are so many things downward trending re. baseball yet ... Sox are worth 2 bill. If I were Jerry I'd sell it and take the 2 bill and start dishing it to his survivors.

Edited by greg775

29 minutes ago, greg775 said:

But it's so strange TV companies that covered baseball are going bankrupt and Sox attendance blows now and is downward trending. It takes a huge payroll to get decent players and yet the Sox are worth 2 billion. Also the world has never been in a more precarious state (Covid type diseases can shut it down, violence if it doesn't stop could shut it down; wasn't there a gun incident in the Cell?). It seems there are so many things downward trending re. baseball yet ... Sox are worth 2 bill. If I were Jerry I'd sell it and take the 2 bill and start dishing it to his survivors.

But the poor fellow would have all that tax to pay.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Plus, if done right, a baseball franchise in a major market like Chicago SHOULD be a great way to make a profit. We just have unfortunately been stuck with Jerry, who doesn’t care enough to do things the right way to cultivate and keep the fan base 

A smart likable owner can reverse four plus decades of decline under Reinsdorf and recapture or exceed a 50% Chicago fan base.

• At minimum a weekly Sunday game on WGN TV (dual simulcast with the cable channel), plus the entire 162 game schedule on WSNS (Telemundo) or WGBO (Univision) to regain exposure in the Chicago market, as other non televised teams lose relevancy in a cord cutting environment.
  • Everybody is welcome back to enjoy games. Cash accepted at ticket windows & concession stands, paper tickets issued by the White Sox (season tickets mailed or box office in person) accepted in addition to phone tickets. Paper print at home are not accepted to prevent duplicate / fraud issues.
  • Commit to staying at Comiskey Park with a 2-3 decade lease extension, pledge to use a portion of the windfall profits with the extended lease to:
    • Sponsor White Sox youth leagues throughout Chicago (CPD ballparks + Suburbs including equipment and or league / umpire costs).
    • Restore Veeck era school tickets for students (perfect attendance and/or A or B level grades).
    • Make parking (all games) and concessions (at minimum, rotating select weeknight specials) affordable.
    • Properly staff the stadium and security to prevent / intercede quickly to halt the violent brawls and gun violence plaguing the stadium this season.
  • Rename the ballpark Comiskey Park or White Sox Park, can still have a sponsor just underneath the marque like Wintrust proposed "Wintrust Field at Comiskey Park", which was the high bid rejected by Jerry Reinsdorf in scam for kickback payments from the sad current down arrow sponsor.
  • Ownership, management and announcers stop taunting White Sox fans or former players as scum or worse.
  • Owner hires baseball professionals to make baseball decisions, ownership does not micromanage or intercede.
  • Hire a baseball VP of Marketing to cater to all Chicagoans, not just aging boomers.
  • Host a 1983 Uniform Demolition Night.
Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, JoeC said:

Also known as “Chris Sale Appreciation Night”

Actually, Chris Sale destroyed the 1976 throwback uniforms, not the 1983 uniforms.

https://globalnews.ca/news/2845613/white-sox-chris-sales-destruction-of-throwback-jerseys-joins-list-of-ugly-uniform-incidents/

#TeamDrakeLaRoche

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

A smart likable owner can reverse four plus decades of decline under Reinsdorf and recapture or exceed a 50% Chicago fan base.

• At minimum a weekly Sunday game on WGN TV (dual simulcast with the cable channel), plus the entire 162 game schedule on WSNS (Telemundo) or WGBO (Univision) to regain exposure in the Chicago market, as other non televised teams lose relevancy in a cord cutting environment.
  • Everybody is welcome back to enjoy games. Cash accepted at ticket windows & concession stands, paper tickets issued by the White Sox (season tickets mailed or box office in person) accepted in addition to phone tickets. Paper print at home are not accepted to prevent duplicate / fraud issues.
  • Commit to staying at Comiskey Park with a 2-3 decade lease extension, pledge to use a portion of the windfall profits with the extended lease to:
    • Sponsor White Sox youth leagues throughout Chicago (CPD ballparks + Suburbs including equipment and or league / umpire costs).
    • Restore Veeck era school tickets for students (perfect attendance and/or A or B level grades).
    • Make parking (all games) and concessions (at minimum, rotating select weeknight specials) affordable.
    • Properly staff the stadium and security to prevent / intercede quickly to halt the violent brawls and gun violence plaguing the stadium this season.
  • Rename the ballpark Comiskey Park or White Sox Park, can still have a sponsor just underneath the marque like Wintrust proposed "Wintrust Field at Comiskey Park", which was the high bid rejected by Jerry Reinsdorf in scam for kickback payments from the sad current down arrow sponsor.
  • Ownership, management and announcers stop taunting White Sox fans or former players as scum or worse.
  • Owner hires baseball professionals to make baseball decisions, ownership does not micromanage or intercede.
  • Hire a baseball VP of Marketing to cater to all Chicagoans, not just aging boomers.
  • Host a 1983 Uniform Demolition Night.

The first point in your dream sequence is interesting. Now that WGN has been out of the sports business for several seasons now I wonder if they'd be willing to spend the millions of dollars needed to buy production trucks, equipment and hire all the technical individuals needed to actually go back to airing games. 

I suspect they nor the other stations you mentioned would do so.

Overall I think it would be nice if some of your wishes were brought back but regardless of whomever owns the club those ideas have sailed into never-never land and they aren't coming back.

I'm sure their rational would be, "This isn't 1958, 1965 or 1972 anymore...deal with it."

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I'm sure their rational would be, "This isn't 1958, 1965 or 1972 anymore...deal with it."

Excellent point, LipMan. They won't be lowering parking or concession prices or going to paper tickets. Won't ever happen.

6 hours ago, greg775 said:

Excellent point, LipMan. They won't be lowering parking or concession prices or going to paper tickets. Won't ever happen.

You keep excluding more and more people from society, via older people or people who don't have credit or apple type phones, and you keep losing fan interest over time. What, to profit off of selling your customer phone data? Pathetic. You lose a lot of money just on time alone in terms of concession sales paying a vendor or stand a $5 or $10 bill versus swiping cards and wasting an extra 20-30 seconds plus per transaction. 

Also, the television feed is already there with the cable TV production, it's a dual broadcast, just with Spanish announcers as well (or simulcast announcers from the cable feed for Sunday English WGN games). There is zero extra cost beyond Spanish announcers and a few people to work that feed.

5 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

You keep excluding more and more people from society, via older people or people who don't have credit or apple type phones, and you keep losing fan interest over time. What, to profit off of selling your customer phone data? Pathetic. You lose a lot of money just on time alone in terms of concession sales paying a vendor or stand a $5 or $10 bill versus swiping cards and wasting an extra 20-30 seconds plus per transaction. 

Also, the television feed is already there with the cable TV production, it's a dual broadcast, just with Spanish announcers as well (or simulcast announcers from the cable feed for Sunday English WGN games). There is zero extra cost beyond Spanish announcers and a few people to work that feed.

Your assumption is that NBC Sports Chicago will no longer be around and that all their equipment would be available to be purchased by WGN. No guarantees along those lines.

NBC Sports Chicago may have other plans for that equipment or it could potentially be outdated given the latest technology.

All I'm saying is there are no guarantees. I suspect WGN would have little interest in getting back into the sports business unfortunately.