4/21 Sox @ Phils

54 minutes ago, flavum said:

Ozzie went off in the pregame about Lee should start everyday…especially today. Maldonado is done, 

If only JR would have brought back Ozzie instead of TLR.  I don't care what people think about Ozzie quitting on the Sox.  I have no doubt we wouldn't be in this situation today if Ozzie was the Manager. Ozzie would of kicked TA's ass and told him to respect the game, and he certainly wouldn't have told the players not to go full speed to first base.  It's been a downward spiral ever since TLR was brought back.  Ozzie know how to play the game the right way and wouldn't stand for anything less.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

The Sox don't turn them into crap, they were done before they signed it's just that the Sox GM's have no clue what every other team in baseball knew about these guys.   Sandy Alomar JR, Ron Bloomberg, John Jay, Jerry Reuss, Jamie Navarro, Yasmani Grandal, Mike Clevinger twice, Joe Kelly, Wellington Castillo, Derek Holland, Dallas Keuchel, Adam Dunn, Adam La Roche, Eaton 2nd signing, and Nick Swisher.

Ken Griffey JR, Michael Jordon could be added to the list as well, and I'm sure there's more.

I disagree with Swisher.  He went on to hit well for the Yankees for 4 seasons and another decent season with the Indians after he left the Sox.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

If only JR would have brought back Ozzie instead of TLR.  I don't care what people think about Ozzie quitting on the Sox.  I have no doubt we wouldn't be in this situation today if Ozzie was the Manager. Ozzie would of kicked TA's ass and told him to respect the game, and he certainly wouldn't have told the players not to go full speed to first base.  It's been a downward spiral ever since TLR was brought back.  Ozzie know how to play the game the right way and wouldn't stand for anything less.

You hire Ozzie right now. As someone mentioned, who wants the gig right now? He does and he's right there. 

• Like 2

there's no chance the Sox go with some internal dude who's never managed at the big league level.  that's just too much of a risk, they're gonna try to find a veteran former manager who's willing to take on this dumpster fire.  a rookie manager (if you've never managed at the MLB level, you'd be a rookie) might turn out almost exactly the same as Grifol, lights too bright, can't handle the media scrutiny, and  end up being way over their head

i've always been against bringing back Ozzie but as average/below average he was at X's and O's, his personality might be exactly what they need right now, if even just for a year

• TLR 1

1 hour ago, wegner said:

Grifol surely praises him enough

I think everyone wants a manager who says these guys are crap and I have no confidence in them. I think the front office would be really excited to here that level of blunt honesty from their manager. 

No Ozzie. The "respect the game" stuff is what LaRussa was doing.  

Not a young players manager.

Can't the Sox, for the first time 20 years, hire a manager like a normal team. 

Edited by GreenSox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

LOL, I never thought about this but you are right.  I believe the last Sox manager to manage another team after leaving the Sox was Ozzie with the Marlins once he left the Sox in 2011.  Embarrassing.  If you keep going back in time, it wasn’t much better either.

Depending on how far back you want to go:

Paul Richards (Orioles; I think he won Manager of the Year)

Chuck Tanner (Pirates; where he won a World Series / Braves)

Bob Lemon (Yankees; where he won a World Series)

Tony La Russa (A's; where he won a World Series / Cardinals; where he won a World Series)

Jim Fregosi (Phillies; where he went to the World Series / Blue Jays)

Jeff Torborg (Mets / Expos / Marlins; he wasn't fired but was forced out by Ron Schueler)

Jerry Manuel (Mets)

Ozzie Guillen (Marlins)

Edited by Lip Man 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

No Ozzie. The "respect the game" stuff is what LaRussa was doing.  

Not a young players manager.

Can't the Sox, for the first time 20 years, hire a manager like a normal team. 

Hiring an experienced manager with a winning background costs money and JR has gone on record as saying he doesn't think a field manager or head coach matters that much to a team's performance. 

13 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I think everyone wants a manager who says these guys are crap and I have no confidence in them. I think the front office would be really excited to here that level of blunt honesty from their manager. 

You know what, he's never going to get another managing gig anyways so how about...."I have absolutely no talent here. These guys suck." Maybe the team will rally around that...and yes I know that won't happen.

• Paper Bag 1

29 minutes ago, flavum said:

It’s really frightening to think about how bad the next 60 could be. This team may be 14-67 at the half way point. 

For comparison, the 03 Tigers were 20-61 after 81 games

47 minutes ago, TitoMB345 said:

I took Phillies -3.5 on the alternate run line. Yesss.

I'm glad they didn't rally to win one for you like I asked.

• Haha 1

Every day they lose is every day that we get closer to reckoning, every day that proves the fans and analysts were correct while the buffoons running this joke of an org were abysmally, foolishly and laughably incorrect.

59 minutes ago, Green Line said:

Soft part of the schedule coming up.  Need to start piling up those wins.

When you’re the worst team in baseball, there is no soft part of the schedule!  The White Sox can’t play the White Sox!

18 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Hiring an experienced manager with a winning background costs money and JR has gone on record as saying he doesn't think a field manager or head coach matters that much to a team's performance. 

But would it cost that much more to hire a base or bench coach from a winning organization than hiring one from the effing Royals.