Story on Sox trade possibilities...

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

I don't see it for Crochet - but if there is a team who is squinting and seeing him as a front of the rotation guy who is cheap - maybe they offer up something in a lottery ticket move.  But I don't see it. I think it will take more of a track record before a team gives what would be an appropriate trade-off for the Sox to move on from Crochet. 

With that said - depending on how many teams are in the race and how he is doing as we get deeper into summer - crazier things have happened.  The more teams in the race - the less sellers available - so the thinner that market is from a seller's perspective & bigger the buyer's market is - the better the odds Sox could get artificially high value for Crochet. 

I wouldn't bet on it - what I will do is - hope for a lot of health and hope he's pitching really well.  

I agree. Rays I could see wanting him, and I could also see please don't trade with the Rays.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I think the question is - if you are getting say a 175-225 type of prospect (and a filler) do you actually trade him if you were the Sox or do you keep him and see if he can continue to develop and see what happens a year later. It isn't like the Sox have to trade him at the deadline.  

If he pitches well and you can get some good stuff for the long-run great, if you are just getting a lottery ticket than I'd rather keep him and see what you can get if he shows a longer track record (ideally) of quality pitching. 

Well, Fedde looks more solid with every start. I'd think he (maybe with a reliever) can bring back a couple guys who may not be a team's top prospects, but solid pieces. 

Posted (edited)

Reminder that pitching is always overvalued at the trade deadline and this year will not be an exception.  Now, guys who can potentially slot into a post-season rotation and provide regular season innings (say Fedde) are going to be far more valuable than your pure innings eaters (like Flexen).  For low market teams that are strapped for cash and big market teams up against the luxury tax, Fedde’s reasonable and attractive option will be highly valuable.  He just needs to keep pitching well to convince other clubs that this new version is the one to expect going forward and the not the guy who had to go to Korea to prove himself.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Reminder that pitching is always overvalued at the trade deadline and this year will not be an exception.  Now, guys who can potentially slot into a post-season rotation and provide regular season innings (say Fedde) are going to be far more valuable than your pure innings eaters (like Flexen).  For low market teams that are strapped for cash and big market teams up against the luxury tax, Fedde’s reasonable and attractive option will be highly valuable.  He just needs to keep pitching well to convince other clubs that this new version is the one to expect going forward and the not the guy who had to go to Korea to prove himself.

There is no option.  Fedde is guaranteed $7.5 million next year.

Erick Fedde rhp
2 years/$15M (2024-25)

• 2 years/$15M (2024-25)
    • signed by Chicago White Sox as a free agent 12/5/23
    • 24:$7.5M, 25:$7.5M

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

There is no option.  Fedde is guaranteed $7.5 million next year.

Erick Fedde rhp
2 years/$15M (2024-25)

• 2 years/$15M (2024-25)
    • signed by Chicago White Sox as a free agent 12/5/23
    • 24:$7.5M, 25:$7.5M

Sorry, should have said cheap controllable year.  But point remains the same, $7.5M is an absolute steal for what Fedde is providing right now.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

From the perspective of flipping the SP and maybe a position player or two the season so far has been a success. That's quite the narrow grading system but if it was a pass fail they've at least passed that area.

Not sure why people would be arguing otherwise. You can argue about being 18 under on May 13th or something but arguing that the flip candidates haven't been raising their value or holding it is dumb.

• Like 2

It depends on how one defines 'decent' or whatever other adjective you wish to use. A top 30 org guy sounds nice, but that really means roughly a top 900 prospect in MiLB.

Fedde's been good. My issue would be that he has no track record, not a guy who has ever sniffed the post season or really had a year where he'd be in the rotation for a contending team before this year. Also will probably come close to career MLB high in innings by the deadline if he continues to pitch well.  That said, others have pointed out that there is always a stronger SP market than there should be. Could get a top 200 guy here, or more if lots of SP go down. 

I don't Flexen is going to get anything more than a total flier. I think Crochet won't because he's likely going to have to be shut down. He could command something good next year. 

Pham will almost certainly have some value, but it's capped because his position is pretty dime-a-dozen. 

Think most of the rest are likely fliers. Maybe if one of BP guys heats up. 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, bmags said:

I agree. Rays I could see wanting him, and I could also see please don't trade with the Rays.

Rays aren’t immune to mistakes. Their trade for Civale last TDL was BRUTAL. Hell, I’d rather have Flexen than Civale this season lol

At 12-29 and coming off a little hot streak a lot of people are now "See, they weren't really as bad as it started" however, their pyth. W/L is 11-30, so yeah its still pretty bad overall.

This team is still not going to be competitive next season, so with that in mind if im the GM, the following names are on the block right now and traded this season pending....

If the offer blows the doors off: Luis Robert (Otherwise, get him healthy and trade in the off-season/2025 deadline)

If the offer is strong with legit prospects: Garrett Crochet (Otherwise, finish the year hopefully strong and trade in the off-season/2025 deadline)

Must be traded this season by the deadline, ranked by expected return:

Return Tier 1: Erick Fedde

Return Tier 2: Michael Kopech; Steven Wilson

Return Tier 3: Tommy Pham; John Brebbia

Return Tier 4: Gavin Sheets; Paul DeJong; Chris Flexen

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rusty_Kuntz said:

It depends on how one defines 'decent' or whatever other adjective you wish to use. A top 30 org guy sounds nice, but that really means roughly a top 900 prospect in MiLB.

