Sox select John Schriffen to be TV PbP announcer

fathom

13 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

That’s a lot of expectation to put on him.

Maybe Stone simply feels he can be more relaxed with someone less deferential and more in tune with the game…rather than a performer and more the feeling Benetti was recently attempting to be just as much of an attraction as the game itself, compensating for the poor product on the field.

Meaning he was getting a bit too big for his britches.

Stone is saying Schiffren is more like him…not an outsider and non athlete who will never quite be fully accepted and respected by the players, coaches, front office and ownership…as well as the likes of blue-blood Boyer.

Stone tweeted like for Jason and love this new guy before either broadcast as their full time announcer. How was Jason getting too big for his britches, or in Boyer’s words “respect for Jason or respect for a normal person”, before he started the full time gig as Hawk’s former PT fill in?

If Steve had an issue with Jason, it wouldn’t be the first or second time he didn’t like a co-worker. He also didn’t leave the Cubs in good terms, and had an open feud with his Score co-host, though Murphy didn’t get along with anyone there beyond Mike Nort, plus the well documented disdain he held toward Hawk Harrelson.

All this to accommodate the 120 or so games Stone deems worthy to show up for each year. Hunky Dory for Boyer for Stone to skip a fourth of every season vs. constantly bitching at Jason for actually performing quality work nationally, which helped what little standing and credibility the White Sox hold in the sports industry.

• Love 1
  • Fire 2

I was thinking of some of the old time Sox announcers, Bob Elson, The Commander, Harry Carry, and of course Hawk Harrelson.

Then I thought about a Chicago Bear announcer most probably never heard of, Irv Kupcient, he was Jack Brickhouse's sidekick. If you get a chance to look up his history, it is very interesting.  My dad and brothers would mimic Irv and I always would crack up. As a kid I never knew how big a deal Kupcient was, but his column was huge in the entertainment industry.

Irv played college football and then when on to referee in the NFL. He went on to work for the Sun Times and wrote a celebrity and political gossip column. Long before internet keyboard warriors and TikTok /YouTube influencers Irv was the guy. Every movie star and music celebrity would have a sit down with Irv at a night club / restaurant/ or local studio when they came into Chicago for a premiere. He really was a big deal back in the day because people got all their information from newspapers. On a sad note, his daughter moved to Los Angeles to pursue an acting career in tv/movies and was murdered. 

9 hours ago, pcq said:

My biggest issue by far is sincerity. Be a real person like Stone is. We don't need Guy Smiley. 

I 100% believe that is who Jason is. It is a geeky, dorky nerd who realizes how lucky he is in life and enjoys every freaking second of it.

Steve Stone is authentic all right. He's an authentic jerk. He's shown open professional contempt for each long term partner I have ever heard him with. He did it to Harry. He did it to Hawk and he did it to Jason.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 1/25/2024 at 11:50 AM, Lip Man 1 said:

Harry: I've been broadcasting Idaho State athletes (Big Sky Conference) on radio and on ESPN+ since 1995. Have done football, men's and women's basketball (have three championship rings from WBB to show for it!), volleyball and softball.

Have done over 460 games alone just for WBB. 

Started in the sports media in 1978, worked 14 years in TV sports in Lexington, Kentucky, Monroe, Louisiana and here in S.E. Idaho. 

Guess you can say I've been around awhile. 

I just had a wicked Deja Vu moment as I opened up an Alumni email to see a guy was elected to the Idaho Sports Hall of Fame and I'll be damned it's you.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

I just had a wicked Deja Vu moment as I opened up an Alumni email to see a guy was elected to the Idaho Sports Hall of Fame and I'll be damned it's you.  

Happened Saturday, just a very nice time for my wife and I.

Received a nice medallion and a crystal trophy....then did back to back broadcasts for Idaho State men and women wins over Weber State...then when I got home wrote a game wrap story on the men's win for the Idaho State Journal.

Long day.

When were you at Idaho State? Moved here in January 1993 from Louisiana to work as sports director at KPVI-TV.

• Like 3

Just now, Lip Man 1 said:

Received a nice medallion and a crystal trophy....then did back to back broadcasts for Idaho State men and women wins over Weber State...then when I got home wrote a game wrap story on the men's win for the Idaho State Journal.

Long day.

When were you at Idaho State? Moved here in January 1993 from Louisiana to work as sports director at KPVI-TV.

Right on Lip! Congrats!

4 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Long day.

Same high school.