Orioles Acquire Corbin Burnes for Ortiz/Hall/34th Pick

DirtySox

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Would feel better about this happening if Snell signs somewhere and Montgomery goes back to Texas.  But then again, who is going to sign Snell?  Dude is on some bath salts with his current expectations.

According to USA TODAY’s Bob Nightengale in a story published Jan. 27, “Blake Snell’s lone offer was a six-year, $150 million deal from the New York Yankees after Snell requested $270 million over nine years.”

At this point in the offseason, I will put a bet saying at least one of them has to take a short term deal with a Y1 Opt out.

4 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Would feel better about this happening if Snell signs somewhere and Montgomery goes back to Texas.  But then again, who is going to sign Snell?  Dude is on some bath salts with his current expectations.

According to USA TODAY’s Bob Nightengale in a story published Jan. 27, “Blake Snell’s lone offer was a six-year, $150 million deal from the New York Yankees after Snell requested $270 million over nine years.”

He’s trying to see how dumb teams can be…but yea, he’s dreaming.  I had wanted the Os to acquire him for the last few years. I’m a big fan of his but even with that, he doesn’t throw a ton of innings in most years and has a big walk number. His stuff is so good that he gets by with it but I wouldn’t even give him what NY has already offered.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

We actually did have this exact discussion in November, btw.

The Brewers were 92-70 last year.  This was still a questionable decision to pretty much tank this season before it even starts, when they could’ve reassessed at the deadline.  I understand they aren’t a high payroll team and can’t let guys go for nothing but I can’t imagine Brewers fans are very happy.  I don’t think even JR would intentionally tank a season after winning the division the prior year.

24 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

And you guys are now going to fleece the hell out of the Yankees for Cease if they don’t get Snell or Montgomery.

Yankees are only $100 million apart, $240 million vs. $140 million.

That was the end of that discussion with Boras.

9 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

A lot are predicting Angels...

2 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

The Brewers were 92-70 last year.  This was still a questionable decision to pretty much tank this season before it even starts, when they could’ve reassessed at the deadline.  I understand they aren’t a high payroll team and can’t let guys go for nothing but I can’t imagine Brewers fans are very happy.  I don’t think even JR would intentionally tank a season after winning the division the prior year.

The same team traded Hader when they were in first place. They don’t have the same rep as the Rays but they are nearly as aggressive.

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The same team traded Hader when they were in first place. They don’t have the same rep as the Rays but they are nearly as aggressive.

Not too comparable of a scenario when you have a guy like Devin Williams ready to replace Hader at closer.  Who do they have to replace Burnes in their rotation?  DL Hall now?

Edited by WhiteSox2023

Man, this is brutal. Absolutely undermines a ton of Getz' leverage now and may force him to take a giant risk on Cease by holding onto him until the deadline.

This is a big kick to nuts not just because it makes one of our suitors (still) far less desperate, but with such a mediocre return it also potentially lowers the price on Cease. That's tough. What a fucking blow.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Or maybe these guys are better and have higher ceilings than you guys have wanted to admit?

Sure, we could all be wrong but no one here would’ve been happy with this same return for Cease.  Hall may never be a starter with his poor walk rate and Ortiz may just be a glove first, slappy bat shortstop.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

Not too comparable of a scenario when you have a guy like Devin Williams ready to replace Hader at closer.  Who do they have to replace Burnes in their rotation?

The loss of Burnes puts a big dent in the Brewers’ 2024 pitching – and, thus, their overall hopes. Freddy Peralta will now slot in as the expected opening day starter. Wade Miley and Colin Rea are right behind Peralta in the rotation while Joe Ross, Robert Gasser, Aaron Ashby and potentially Hall will fight for the backend spots. 

Their payroll is now under $100M, whereas they get significant revenue sharing plus an additional $103M each season for MLB.com and National TV contracts. The Orioles are also under $100M even after this trade.

Tampa Bay, Miami, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh and Oakland make up the rest of the eight teams under the annual national revenue share threshold, before tens of millions in additional team revenue sharing.

Eighteen free agents remain unsigned with a 2024 Projected 1.0 - 3.3 fWAR per Fangraphs:

• Infielders (5): M. Chapman  (2.6); A. Rosario (2.3); . Anderson (1.6); G. Urshela (1.1); J. Segura (1.0)
  • Outfielders / DHs (4): C. Bellinger (2.4); J. Soler (1.9); T. Pham (1.0); M. A. Taylor (1.0)
  • Starters (9): B. Snell (3.3); J. Montgomery (3.2); H. J. Ryu (1.8); C. Kershaw (1.8); M. Clevinger (1.3); M. Lorenzen (1.2); Z. Greinke (1.1); D. German (1.1); J. Junis (1.1).

Still hoping the Sox might be able to get Jakob Junis formerly of the Giants and of course Royals.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Seems like a high chance that Woodruff already did.

It’s sad that they have to play the Rays game too.  Even sadder how bad a much larger Sox payroll has been managed over the years in comparison.

Edited by WhiteSox2023