White Sox bring Mike Clevinger back, pending physical

45 minutes ago, fathom said:

I don’t mind him, as it sounds like he was a good clubhouse presence last year.  I’m just laughing though because I know the reaction some will have.

I was all for signing Bauer and Clevinger before the season started because it was the only way the Sox would be able to acquire two good starters for their awful rotation.  They would be dirt cheap, which Jerry allows.  Also, there was still some slight hope as their record was still 0-0.  But I don’t get signing Clevinger as you are about to be 0-4 and you can see that your lineup is trash.  Strange timing by Getz but I guess it was a matter of waiting out Clevinger to accept his lowball offer.

• Like 1

Curious to see how much money Clev cost himself opting out. Always said he should have taken that deal…

While I don’t have the hate for Clev that some do, I do think this is a solid move. Based on the fact no one really wanted him, don’t see this as a move that could really return much, but it will eat innings. If nothing else, hopefully it stops them from rushing Nastrini into the big leagues and wasting a year of control. I am sure Clev has been working out and hopefully they can just slot him right into the rotation in a week or so. 

9 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They had this low ball offer out to him for a while.  I honestly can't believe no one would beat it and he finally caved. 

What are the terms? 

19 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Agree with those that say if you're gonna do this go sign a Urias or a Bauer, be the team that takes the PR hit, and try and get something for them 

We already saw last year that no one wanted to trade for Clevinger.  Bauer can be had for a minor league contract at league minimum and no one has signed him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

We already saw last year that no one wanted to trade for Clevinger.  Bauer can be had for a minor league contract at league minimum and no one has signed him.

You can’t just ignore the $4M buyout tho. No one wanted Clev last year because of that, and he had 1 start since coming off the IL at the deadline. I bet if he produces about the same as last year and this is like 1/$4-5M deal, he’ll be moved in July for some fringe prospect that needs to be added to the 40 man, a AAAA type or a live arm. Not exciting, but something and he eats some innings in the meantime. 

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

You can’t just ignore the $4M buyout tho. No one wanted Clev last year because of that, and he had 1 start since coming off the IL at the deadline. I bet if he produces about the same as last year and this is like 1/$4-5M deal, he’ll be moved in July for some fringe prospect that needs to be added to the 40 man, a AAAA type or a live arm. Not exciting, but something and he eats some innings in the meantime. 

Wouldn’t the Sox have sent any team interested in Clevinger last year enough money to cover his remaining contract and additional cash considerations for his contract buyout if they could’ve received a return in the form of a prospect or two?  They ended up eating all of those costs anyways, so I’m not buying it.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, fathom said:

They’re going to need innings this year.  

Exactly, or at least they will need starting pitchers. They can’t just start relievers.

39 minutes ago, wegner said:

That's what Bryan Shaw is for

He doesn’t start though. The rotation is basically dog s%*# and they need more than just a few guys with starting experience. They also need to build a starting rotation in the coming years.

11 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Been wanting this since the Cease trade.

I have been wanting another starting pitcher, it didn’t have to be Clevinger though.

14 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

Why? It accomplishes nothing and is another PR hit for a team that has plenty of them.

Because he will now be our best pitcher.. and with practically no salary, maybe if he pitches well maybe we could flip him.. Even if we can't, we still need arms.

24 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Curious to see how much money Clev cost himself opting out. Always said he should have taken that deal…

While I don’t have the hate for Clev that some do, I do think this is a solid move. Based on the fact no one really wanted him, don’t see this as a move that could really return much, but it will eat innings. If nothing else, hopefully it stops them from rushing Nastrini into the big leagues and wasting a year of control. I am sure Clev has been working out and hopefully they can just slot him right into the rotation in a week or so. 

I don’t think the Sox would have picked up their half of the option.

19 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

With the Sox being on the hook for the buyout if they didn’t move him, I’m sure they were willing to send cash in a trade.

4 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Because he will now be our best pitcher.. and with practically no salary, maybe if he pitches well maybe we could flip him.. Even if we can't, we still need arms.

I hope he fails spectacularly. 

• Thanks 2

They won’t trade him, but he will cover some innings. I’ve grown numb to the point where I just don’t care. Maybe they let Nastrini make a few starts here and send him back down when Clevinger is ready. Can recoup the extra year of control.

21 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

Why? It accomplishes nothing and is another PR hit for a team that has plenty of them.

Tomorrow they announce the campfire ice cream nachos 

• Haha 3
  • Love 1

30 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Wouldn’t the Sox have sent any team interested in Clevinger last year enough money to cover his remaining contract and additional cash considerations for his contract buyout if they could’ve received a return in the form of a prospect or two?  They ended up eating all of those costs anyways, so I’m not buying it.

Sure, they could have sent $ to make a deal happen. I am sure they (at JRs direction) were focused on cutting payroll. Not really asking you to buy anything, but you can’t just ignore the fact that the $4M buyout had Clevenger paid more like a $20M player for August and September, which obviously he isn’t. 

Edited by ChiSox59

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Sure, they could have sent $ to make a deal happen. I am sure they (at JRs direction) were focused on cutting payroll. Not really asking you to buy anything, but you can’t just ignore the fact that the $4M buyout had Clevenger paid more like a $20M player, which obviously he isn’t. 

It still doesn’t make sense.  Wouldn’t the Sox have offered to send all but maybe $500K to  $1 million of Clevinger’s remaining salary + buyout for even a Single A flier?  The Sox ended up paying all of Clevinger’s salary + buyout, so they would have taken any offer that saved them even a small amount of cash and got them a mediocre prospect.  If no team was interested in Clevinger last year with how he was pitching for $500K and a Single A lottery ticket, I doubt any team was interested at all.  It just doesn’t make any logical sense otherwise.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fathom said:

They’re going to need innings this year.  

This is really all there is to it. It’s not like there’s a line of FA pitchers that are banging down to door to come here. He’s a sacrificial arm to eat the innings you aren’t gonna get with Crochet, Soroka, and Flexen.

1 hour ago, Tnetennba said:

Peace out Soxtalk. I'm done with this fucking org.

I hope so. 

You started the thread for today's Braves game with this gem:

"Keep those losses rolling in!"

Then you had some links and some comments about the weather and the chance of rain.

Then you said,  "Pedro should just email the Braves his lineup card with a note of forfeit. For the whole series."

Your constant, endless negativity is a complete drag. I hope you are gone for good. 

But wait, don't you have to post like 30 "Fire Pedro" comments before you leave for good?

• Like 4
  • Fire 2

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The difference between 65 and 62 wins doesn't seem worth it.

I don't for a second understand this take or mentality. Why is it not worth it. This is three more games this year where I'll be happy and not pissed off. 63 wins is better than 62 wins. I'm gonna follow and get behind this team. Every single win is good and every single loss is band.