Benetti to Tigers

BBaum21

2 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

I’ll repeat the last part of my post you responded to:

And are we pretending that, should word get out that he’s being considered for the job, LGBTQIA+ organizations wouldn’t put pressure on the team to stop it? Because they absolutely would.

See you are predicting cancel culture and complaining about it.  I’m out right here, the guy got his just desserts and is living his life doing exactly what he did before albeit on a lower level and I have nothing else to add except he did this to himself.  If you want to worry about the ghost of cancel culture not allowing you to be your worst self then you got bigger problem imo

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Baseball is an entertainment business, at least in theory. I didn't get a response from you earlier, but how does hiring Thom help the White Sox organization? Wouldn't this be yet another White Sox move that would be universally condemned?

If Thom wants to work as an announcer, perhaps he needs to work for a lesser profile gig (minor leagues, some team or sport that wants him) to rebuild his reputation. It just shouldn't be here, especially with the current state this organization in the eyes of a dejected fanbase. Would say 90% + of fans feel that way across all religious, political or societal viewpoints.

To be fair, he is doing that at the moment.

But that can also just...be his job.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Baseball is an entertainment business, at least in theory. I didn't get a response from you earlier, but how does hiring Thom help the White Sox organization? Wouldn't this be yet another White Sox move that would be universally condemned?

If Thom wants to work as an announcer, perhaps he needs to work for a lesser profile gig (minor leagues, some team or sport that wants him) to rebuild his reputation. It just shouldn't be here, especially with the current state this organization in the eyes of a dejected fanbase. Would say 90% + of fans feel that way across all religious, political or societal viewpoints.

he's a good announcer, much better than several of the names mentioned. i think Monaco was the best choice, but since he's not hired yet and they are supposedly still bringing in candidates, I would think for one reason or another he's most likely out.

32 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

What outside pressure?  You think there are people that are campaigning to make sure he isn’t hired or is it more likely that the entire league saw one of the highest profile announcers go off script in the worst possible way, get rightfully fired, and say “I want no part of that”?

like come on man, the risk in pissing off a portion of your fanbase for hiring a bigot is not to be ignored and teams understand nowadays that they can’t just sweep that under the rug 

The "mistake" isn't a guy who is being held accountable for his actions by his bosses, and paying customers not wanting to be associated with that.  The mistake is people trying to eliminate the LGBTQ+ community.  I sure don't want people who think like that representing me or the brands I like to associate with.  Re-framing the argument to make this guy the victim, instead of the actual victims of that hate, is one of the most impressive slights of hand done to a large portion of the American people that I can think of.

If he wants me to think it was a one time mistake he has learned from, let's see him doing something for the community more than a PR written non-apology, apology.  Let's see some actions.  Lobby for trans-rights.  Fight for gay marriage, gay adoption.  Stop religious schools being able to discriminate.  Then I will listen.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

See you are predicting cancel culture and complaining about it.  I’m out right here, the guy got his just desserts and is living his life doing exactly what he did before albeit on a lower level and I have nothing else to add except he did this to himself.  If you want to worry about the ghost of cancel culture not allowing you to be your worst self then you got bigger problem imo

Predicting what would absolutely happen, yes lol.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I mean, typically you apologize because you feel bad about something you did, not to simply avoid punishment.

There has to be forgiveness. That’s just human nature. If you feel bad and apologize, and the response is only punishment, people will stop apologizing.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Quin said:

To be fair, he is doing that at the moment.

But that can also just...be his job.

Brenneman also lost his NFL gig when this went down. That may appeal to the White Sox. He'd be around for the meaningless September weekend games.

• Haha 2

"It says on your resume that the NFL doesn't want you doing their games."

"That is correct."

"Perfect, you're hired!"

The twist is that the above conversation is between Gordon Beckham and Brooks Boyer

4 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

Predicting what would absolutely happen, yes lol.

There has to be forgiveness. That’s just human nature. If you feel bad and apologize, and the response is only punishment, people will stop apologizing.

And there has been some forgiveness. He is able to get broadcasting gigs, including in the Cincinnati area. I have no problem with that, although if I were in the Cincinnati area I probably would chose not to subscribe to that service based on him being employed there.

This is fundamentally different from being entitled to a big league broadcasting job and a 7 figure salary.

8 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

I knew nothing about this whole situation before this thread. Never even saw the meme people are mentioning.

I don’t know if the bold statement is correct, but if it is and there’s no forgiveness or future opportunities after attempts to make amends, then there’s never any point in apologizing.

I really don’t think it’s about forgiveness. It’s just not really tenable to expect a fanbase to accept that their pbp guy is a clear homophobe. Sure, he deserves to be able to make a living, but at this point he’s just not a realistic candidate to be the public face of a sports team like that. At the minimum, practically every homosexual member of the fanbase will be constantly aware that this dude doesn’t respect their existence, and that his continued employment is a tacit endorsement by the team that it’s okay to hold those views. More realistically, that extends to any fan that feels sympathetic to the cause on any significant level. There’s just not a case to be made that you should hire that guy for that job. 

I think we talk too much about “deserving” jobs in situations like this, when it really has nothing to do with it. He’s not being “cancelled” for his “slip,” he’s just no longer a job fit because of what the “slip” showed everyone about him. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

SSHM: My comment wasn't based on helping or not helping the Sox directly. I was simply saying he's a highly qualified broadcaster that I liked listening to, his preparation and the way he called games. 

Given everything that has gone on in this dysfunctional, incompetent and inept organization I can't think of much else that would alienate what's left of the fan base. And frankly since when has JR ever given a damn about what the fan base or the media thinks?  

• Thanks 1