Bobby Witt Jr signs 11Y/$288M extension with KC

Sleepy Harold

8 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

It is probably an overpay, but for a club like the Royals it's worth it. He'll be the face of the franchise for the next decade, their regular All Star, and the one guy that they can market. 

I don’t know, I think a lot of these young extension deals are pretty fair.  You’re getting his prime years, and he’s probably at least a 4-5 war guy going forward, with some additional upside since he’s still so young.  That’s not a bad deal at all unless he just flops along the way.  

Edited by bighurt574
  • Like 1

What is even worse is, the Sox and A’s haven’t done a $100 million contract, but look at this list:

Team’s that haven’t given a $150 million

-White Sox

-A’s

-Guardians ($124 million)

-Cardinals ($130 million)

-Pirates ($106 million)

This is even worse.

Team’s that have not given out a $200 million:

-White Sox

-A’s

-Guardians ($124 million)

-Cardinals ($130 million)

-Pirates ($106 million)

-Blue Jays ($150 million)

-Orioles ($161 million)

-Ray’s ($182 million)

-Astros ($151 million)

-Brewers ($188 million)

-Cubs ($184 million)

The competitive bar has by far moved past $100 million contracts.

The competitive bar is now $200 million contracts.  

And the Sox record contract is 37.5% of the competitive bar.

• Fire 1

6 hours ago, MysterySource5000 said:

The competitive bar has by far moved past $100 million contracts.

The competitive bar is now $200 million contracts.  

And the Sox record contract is 37.5% of the competitive bar.

Consistent with the soon to be 1/44 (2.27%) probability of a White Sox winning a World Series under Jerry at the end of this season.

The Sox would have had over 50% better odds winning a second World Series if the World Series was determined via lottery ball selection instead of on field performance.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Texsox said:

The Astros stand out on the not $200 mil list. 

@southsider2k5 makes a great point. Three years ago we would have loved to see a deal paying our Silver Slugging, All Star shortstop about $15 mil for the next few seasons. 

The Astros just signed Altuve to a 5-year, $125 million dollar extension.  Hot off the Twitter feed.

Is Witt that good? Or another Hosmer/Moustakas type? Pretty good but nothing to do handstands over?

You got to admit I am a loyal Sox fan. I could flip to the Royals since they've improved their pitching and have Witt locked up forever but I do not flip. I am a Sox fan (that was hard to type).

Edited by greg775

• 2 weeks later...

Before the end of last season, the Marlins and Royals briefly discussed a trade concept that would have sent rookie pitcher Eury Pérez to the Royals for Bobby Witt Jr.....No deal was ever close or even proposed but the idea was at least discussed at some point before the end of the 2023 season. 

According to a source, new Marlins management views Pérez as untouchable.

Pérez had a 3.15 ERA with 108 strikeouts in 91 1/3 innings over 19 starts in his first big league season at age 20 last year. Before the season, he was ranked as the #7 prospect in the game by Baseball America. 

The Royals have been reported to have engaged with the Marlins on trade talks several times in the last few months. Last summer, they reportedly discussed sending Salvador Perez to Miami, when the Marlins were run by GM Kim Ng. This off-season, after replacing Ng with Peter Bendix, the Marlins reportedly offered pitcher Jesús Luzardo to the Royals for Vinnie Pasquantino.

https://www.royalsreview.com/2024/2/15/24074275/royals-discussed-bobby-witt-jr-trade-to-miami-last-summer-according-to-one-report

Edited by caulfield12