Getz speaks at GM meetings...

Lip Man 1

19 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Trading Luis  Robert Jr would be the greatest PR disaster the team has had since the White Flag trade.

What good is holding onto Robert when there are literally no supporting pieces around him? Are we aspiring to be a 70-win team in 2024 or something?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, JoeC said:

What good is holding onto Robert when there are literally no supporting pieces around him? Are we aspiring to be a 70-win team in 2024 or something?

You also need to decide that the return is worth it. Because of his contract, Robert is literally one of the most valuable pieces in all of baseball. Only a few teams can actually afford to trade for him, and those who can might not be willing to do so. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JoeC said:

It's a very good point.

ALL of White Sox internet is just so opposed to trading our only player of value.  Complete despair, total resignation that the team is in the worst shape in decades, but somehow still want to try and piece something together?  

Just because it didn't work last time around doesn't mean a complete tear down is still the correct answer in this situation. 

Edited by GREEDY

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

You also need to decide that the return is worth it. Because of his contract, Robert is literally one of the most valuable pieces in all of baseball. Only a few teams can actually afford to trade for him, and those who can might not be willing to do so. 

This is the unfortunate truth. It might be 2 years before someone is willing to pay what it takes for Robert. I'm pretty sure he's untradeable this offseason. Similar to Sale, you might be able to get an adequate return in winter 2024-25 with 3 years left. 

1 minute ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

This is the unfortunate truth. It might be 2 years before someone is willing to pay what it takes for Robert. I'm pretty sure he's untradeable this offseason. Similar to Sale, you might be able to get an adequate return in winter 2024-25 with 3 years left. 

I agree. No one will meet the price now. The price 2 years closer to free agency? Sure, as the price would decrease from what it is now.

11 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Well, he is controlled for four (4) more seasons. 

That's nice. What's going to happen in those 4 years? I'm speaking both of this team (hopeless at least through 2026 IMO, so for 3 of 4 years) and Robert's health.

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Of course - if the return isn't worth it, then you hold onto him.

1 minute ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

You could definitely trade him, but you probably wouldn't be trading him at fair value - a 5+ win player with 4 years of control ought to return what, 4 top 100 prospects or something insane like that, but I seriously doubt anyone would actually give that up, especially given Robert's injury history and his approach to coaching or approach at the plate as question marks.

Maybe at the trade deadline, someone might get desperate and put together a package like that for him, if he's healthy and doing the damage he did last year a second season in a row.

1 minute ago, JoeC said:

That's nice. What's going to happen in those 4 years? I'm speaking both of this team (hopeless at least through 2026 IMO, so for 3 of 4 years) and Robert's health.

Idk, their plan for next couple years is probably the “catch lightning in a bottle” approach after filling holes. I guess with that (admittedly s%*#) plan, keeping Robert in CF and 2/3 spot is great.

3 minutes ago, JoeC said:

A lot can change in four years, especially in a division where no team is in a particularly great position looking forward.  You think Dbacks fans thought they'd be playing in the World series coming of 52 and 74 win seasons?

As others have said, the control the Sox have on Robert is past the point of diminishing returns.  You aren't getting full value back.  In the event someone puts together a crazy offer that makes sense, then you pull the trigger.  But just moving him to the highest bidder this offseason doesn't make a ton of sense. 

28 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Well, he is controlled for four (4) more seasons. 

Right, and one of the things I"ve come to believe is it is actually really hard to get the right value back for control on star players. I would bet that when the Padres trade Soto, we find that the return is not 2-3x what they paid in the first place, but isn't that what value that control should come with?

The case for trading Robert is market timing, but the cases against are just 4 years is a long time. 4 years ago was 2019, the white sox ascent hadn't even happened yet. But if he's still a great player in 2 years, you'll get a very similar haul, OR you'll say "wow this team is close let's add around him"

1 hour ago, WBWSF said:

Trading Luis  Robert Jr would be the greatest PR disaster the team has had since the White Flag trade.

Don’t be surprised if they trade him, don’t forget according to Getz there are no untouchables on this team. 
I have mixed feelings on Robert, he has all the talent in the world but there is something missing with him, like Moncada I’d like to see some emotion once in awhile from them, to me it seems like they just don’t care, scream at the umpire once in awhile, break a bat over your knee, kick the water cooler but these guys strikeout and walk back to the dugout like they’re out for a stroll in the park. I watch all the Rays games and the difference is like night and day between the 2 teams as far as emotion, caring and doing everything to win ballgames.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

A lot can change in four years, 

You aren't getting full value back. 

You aren't getting full value either by keeping him in years where the team is not competitive.  

What is closer to full value?  The best offer today....

or

The percentage of games played over the next 4 years where the Sox' expected World Series odds are above 2%?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The only place they should be moving Moncda is the hell out of town.  He's everything that's wrong wit this team.  His lack of production, his bad attitude, his lack of desire to win, his style of play.  Getz number one priority this off season has to be to get Moncada off this damn team.  By hook or by crook.

His above average defense is also out of character for this team. 

• Like 1

imo if someone blows the doors off with an offer for Robert you gotta strongly consider it. his bat is very streaky plus he's been hurt a few times already. I've been on record saying we should trade him and Cease but at least Getz isnt making stupid comments like Hahn. 

53 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Assuming it's actually reallocated to something positive that benefits the ball club and its future...not just JR's pocketbook and BoD.

2 offseasons ago we were guessing whether Reinsdorf would hold the payroll around $150 million or might go up to $160-$170 million. He went past $190, then almost did that again last year. Reinsdorf had a higher payroll in 2022 than the Astros. 

They were idiots about what they did with the money, but they did spend it.

• Like 1

My main point is that if the price is right, you trade anyone on this team. For this team, holding onto someone like Robert just because he's a stud is short-sighted and dumb. To me, it makes so much more baseball sense to trade him if you were able to get an appropriate prospect haul for him.

• Like 1

Just now, JoeC said:

My main point is that if the price is right, you trade anyone on this team. For this team, holding onto someone like Robert just because he's a stud is short-sighted and dumb. To me, it makes so much more baseball sense to trade him if you were able to get an appropriate prospect haul for him.

What is an appropriate prospect haul? Are you willing to take 2 top 100 prospects and a couple of filler pieces and call it a day? If I were the Dodgers, I would gamble that price, but I wouldn't pay more than that.

From the White Sox perspective, I'm willing to listen, but I'd hold Robert until he could command a higher price than what I expect the market to offer right now. 

48 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The only place they should be moving Moncda is the hell out of town.  He's everything that's wrong wit this team.  His lack of production, his bad attitude, his lack of desire to win, his style of play.  Getz number one priority this off season has to be to get Moncada off this damn team.  By hook or by crook.

I agree 100% but how do you trade him and his fat contract.

31 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

What is an appropriate prospect haul? Are you willing to take 2 top 100 prospects and a couple of filler pieces and call it a day? If I were the Dodgers, I would gamble that price, but I wouldn't pay more than that.

From the White Sox perspective, I'm willing to listen, but I'd hold Robert until he could command a higher price than what I expect the market to offer right now. 

To pull something out of my ass, I'd say a top-15 prospect, two other top-100 prospects, and a "flier" prospect.

No idea what's realistic at this point.