10 for your personal Hall of Shame

wegner

8 minutes ago, pmb0928 said:

I will just add 1 player who should be on there. Yonder Alonso. 

Signed for 2 years and 9 million dollars so we could entice his brother in law to the team. He had positive WAR all prior years and had over 20 HRs in his last 3 full seasons. He proceeded to hit .178, have a -1.5 WAR in only 67 games with a whopping 7 HRs. He was out of baseball the next year. 

Can we throw in Jon, running in quick sand, Jay?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

No particular order (age 32):

1. Nick Swisher

2. Jeff Samardzija

3. Adam LaRoche

4. James Shields

5. David Wells

6. Yonder Alonso

7. Manny Ramirez (nothing he did particularly here, just don't like Manny)

8. Billy Koch

9. Jeff Keppinger

10. Mark Teahen

Edit: we could probably do an honorable mentions section which would include Jon Jay, Javier Vazquez, Todd Ritchie, Brian Anderson, Jamie Navarro, Jim Parque.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, wegner said:

Can we throw in Jon, running in quick sand, Jay?

And those 2 a-holes couldn't even be bothered to publicly talk up the White Sox. Their statements encouraged Machado to pick San Diego. 

I think we're going to need many more than 10 slots for this exercise. 

Wil Cordero needs a spot along side Mike Clevenger. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wegner said:

Hat tip to @dohnutfor the idea to help us forget this group of current losers by remembering past losers.

List 10 White Sox players who you personally disliked the most. I will start with the 10 guys who popped quickly into my head and I am sure that I have missed some good ones so I look forward to other Soxtalker's Lists.

Mine, in no particular order:

Brett Lawrie

Jeff Samardzija

Joey Cora

Nick Swisher

Royce Clayton

Rob Dibble

Kevin Youkilis

Billy Koch

David Wells

Jamie Navarro

Sorry to make it 11 but I remembered who I hated most recently and didn't want to remove any of the deserving above....AJ Pollock

Why Youkilis? 

2 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

And those 2 a-holes couldn't even be bothered to publicly talk up the White Sox. Their statements encouraged Machado to pick San Diego. 

I think we're going to need many more than 10 slots for this exercise. 

Wil Cordero needs a spot along side Mike Clevenger. 

You can do an honorable mentions section like @Bob Sacamano.....and I see Bob's additional list keeps growing, haha.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Pants Rowland said:

No one has mentioned Paniagua yet? Steve Dahl should get honorable mention as well. 

I was in the upper deck at that Paniagua game....I treat him as more of an urban legend. I almost bought his game worn jersey at Soxfest just to see the reaction when I wore it to a game, but it was more than $5.

• Haha 1

Navarro - if you were a Sox fan at that time he is number 1 by a mile.  I blame the white flag on him, his contract and JR never spending again

George Bell - I blame him for 93 

Jerry Dybzynski  - I don't care if I spelled wrong I blame him for 83

Jeff S. 

Swisher 

Clayton

Wells

Manny Ramitez 

Jeff Keppinger 

Jose Canseco

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

It’s sad that the winter meetings are going on and this is probably the most active thread.

Oops....I hope I didn't distract Getzy from his job of adding guys to add to this list.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, wegner said:

I was in the upper deck at that Paniagua game....I treat him as more of an urban legend. I almost bought his game worn jersey at Soxfest just to see the reaction when I wore it to a game, but it was more than $5.

I changed the colored tags on a game worn Jason Bere for $15 at Soxfest.  I spent the $150 savings on beer at the Fest so White Sox Charities got their money. 

I burnt a part of it using it as pot holder during a tailgate.  White Sox Charities karma at its best.  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, wegner said:

I believe his nickname was The Road Runner? I seem to remember Harry or Jimmy saying meep meep when he ran down the 1B line. Anyway, I saw in his obituary from 2020 that he was a 5 tool OF!!

The Road Runner was Ralph Garr if I remember correctly.  His outfield defense would fit in really well with the guys of today though I don't think he was a bad dude deserving of this top ten.

2 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

I had great sits behnd the vistitors dugout.  What a douche.

That was the oddest feeling leaving the stadium that night. Even though the Sox won the game, the mood among the fans was deflating.

2 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Clayton

I'm surprised at the repeated inclusion of Royce Clayton. Maybe just for unrealized dreaming. He moved Ozzie Smith to 2B and was reviled for that, right? 

In 2001, I was in Minneapolis for work meetings. It was the week of the season that was moved from the 9/11 week to the end of the season. I wound up in the same hotel as the White Sox, so I kept running into them all day. Royce and Maggs were sitting in the bar area. I went up to Magglio Ordoñez, called him Paul Konerko, and said I was his biggest fan. Royce Clayton busted up at that. Every time I'd run into Clayton on the elevator or the lobby, he was always cordial. I was wearing a Sox jacket, so maybe they thought I worked in marketing, or something. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Just a thought: can coaches, and even owners, make this list? If not, how about honorable mentions?

As the OP I'd like to quote Terence Mann......There are rules here? No, there are no rules here.

3 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

The Road Runner was Ralph Garr if I remember correctly.  His outfield defense would fit in really well with the guys of today though I don't think he was a bad dude deserving of this top ten.

Yes, Ralph Garr. Thank you. My apologies for mis-nicknaming Mr Washington.

1 minute ago, WestEddy said:

I'm surprised at the repeated inclusion of Royce Clayton. Maybe just for unrealized dreaming. He moved Ozzie Smith to 2B and was reviled for that, right? 

In 2001, I was in Minneapolis for work meetings. It was the week of the season that was moved from the 9/11 week to the end of the season. I wound up in the same hotel as the White Sox, so I kept running into them all day. Royce and Maggs were sitting in the bar area. I went up to Magglio Ordoñez, called him Paul Konerko, and said I was his biggest fan. Royce Clayton busted up at that. Every time I'd run into Clayton on the elevator or the lobby, he was always cordial. I was wearing a Sox jacket, so maybe they thought I worked in marketing, or something. 

I view certain guys as reason why the team failed.  All I recall about him and Harold batting under .100 in June as the team floundered.

6 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

I changed the colored tags on a game worn Jason Bere for $15 at Soxfest.  I spent the $150 savings on beer at the Fest so White Sox Charities got their money. 

I burnt a part of it using it as pot holder during a tailgate.  White Sox Charities karma at its best.  

You have been reported to Christine O'Reilly.