Luis Robert right hip flexor injury

8 minutes ago, nrockway said:

normal humans don't talk that way but I would hope my doctor uses objective criteria to measure how my treatment is progressing and not use meaningless and arbitrary shorthand analogies for the sake of 'communication'. There's a difference between "your cancer is 90% cured" and "your cancerous tumor has reduced in size by 90%". So I'll ask again, how does one determine the difference between "he's running at 80%" and "he's running at 90%" in order to make the assessment that Robert is ready to resume normal baseball activities? why is 90% the medically-sound cutoff point and not 93.6%? Yeah medicine isn't an exact science but it also isn't an exercise in writing marketing copy. And yes this is the non-MD manager relaying information to the media, but I think there's a pretty strong basis to question whether or not this team's medical staff isn't just practicing quackery. 

facepalm-picard.gif

8 minutes ago, nrockway said:

normal humans don't talk that way but I would hope my doctor uses objective criteria to measure how my treatment is progressing and not use meaningless and arbitrary shorthand analogies for the sake of 'communication'. There's a difference between "your cancer is 90% cured" and "your cancerous tumor has reduced in size by 90%". So I'll ask again, how does one determine the difference between "he's running at 80%" and "he's running at 90%" in order to make the assessment that Robert is ready to resume normal baseball activities? why is 90% the medically-sound cutoff point and not 93.6%? Yeah medicine isn't an exact science but it also isn't an exercise in writing marketing copy. And yes this is the non-MD manager relaying information to the media, but I think there's a pretty strong basis to question whether or not this team's medical staff isn't just practicing quackery. 

This isn't a White Sox thing, this is 100% normal.  As an athlete, being asked to practice as at 80 or 90% is a normal thing.   Injury talk is the same way because there is no scientific way to exactly measure injury recovery.  As with a lot of injuries there are levels of activities you can undertake so as to aid in your recovery. If you tear a Hamstring you don't lie completely immobile from the hips down until you fully heal.  You start doing little things like short walks right after surgery to keep your muscles active.  Even Tommy John guys are throwing before they are 100%.

You are hung up entirely too deep on the percentages for no good reason.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This isn't a White Sox thing, this is 100% normal.  As an athlete, being asked to practice as at 80 or 90% is a normal thing.   Injury talk is the same way because there is no scientific way to exactly measure injury recovery.  As with a lot of injuries there are levels of activities you can undertake so as to aid in your recovery. If you tear a Hamstring you don't lie completely immobile from the hips down until you fully heal.  You start doing little things like short walks right after surgery to keep your muscles active.  Even Tommy John guys are throwing before they are 100%.

You are hung up entirely too deep on the percentages for no good reason.

It's not that I'm hung up on it, it's that you guys keep writing back to me about the same thing so I'm just trying to respond in unique and novel ways. I'll do it one more time. 

It seems like you could just as easily say essentially what you wrote. "He's progressing at a faster rate than anticipated. This is good news but there's still a ways to go".  I guess I am hung up on the percentages. It's dumb and it makes no sense. Worse than making no sense, it's misleading. So is he 80% healed from the injury and at whatever constitutes 90%, you resume normal activities and this is cited in medical literature? I think they're rushing this guy back is basically my point and using quasi-scientific language to mask the fact that they don't know what they're doing.

57 minutes ago, nrockway said:

You are talking about 2 very different things healing cancer can be quantified by imaging such as MRI or VY scans. 

Trying to quantify how hard someone is running can only be determined by the athlete. Your 70% effort is different than someone else's 70%. The full quote would probably be, he can run 80% without pain. That is slightly more objective but pain is also subjective from one person to another.

29 minutes ago, nrockway said:

It's not that I'm hung up on it, it's that you guys keep writing back to me about the same thing so I'm just trying to respond in unique and novel ways. I'll do it one more time. 

It seems like you could just as easily say essentially what you wrote. "He's progressing at a faster rate than anticipated. This is good news but there's still a ways to go".  I guess I am hung up on the percentages. It's dumb and it makes no sense. Worse than making no sense, it's misleading. So is he 80% healed from the injury and at whatever constitutes 90%, you resume normal activities and this is cited in medical literature? I think they're rushing this guy back is basically my point and using quasi-scientific language to mask the fact that they don't know what they're doing.

