Giolito to the Red Sox, 2 years $38.5 million, Y1 opt out

Balta1701

13 hours ago, bobbydanks said:

can anyone explain to me how he got the nickname Gio? it really made no sense when it happened and still doesn't. it's like those dudes that word out acronyms that are longer to say than the actual words. just a pet peeve as someone who isn't always online and wondering why the f*** people are still talking about Gio Gonzalez  because somehow Giolito is too long to say? ~weird old man rant 

I tried to make "Frosty" a thing but nobody backed me up on it.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

WTF?

18 hours ago, bobbydanks said:

can anyone explain to me how he got the nickname Gio? 

No. Sorry Bob, I don't believe I can. I'm still trying to figure out how we got ChiSox. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 3/8/2024 at 9:14 AM, Quin said:

but how did we decide on ReyLo?

Not to toot my own horn, but I'm pretty sure I came up with that one. I remember the thread and it stuck. Only feather in my cap that I have and I'm proud of it haha.

• Fire 1

30 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

What a great example of how these contracts end up working out for the player.  If it’s actually TJ surgery, Giolito will be getting $38.5 million to barely pitch for the Red Sox.

Sometimes it doesn't work out. So the alternative is do nothing? Never take the risk?

Even the best minor league system and player development staff has holes, to fill them you have to go outside the organization via free agency or trades.

Trades cost you players which can lead to opening up other holes. Free agency only costs money and ML teams are rolling in it. The Red Sox aren't going to go broke over this payout I assure you. 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Sometimes it doesn't work out. So the alternative is do nothing? Never take the risk?

Even the best minor league system and player development staff has holes, to fill them you have to go outside the organization via free agency or trades.

Trades cost you players which can lead to opening up other holes. Free agency only costs money and ML teams are rolling in it. The Red Sox aren't going to go broke over this payout I assure you. 

Plus, it's more than likely insured, so they would be receiving 40-60% back anyway...just not sure how expensive coverage for pitchers with previous TJ surgeries would be these days.

• Like 1

Good news on the Giolito front. A brace procedure would result in a chance to pitch the entire 2025 season. 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/03/lucas-giolito-to-undergo-elbow-surgery.html

The Red Sox announced this morning that Giolito underwent an internal brace procedure to repair the UCL in his right elbow. That comes with a shorter recovery timetable than a full Tommy John surgery and will give the right-hander a chance to pitch the entire 2025 season if things go smoothly in his rehab. He’ll likely still miss the entire 2024 campaign, however.