Haber out / Wong in as Assistant GM

Per Bob Nightengale:

The White Sox are shuffling their front-office staff and are bringing in Jin Wong from the Kansas City Royals to be an assistant GM. White Sox assistant GM Jeremy Haber is expected to depart on his own before spring training, with Jin fulfilling part of his duties.

Jin Wong is currently the VP - Baseball Admin / Assistant GM.

Jin Wong is in his 24th season in the Royals organization and second as the Vice President of Baseball Administration/Assistant GM. In this role, he assists with the organization’s day-to-day operations, including player acquisition, contract negotiations, roster and payroll management, salary arbitration, budgetary procedure, and compliance with MLB rules and the CBA. He also oversees the club’s video coordination for the Major League team.

As the title & bio suggest, it sounds like Wong is being brought for a pure admin role.  It appears that Haber’s reach into other areas (amateur scouting, analytics, etc.) will be parsed from this role and returned to the core owners of those functions.  My guess is Haber wasn’t cool with the proposed decrease in responsibilities and that is why he is “expected to depart on his own”.  While Wong is yet another Royal, he is obviously vastly experienced in this capacity and it’s far less egregious than signing more Grifol buddies.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Wong is a paper pusher.  He'll have zero say in baseball ops.  Chill

LOL at Haber leaving on his own.  

Would they not have kept Haber as a paper pusher?  Isn’t the problem that you’ve hinted at for months that Jeremy was too involved in actual baseball operations?  Obviously you would know better than us, but the way this is being presented was he wasn’t straight up fired even if the intention was to push him out of the org by greatly reducing his responsibilities.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

In all honesty, this is a very exciting move.  Haber appeared to have too much influence in too many departments, which is never a good thing when you are super lean in many of those areas.  Hopefully beyond just allowing the amateur scouting group to do their thing with minimal interference, we also see certain functions (like analytics) beefed up substantially.

Also, as a side note, Wong actually departed the Royals org in October “on his own accord”, so it’s possible this has been in the works for some time.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

In all honesty, this is a very exciting move.  Haber appeared to have too much influence in too many departments, which is never a good thing when you are super lean in many of those areas.  Hopefully beyond just allowing the amateur scouting group to do their thing with minimal interference, we also see certain functions (like analytics) beefed up substantially.

Also, as a side note, Wong actually departed the Royals org in October “on his own accord”, so it’s possible this has been in the works for some time.

Haber being out is fantastic news. I know nothing of Wong, I’m just flabbergasted that they can’t stop hiring former Royals. They’ve imported so much of their org garbage that it’s hard to view potentially good hires without the Royals taint. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Haber being out is fantastic news. I know nothing of Wong, I’m just flabbergasted that they can’t stop hiring former Royals. They’ve imported so much of their org garbage that it’s hard to view potentially good hires without the Royals taint. 

The Royals have been above .500 three times the past twenty seasons. They were also .exactly 500 once. So like JR suggested in his press conference, their players and employees understand how special going 81-81 is. They are probably working to get a KC broadcaster out of their contract now to take over for Benetti.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I can’t categorize any further influences from the Kansas City Royals as a “very exciting move”. 

• Like 8
  • Fire 1

What Harold said makes sense. Wong can assist with administrative duties, while Barfield assists in baseball ops. If this is how they’re dividing the “Assistant GM” title, I’m fine with it. 

Haber being gone is tremendous. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I can’t categorize any further influences from the Kansas City Royals as a “very exciting move”. 

To Harold’s point, this is now a pure administrative role.  While it’s still a little annoying they keep hiring Royals guys, the guy has a lot of experience and I’m not sure this is the one that bothers me (Gene Watson is more worrisome IMO).  Regardless, this is more about Haber getting removed from the org that is exciting.

• Like 2

Rick Hahn administrative tree still with jobs in baseball not exactly looking like the baseball version of the Shanahans…

Hostetler the last one standing?  

Nick seemingly has the Dayton Moore seal of approval going for him due to their original Braves’ connections…and cross connections with Getz as well.

At any rate,  Josh Barfield will be the new GM in 2-3 years anyway.  Then, all the ex Royals can be purged.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Fire 1

8 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking What the or who the f*** is the SD ? Scouting Director ? If so who would that be ?

I can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic or not, but it’s Shirley. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Glad Haber is gone. 

Give us your most recent info on Haber and why you're glad he's gone. Obviously Harold is glad he's gone but doesn't usually share his Intel but you do. I seem to recall your experiences with him or your sources experiences with him weren't good.

Being Hahn's right hand man seems like it was only a matter of time before he'd be replaced by the new regime. I don't particular care that a paper pusher with a 24 year career with the Royals who Getz may admire for his hard work, dedication and skills was hired to continue doing that for the Sox. Some types you don't need an extensive search.