Fedde's been good. My issue would be that he has no track record, not a guy who has ever sniffed the post season or really had a year where he'd be in the rotation for a contending team before this year. Also will probably come close to career MLB high in innings by the deadline if he continues to pitch well.  That said, others have pointed out that there is always a stronger SP market than there should be. Could get a top 200 guy here, or more if lots of SP go down. 

I don't Flexen is going to get anything more than a total flier. I think Crochet won't because he's likely going to have to be shut down. He could command something good next year. 

Pham will almost certainly have some value, but it's capped because his position is pretty dime-a-dozen. 

Think most of the rest are likely fliers. Maybe if one of BP guys heats up. 

The one thing we CAN say is that, while he doesn’t have the track record, he did have top prospect pedigree. That and a buck will still get you a cheap cup of coffee, but IMO it seems like if you have that one-time prospect pedigree, you’re more likely to be seen as a “guy who finally figured it out” rather than a flash in the pan… ergo, you have a slightly higher trade value.

It’s not worth nearly as much as a track record, but it’s worth SOMETHING.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoeC said:

The one thing we CAN say is that, while he doesn’t have the track record, he did have top prospect pedigree. That and a buck will still get you a cheap cup of coffee, but IMO it seems like if you have that one-time prospect pedigree, you’re more likely to be seen as a “guy who finally figured it out” rather than a flash in the pan… ergo, you have a slightly higher trade value.

He was thoroughly scouted by every single team in 2014. Many front offices have turned over, but the same scouts and asst. GMs are still around. 

2 hours ago, JoeC said:

That's fair enough. He's been a lot better than I thought, and I'm happy for him. Hopefully he keeps it up. 

• Like 1

On 5/7/2024 at 2:44 PM, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

We literally have 0 trade guys that will bring a Sox top 30 prospect guy.

Be more specific. Are we talking top 30 in all of MLB or someone in top 30 team prospects ?

Usually when you say top 30 it corresponds with team prospects rather than league prospects .

Top 30 MLB prospect, no, not a chance. Top 30 of any particular team is very likely since that covers 900+ different prospects.

And even then rankings don't mean everything. Was Tatis, Jr. ever in the Sox top 30 ?

On 5/12/2024 at 1:43 PM, SoCalChiSox said:

Strike quick on Flexen before he comes back to earth if it's really a hot market.

I think hot commodity at this point of the season usually means getting some initial phone calls looking for someone hot and giving up a garbage return.

Of course you could take a shot that Flexen stays hot if you can spot changes he's made that you think are sustainable, but most GMs would rather give it more time knowing either way they know the Sox would be pleased to move him.

On 5/12/2024 at 3:35 PM, southsider2k5 said:

Trades in May are super rare.

Alresdy seen some and I'm not paying close attention to the transaction wires.

Grossman and Arraez . Rare but certainly not unheard of. Super rare I'd need to have some kind of value to quantify using such a term. Is it hitting for the cycle super rare, perfect game super rare or no hitter super rare ?

7 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Be more specific. Are we talking top 30 in all of MLB or someone in top 30 team prospects ?

Usually when you say top 30 it corresponds with team prospects rather than league prospects .

Top 30 MLB prospect, no, not a chance. Top 30 of any particular team is very likely since that covers 900+ different prospects.

And even then rankings don't mean everything. Was Tatis, Jr. ever in the Sox top 30 ?

Never had time to since he didn't even play in an ACL game...

My favs at Future Sox think Getz will be able to get a big return on Kopech and to a lesser degree the others like Fedde, Flexen, Pham.  You could add Clevenger to the list also.

Plenty of pitching in the minors to come up and show what they can do.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2024 at 8:00 PM, caulfield12 said:

Hard to imagine who will be in demand, beyond MAYBE Fedde.

Wilson, I suppose.

Kopech, if he can get on a run of any type of extended success and another team really believes they can get something positive out of him.

Pham's just not a solid enough fielder...he realistically belongs on at LF/DH on a legit playoff contender.

Maybe Mendick for a team needing someone off the bench that can play nearly every position and will be content with whatever role he's assigned.

Crochet...no business trading him until he's made it through an entire season as a starter.   Then, you have to decide whether to go for the 'ol "team friendly" extension terms or deal him.   And JR's certainly not going to authorize an extension based on just 3-4 starts this season.  He's going to need 2-3 months of repeated success before he is ultimately shut down.

Crochet might be the only guy on the team who could realistically be on the next good Sox team. 

4 hours ago, Falstaff said:

My favs at Future Sox think Getz will be able to get a big return on Kopech and to a lesser degree the others like Fedde, Flexen, Pham.  You could add Clevenger to the list also.

Plenty of pitching in the minors to come up and show what they can do.

If by "big" they mean a guy that will slot in around 10-15 in our system sure. If by "big" they mean a top 100 MLB prospect? Not a chance, unless he's part of a package.

40 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

If by "big" they mean a guy that will slot in around 10-15 in our system sure. If by "big" they mean a top 100 MLB prospect? Not a chance, unless he's part of a package.

I could see a Kopech/Pham for Triantos type deal

• Like 1

7 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Never had time to since he didn't even play in an ACL game...

My point exactly. Any time you get a prospect especially in the lowest levels you can still strike gold.

But you can also be a ranked prospect as a top domestic draftee or international signee without ever having played, but Tatis, Jr was never considered top of the class, so to speak.

1 hour ago, Boopa1219 said:

Crochet might be the only guy on the team who could realistically be on the next good Sox team. 

Robert is only 2 years older and will become a free agent at the same time.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I think he’s implying that the Sox have a much better chance of extending Crochet a couple years than Robert.

I am WAY more on board with extending Robert vs Crochet.