White Sox sign Martin Maldonado 1 year/4 million, vesting option for 2025

Just now, SoCalChiSox said:

Why would we be in on the reliever market?

Even if Santos is out, you've got Crochet, Leasure, and there's several AAA/AAAA scrubs that can fill out the pen. I'm not sure why we are spending money on that. 

I assume they would be of the cheap one year flier quality to hope they have a hot start and deal at the deadline.  And if there’s one thing the Sox love to waste money on anyways, it’s relievers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Why would we be in on the reliever market?

Even if Santos is out, you've got Crochet, Leasure, and there's several AAA/AAAA scrubs that can fill out the pen. I'm not sure why we are spending money on that. 

In a lost season, grabbing a few flippable relievers on 1 year deals seems like a pretty sound idea to me. Hopefully Getz isn't dumb enough to lock up volatile arms to multiple years like his predecessor.

Just now, Tnetennba said:

In a lost season, grabbing a few flippable relievers on 1 year deals seems like a pretty sound idea to me. Hopefully Getz isn't dumb enough to lock up volatile arms to multiple years like his predecessor.

Yep, especially if Santos isn’t 100 pct.  God knows Crochet cannot be counted on.  Fujinami is someone with great stuff that maybe they can rebuild and flip.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, chw42 said:

What the f***? Why?

They must have had a SNEAKING suspicion that Lee wasn't going to be able to hit over .150 again and that all the defensive gaps (other than throwing arm strength/release) were going to be a massive detriment to the young pitching.

THAT and the fact that going into the season with a relatively older catcher in Stassi coming off an a "missing" season probably wasn't the greatest strategy...especially if you look at average number of games caught.

White Sox better just move back their outfield fences to the deepest Old Comiskey distances ever recorded...

• Kyyle23 changed the title to White Sox sign Martin Maldonado 1 year/4 million, vesting option for 2025