They didn't say he was 80% healed. They said he was running at 80%. That doesn't mean he is 80% healed. That means he is running at 80% effort. He could be 90% healed but the rehab protocol they set is protecting the muscle on a set time line.

He is currently training at an 80% effort with no lasting soreness. The next step is to train at 90% effort and see if soreness lasts more than a day. If he can do that, he will return to games.

If he is too sore after 90% effort they will back him down to 80% and try again. This is how rehab works. It's not linear. 

• Like 2

On 4/10/2024 at 12:19 PM, 2Deep said:

Get Luis healthy and playing at a high level again and then TRADE him for the best package you can get.

I love Luis as a player but he will never be healthy.  Last year was an outlier.  

Never is a long time.

On 4/12/2024 at 4:13 PM, southsider2k5 said:

✔️ get hurt on a routine play

✔️ try to play through an injury after your organization questions your manhood in the press

✔️ Get hurt worse and more long term

✔️ start planting stories about them coming back early

Guilt players into coming back too earlier.  <--- YOU ARE HERE

Be ineffective because still not 100%

Get hurt again.

You can see where we are right now on the check list.

We are now on the the "ineffective" step

Posted (edited)

I wasn't hung up on this anymore, I wasn't even thinking about LuBob. Then Schriffen had to say "oh he was at 90 percent but now he's at 70 percent and we want him back up to 90 percent". What the f*** does that mean? I don't think anybody knows. just say 69 percent. at least that's funny. 

Edited by nrockway
  • Like 3

Totally not a fair comparison but with Robert I think about Buxton. Luis has put up much better numbers but does get injured quite often in his 5 years.

Buxton when healthy is a high light reel like Justin Fields. It plays well on Sport Center and Youtube .

The Twins are locked into a long term team friendly contract. If Buxton puts together an MVP season , who knows, doubtful with his 10 year history and all the injuries taking their toll.

On 5/10/2024 at 7:15 PM, nrockway said:

I wasn't hung up on this anymore, I wasn't even thinking about LuBob. Then Schriffen had to say "oh he was at 90 percent but now he's at 70 percent and we want him back up to 90 percent". What the f*** does that mean? I don't think anybody knows. just say 69 percent. at least that's funny. 

As said ad nauseum, it's his perceived rate of exertion of what he can do without pain.

Should we go to the examples of smiley face and frowning face medical professionals use with children.  That's another example of ways to use patient feedback on how they are doing.

Another one is rating your pain on a scale from zero to ten with zero being no pain at all and ten being going to the emergency room. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ptatc said:

As said ad nauseum, it's his perceived rate of exertion of what he can do without pain.

Should we go to the examples of smiley face and frowning face medical professionals use with children.  That's another example of ways to use patient feedback on how they are doing.

Another one is rating your pain on a scale from zero to ten with zero being no pain at all and ten being going to the emergency room. 

they should say something different. and hey, they did, check it out: "He’s coming along. He’s a little further behind  Robert, but he’s also coming along good.” not "Yoan is at 49% while Robert oscillates between 70% and 110%" smartest thing Grifol has said all season. 

13 minutes ago, nrockway said:

they should say something different. and hey, they did, check it out: "He’s coming along. He’s a little further behind  Robert, but he’s also coming along good.” not "Yoan is at 49% while Robert oscillates between 70% and 110%" smartest thing Grifol has said all season. 

I assume you haven't spent much time rehabilitating from an injuries under the supervision of trained medical staff, I take it.

4 hours ago, nrockway said:

You are talking two different measures. One is a players progress compared to another. The other is how hard an individual is working. What would Grifol say if moncada wasn't injured? 

The medical staff needs to know how soon robert can start playing games. That has nothing to do with moncadas progress from injuries. 

As someone else said you mist have never really had these types if injuries as your medical team would have discussed your progress in these terms. They need feedback from the patient so they can progress the rehab protocol. These decisions can't be made without feedback from the patient. Only they know how the injury feels.