Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

11 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

How about this for a semi-quantity package (no two big boys)..

Kjerstad, Beavers, Hovath and Bradfield

@Sports Guy

You can keep the pitchers

He isn’t Mike Elias…but, I’d be surprised if you could get Kjerstad. If your looking for good  defense he’s probably not your guy.

3 Ofs and a 3B …interesting ask. How about Cowser, Norby, Hovath, and Beavers

?

Just now, SoCalChiSox said:

Why?

We value that all the time...why should we ignore it now?

That article is nearly a year old and the defensive concerns are no longer legit.  His hit tool is also probably closer to average now.  Westburg is a really good prospect, I just don’t see a massive ceiling with him unless he can in fact belt 25 HRs a year and not a ton 2B did that last year.

5 minutes ago, Rolle Tide said:

He isn’t Mike Elias…but, I’d be surprised if you could get Kjerstad. If your looking for good  defense he’s probably not your guy.

?

everyone here would do your proposal.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rolle Tide said:

?

We have ourselves a deal

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Rolle Tide said:

?

That’s awful too.

• Hawk 1
  • TLR 1
  • Paper Bag 4

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

That’s awful too.

And if Dylan Cease was a free agent Boras would be sitting at 200M+ probably and not budging, even if there wasn't a "bidding war" and notwithstanding his subpar 2023. The price is the price and it should hjurt a little bit.. thats what makes a good deal. 

Edited by Southwest Sider

13 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

If you're the GM, you're still stuck on Kjertstad and Ortiz with NO third piece, correct?

I’m flexible.  I’m hopeful for a deal headlined by Westburg..not because he’s a worse player but he is an area that we have more right now depth and right now is the important thing when evaluating a trade like this with our current situation.

Edited by Sports Guy

9 minutes ago, Southwest Sider said:

And if Dylan Cease was a free agent Boras would be sitting at 200M+ probably and not budging, even if there wasn't a "bidding war" and notwithstanding his subpar 2023. The price is the price and it should hjurt a little bit.. thats what makes a good deal. 

Any deal will hurt. No one has ever said it won’t hurt despite this boards seeming inability to read what Os fans are actually saying.

But there is a point where it’s too much and you look at someone else.  That deal that was suggested is definitely at that point.

Your best poster here and prospect evaluator is saying a deal like that is too much.  I know you guys like to cry about me saying it but it is what it is. 

Id be willing to bet that many of the posters on here will be disappointed by the deal that ends up happening, no matter who he is traded to.

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

When you look at what Tampa got for Glasnow, while also unloading Margot’s salary, a lot of these proposed packages are underwhelming. Just move on from the Orioles at this point.

We can take back Kopech if that helps. :)

• Haha 2

i'm actually going into this thing asking for less than the moon. Cease may be 2-year control and has a good past, but last year had iffy walks and the most recent thing you gave is what people remember.

i think Baltimore will give us the two guys who are well thought of and some extra pieces. we've also talked with Dodgers and Yankees which does not surprise me- Sox will do this deal with a well entrenched front office. Trading Cease for two Top 100s and then lets say the next two years he's worse than he was in 2023: thats the kind of thing a GM gets fired for. You'll trade him to a teflon FO if you are getting back a strong haul.

Lets be honest we would be saying these same things if we were buy-now. Right before we got Shields, Fangraphs wrote a piece about how he had gotten a little worse than he had been. Now, Samardzjia came here after a good year...true. We didnt have to give up any Top 100 pieces for him (communal groan...)

*and for purposes of this exercise i do consider westburg like a top 100

Edited by Fielder Jones

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t really care about the closer role. I care more about high leverage relievers. But yes, that would be my focus with him.

A guy who can’t throw strikes, can’t hold runners and shows no consistency in his stuff….he’s all yours 

11 minutes ago, fathom said:

A guy who can’t throw strikes, can’t hold runners and shows no consistency in his stuff….he’s all yours 

I believe it was 2021 where he was exclusively a reliever and his stats were very good.

Plus, our organization knows how to develop guys..yours doesn’t. I feel good about it.

Bautista was an absolute nobody a few years ago. He had nothing going for him other than throwing hard. cano was an after thought and someone most of us thought shouldn’t be on the 40 man.

They have a tendency of doing well with arms like this.

Edited by Sports Guy

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I believe it was 2021 where he was exclusively a reliever and his stats were very good.

Plus, our organization knows how to develop guys..yours doesn’t. I feel good about it.

Bautista was an absolutely nobody a few years ago. He had nothing going for him other than throwing hard. cano was an after thought and someone most of us thought shouldn’t be on the 40 man.

They have a tendency of doing well with arms like this.

Yeah, if I were any team, I'd be calling the Sox for Kopech for sure.

2 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Yeah, if I were any team, I'd be calling the Sox for Kopech for sure.

He’s been a focus of mine since the beginning the offseason. I can’t imagine he’s much more than a salary dump for the WS right now but I may be off on that. Not sure how the org feels about him. 

Just now, Sports Guy said:

He’s been a focus of mine since the beginning the offseason. I can’t imagine he’s much more than a salary dump for the WS right now but I may be off on that. Not sure how the org feels about him. 

He’s only making like $3 million, he’s not a salary dump. Or at least I’d keep him and hope he turns it around instead of just dumping him for nothing.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Definitely not a salary dump. New pitching Senior Advisor has every intention of unlocking him as a starter this season. Might be a lost cause, but a better option than salary dumping 3mil in a lost season.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t really care about the closer role. I care more about high leverage relievers. But yes, that would be my focus with him.

Semantics. 

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic