Cubs get Michael Busch, Yency Almonte

Bob Sacamano

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

This seems like a perfect move to add a potential young asset. Why did Dodgers do this? They just looking to shed payroll or just not a roster fit for Busch so they wanted something prospect wise.  

Needed to clear spots on 40 man. Ferris will be their top pitching prospect by end of 2024.

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

This seems like a perfect move to add a potential young asset. Why did Dodgers do this? They just looking to shed payroll or just not a roster fit for Busch so they wanted something prospect wise.  

They have nowhere for Busch to play and he’s eroding value in AAA.  This is a pretty smart trade all things considered.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

My buddy who has a legit connect to the Cubs front office told me that they view Ferris as their second best pitching prospect after Horton.  So in their view, it’s a big price to pay.

Maybe the WS like Ferris and the Dodgers will flip him for Cease?

13 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

If it is indeed Ferris and Hope... What a weird fucking trade for the Dodgers.  That would be like Mena/Pallette/Taylor/Keener + some lower for us right?

The Dodgers really needed to clear 40-man space and have nowhere for Michael Busch to play. I'm not even sure the White Sox could make this trade. They don't have a Jackson Ferris right now. 

4 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

What would a comparable offer from us look like?

For perspective, Ferris got a $3M signing bonus in the same draft that Pallette got $1.5M.  We simply don’t have a comparable prospect with lots of time before needing protection outside of Schultz.  And to fathom’s point, Schultz is a far better prospect.

Just now, fathom said:

Not a bad idea, but Busch is someone that would have made sense for the Sox also

Really?  I don’t know why.

I have reached a conclusion that the Os don’t make sense for Cease from what I feel should be the perspective of the WS.

What I mean by that is I do not think your ownership will look to compete in 2 years. I think they should but I think they will milk the profits and show the Astros and Os 4 year rebuild as a template to success.

The Os don’t have a lot of young prospects outside of their top 3 and they aren’t being dealt for Cease or probably anyone else.

So, you are then looking at 23-25 y/o players and while they are really good (or at least the potential to be good), they are ready right now
and they will be using their service time and cheap years in years where you won’t be any good.

For me, I think the WS should be looking at getting lower level guys with bigger upsides who coincide with the time table of you being good.

It certainly brings more risk but having a 28 y/o COF with iffy defensive skills around the time you plan on contending, who is in his first year of arb is only so helpful.

Busch is the same as those guys. Ferris is the type of guy I’m talking about.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I have reached a conclusion that the Os don’t make sense for Cease from what I feel should be the perspective of the WS.

What I mean by that is I do not think your ownership will look to compete in 2 years. I think they should but I think they will milk the profits and show the Astros and Os 4 year rebuild as a template to success.

The Os don’t have a lot of young prospects outside of their top 3 and they aren’t being dealt for Cease or probably anyone else.

So, you are then looking at 23-25 y/o players and while they are really good (or at least the potential to be good), they are ready right now
and they will be using their service time and cheap years in years where you won’t be any good.

For me, I think the WS should be looking at getting lower level guys with bigger upsides who coincide with the time table of you being good.

It certainly brings more risk but having a 28 y/o COF with iffy defensive skills around the time you plan on contending, who is in his first year of arb is only so helpful.

There is zero chance our owner is supporting a four year rebuild.  The goal will to be competitive in a s%*# AL Central by 2026 and he will want two pieces in a Cease trade that can help by then.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They just tried this and failed horribly. 

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

There is zero chance our owner is supporting a four year rebuild.  The goal will to be competitive in a s%*# AL Central by 2026 and he will want two pieces in a Cease trade that can help by then.

Have they announced that? If so, that’s great and we align well with you guys.

It’s just hard for me to believe. And don’t get me wrong, they absolutely should look to contend in 2026. I’m 100% with you.   Just skeptical because of your ownership.

Edited by Sports Guy

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s just hard for me to believe. And don’t get me wrong, they absolutely should look to contend in 2026. I’m 100% with you.   Just skeptical because of your ownership.

Jerry's old and impatient and the ALC is shitty. They don't have to announce this.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s just hard for me to believe. I don’t get me wrong, they absolutely should look to contend in 2026. I’m 100% with you. 

They refuse to use the word rebuild and at Getz’s press opener Jerry pointed to a desire to win & win quickly being the reason for doing no due diligence and hiring Getz in the first place.  Not saying this plan will work, but no doubt they will start adding some B & C tier free agents next year and hope they get lucky.

12 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Jerry's old and impatient and the ALC is shitty. They don't have to announce this.

They don’t but it also doesn’t take much to see his cheapness, the profits that were made and the idea that “it worked”

Im of the opinion that the whole rebuild thing taking that long and that’s why the Os are winning is a complete fallacy. Fans ate it up because it worked but you didn’t need to do it that long.

14 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

They refuse to use the word rebuild and at Getz’s press opener Jerry pointed to a desire to win & win quickly being the reason for doing no due diligence and hiring Getz in the first place.  Not saying this plan will work, but no doubt they will start adding some B & C tier free agents next year and hope they get lucky.

Ok, fair enough.  If that’s truly the goal, so be it. It should be the goal for sure. Thanks for the update.

Edited by Sports Guy

46 minutes ago, fathom said:

Don’t underestimate how much the Sox overestimate Vaughn

When trading Cease rumors with Dodgers was a hot topic and Busch was mentioned often, I never thought he  would be the primary piece because of his fielding while Eloy and Vaughn were still there.

Dodgers did well to rid themselves of him before he lost too much value. He had nowhere to go with them but the bat could play for teams not clogged at 1st and DH or willing to give him a legit shot.

I guess we'll find out just how savage the bat really is with the Cubs.