Story on Sox trade possibilities...

27 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Injury history gives me pause on both.  Scott Boras tells you that there is no chance Robert extends early.

It's only one off-season, but Boras' clout took massive Ls this year.

35 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Injury history gives me pause on both.  Scott Boras tells you that there is no chance Robert extends early.

That's fair.  I mean I am in the camp of unless you get a MASSIVE discount with multiple options on Crochet, that's the only way I would extend him.  Robert has a better (but definitely not great) history.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Quin said:

It's only one off-season, but Boras' clout took massive Ls this year.

I said it during the off season, and will say  it again here, there was tons of collusion this winter.  It might take a while to come out, it might never come out, but you won't convince me otherwise.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am WAY more on board with extending Robert vs Crochet.  

It’s not a question of what one wants but simply put the reality is the Sox have a better shot of extending Crochet than Robert for a number of reasons.

23 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

It’s not a question of what one wants but simply put the reality is the Sox have a better shot of extending Crochet than Robert for a number of reasons.

Of course it is a better shot, because Crochet has every incentive in the world to extend.  He has an extensive injury history, and not much of a history of success.  That deal is probably a disaster as soon as it is signed.  I am not super excited about the prospect of promising nine figures to a guy who hasn't managed to get 120 innings in the 5 years he has been on a major league roster.  That's not even good for a reliever, let alone a guy who would be getting paid like a starter.

5 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I said it during the off season, and will say  it again here, there was tons of collusion this winter.  It might take a while to come out, it might never come out, but you won't convince me otherwise.

Maybe a little collusion was needed.

5 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Of course it is a better shot, because Crochet has every incentive in the world to extend.  He has an extensive injury history, and not much of a history of success.  That deal is probably a disaster as soon as it is signed.  I am not super excited about the prospect of promising nine figures to a guy who hasn't managed to get 120 innings in the 5 years he has been on a major league roster.  That's not even good for a reliever, let alone a guy who would be getting paid like a starter.

9 figures? No way. For all the reasons you mentioned, an extension would be something like 2-3 years at ~$15M AAV.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

That is insanely low.

Crochet's making $800k this year, with 2 years of control left. What could he possibly make in those 2 arbitration years? $4m and $12m? You could buy out those two years for 2 option years of $15 each? Then he enters FA as a 29 year old. If he doesn't make it to the end of the next 2 years, he's probably set for life, anyway, including the buyouts. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

You mean how the league collectively refused to sign Trevor Bauer?

53 minutes ago, 4OCS said:

You mean how the league collectively refused to sign Trevor Bauer?

All TV networks collectively decided to not cast John Gacy in any father roles, so it's probably more like that. 

• Haha 1

On 5/5/2024 at 9:58 PM, Lip Man 1 said:

Nightengale in his column Sunday wrote this:

"The White Sox off to their worst start in franchise history, are still hoping to trade Tommy Pham to the highest bidder before the trade deadline."

"The White Sox are also expected to trade starters Erick Fedde, Chris Flexen, Mike Clevinger, reliever Michael Kopech and DH Eloy Jimenez."

So basically the Sox are trying to assure another 40-to-50 win season next year. I don't understand modern rebuilding. It's disgraceful.

5 hours ago, greg775 said:

So basically the Sox are trying to assure another 40-to-50 win season next year. I don't understand modern rebuilding. It's disgraceful.

Tough pill to swallow because we are seeing the team play better baseball. If callups have success it will ease the pain.

10 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

That is insanely low.

If you are proposing 2/30 there is zero reason for the Sox to do it as they already control those two years, and probably for massively cheaper than that.  If you are looking at 3/45 you are buying out one free agency year for way below market, while paying WAY over market for the other two.  Seems odd, but maybe depending on if the kid wants cash now, or a chance at the powerball later.

If you are talking 3 free agency years at $15 million a year, that is insanely low for Crochet to sign.  If he has any self worth at all, for an offer like that, he waits another year at least.  As Carlos Rodon proved, you don't need much in the way of health with performance to cash in huge in free agency.

6 hours ago, greg775 said:

Is there a consolation prize for 60-to-70 wins that I am not aware of?  Would you really be more excited finishing in that range of wins?  If so, why?  A losing season is a losing season.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Fedde’s trade value rising!  Would be sweet to get a legit, major league ready OF prospect for him.

I have to think he would have some real value on the market if he continued like this. Not just a rental, he's 31 without a ton of innings on his arm in his ML career, and would slot in nicely as a No. 3 starter for a playoff team. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Tony said:

I have to think he would have some real value on the market if he continued like this. Not just a rental, he's 31 without a ton of innings on his arm in his ML career, and would slot in nicely as a No. 3 starter for a playoff team. 

Still pretty unproven quantity at this point.

Wouldn't the Orioles' fans go nuts if they started him as part of their playoff rotation (after Flaherty fiasco last year)...unless there were numerous injuries across that unit?

Still needs at least 4-6 more weeks of results before this looks like a realistic scenario.

Because then you're also going to have to push more guys like Thorpe or Iriarte up since Nastrini/Cannon both don't look ready yet.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Is there a consolation prize for 60-to-70 wins that I am not aware of?  Would you really be more excited finishing in that range of wins?  If so, why?  A losing season is a losing season.

Go back five or so years and this was the common post from those who loved tanking/rebuilding. I stuck to my guns and said I would have preferred keeping Sale and trying to win the traditional way. Trading anybody worthy of being on a MLB roster MAY or MAY NOT help this team in 3-4 seasons. I see no need to trade everybody with a pulse and again open 3-24 next season and have the season be over before school lets out.

There was a time everybody was excited about TA, Eloy, Moncada. Championship caliber players to build around following a tank job. Didn't work. I'll keep Sale any day.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 2