Kopech to the Bullpen

hogan873

I don't understand this decision.  You can always move him to the pen later.  This is a move you probably are not coming back from, and Kopech has way more value as a SP both to the Sox, and to other teams. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

I don't understand this decision.  You can always move him to the pen later.  This is a move you probably are not coming back from, and Kopech has way more value as a SP both to the Sox, and to other teams. 

Yeah, bullpen was always there as an option. They have zero starting pitchers. It's crazy. This is the worst rotation in baseball the past decade.

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

He has sucked for years as a starter, and has sucked again this spring.  I am sure this wasn't a planned thing, but a reaction to Kopech not being able to make any progress, and in fact regressing pretty decently.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I really don’t get anything that’s going on right now.  The Getz regime is going about as poorly as one would expect.  Whole lots of moves have been made, but very little upside acquired.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

All jokes aside, if you're gonna sign a dick head at least sign one who could be great. 

Exactly.  Bauer was not found guilty of anything, same as Clevinger.  Bauer would also be even cheaper.  He said he would take a minor league invite.

We may go to hell, but the rotation could be decent.  LOL!

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Haha 2

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

He has sucked for years as a starter, and has sucked again this spring.  I am sure this wasn't a planned thing, but a reaction to Kopech not being able to make any progress, and in fact regressing pretty decently.

But what’s the rush to react?  Are they worried about losing an extra game or two in April if he has a bad start?  This team is losing 100 games with him in the rotation or not, might as well give him a shot as a starter.

• Thanks 4

11 minutes ago, fathom said:

Not so fast my friend 

Sigh. 

With how last year went and how this offseason went, you can't even justify this by saying "If he's good maybe we can move him at the trade deadline."

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I really don’t get anything that’s going on right now.  The Getz regime is going about as poorly as one would expect.  Whole lots of moves have been made, but very little upside acquired.

It's about what I expected. Making changes just to say you did. This team should be trying to maximize tail outcomes to get some unexpected value. Kopech being a closer adds no value to this team and not much value, if any, in a trade.

But what’s the rush to react?  Are they worried about losing an extra game or two in April if he has a bad start?  This team is losing 100 games with him in the rotation or not, might as well give him a shot as a starter.

What rush?  He's over 4 years of service time now.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The entire team sucks. Kopech has some talent at least. It's not like you're pulling him and replacing him with a better option. 

This.  Run him about there for half a dozen starts and see what happens.  IF he gets shelled, then move him to the pen.  The other side effect here is putting a guy like Nastrini or Thorpe or even Crochet (if he continues to get stretched out in the minors) in the OD rotation when you gain an extra year for letting Kopech take a few turns.  Its stupid. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Well, I guess he will come at a massive discount at least.  That's about the only good thing I can say right now.

I would think he has to have some value in the clubhouse and would be a good flyer to eat innings.  I think if he was total douche he wouldn't be in consideration.

If Crochet is on the MLB club a 3/3 inning split with these he and Kopech makes sense. 

Kopech seems to have never recovered from the TJ/COVID time off. 

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The entire team sucks. Kopech has some talent at least. It's not like you're pulling him and replacing him with a better option. 

TBH, if this is happening right, it is almost certainly because Michael Kopech continues to be a mental case and a trainwreck.  They obviously see that he can't handle it.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

It's about what I expected. Making changes just to say you did. This team should be trying to maximize tail outcomes to get some unexpected value. Kopech being a closer adds no value to this team and not much value, if any, in a trade.

But at what point do you give up on him being a starter?  He’s a free agent in 2026.  He’s been mediocre to bad as a starter.  He was best as a reliever in 2021.  If they can turn him into a stud closer or high leverage reliever, they can get something in return for him at least.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

TBH, if this is happening right, it is almost certainly because Michael Kopech continues to be a mental case and a trainwreck.  They obviously see that he can't handle it.

Maybe, but none of them can. The sox are starting fedde on opening day. He was the worst starter on a near 100 loss nats team a couple years ago. I struggle to see how a move to the bullpen fixes his issues. He doesn't even have an elite put out secondary at this point. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

Duvall just signed for the same $3M as Pillar too.  Woof.

Now I am sure he'd rather play for the Braves than the Sox, but even the minor moves just don't look good at all.  

Willing to let this thing play out a bit before jumping to major conclusions, but its just ugly. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

But at what point do you give up on him being a starter?  He’s a free agent in 2026.  He’s been mediocre to bad as a starter.  He was best as a reliever in 2021.  If they can turn him into a stud closer or high leverage reliever, they can get something in return for him at least.

Never. You're not salvaging value with him as a reliever. 

Run him into the ground. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, fathom said:

Kopech’s issue is his command sucks, followed by losing all shape to his slider.  His velocity has been good this spring, but he just can’t command his fastball.

I will never stop thinking that the biggest mistake the White Sox made with this player was failing to put him in AAA for 2021. Give him as many innings as he can take, let him build is arm up post surgery, let him get innings so that he can recover the consistency and control he was starting to develop in mid-2018, and maybe avoid the mental pressures of being tossed back into the big leagues after what was clearly a stressful 2020 for him.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1