5/9 Games

Really hope Burke can get something going, real bummer of a start so far.

Poor mogollon, has not had a result that hasn't ended up in a catchers mit so far. 9 PAs, 8 Ks, 1 BB.

7 hours ago, bmags said:

Really hope Burke can get something going, real bummer of a start so far.

Poor mogollon, has not had a resultn that hasn't ended up in a catchers mit so far. 9 PAs, 8 Ks, 1 BB.

Makes me think that Dominican Summer League not any more advanced than an Illinois high school all-star league.

6.2 IP 1ER 3H 1BB 6K for Nastrini. The run was on a solo shot in the first, he basically cruised for most of the start.

Colas got pulled after getting caught snoozing off 1B. I guess he might have tweaked something trying to get back to the bag, but I lean towards an intentional benching for the lack of focus.

Eder went 5IP 1ER 6H 2BB 6K. Three singles in the first to score the run. He mostly settled down after that, but did have some deeper counts (60/86 through 5).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

Eder looks like he may have found it, the sucking may have been post injury mechanics fuckery. 

I love the way you analyze.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

Also Montgomery ice cold after a brief hot streak. .215 on the season. No bueno. 

I'd just encourage you not to judge his value by his BA throughout his career. He's talented and even talented players (and valuable ones) have contact issues in today's MLB.

11 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I'd just encourage you not to judge his value by his BA throughout his career. He's talented and even talented players (and valuable ones) have contact issues in today's MLB.

You can't hit that poorly and have value unless you're walking and hitting HR like Dunn and Gallo. 

even Gallo has played his way out of the league. 

14 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

You can't hit that poorly and have value unless you're walking and hitting HR like Dunn and Gallo. 

even Gallo has played his way out of the league. 

you can't compare a SS/3B with an almost guaranteed 330 OBP to a DH with one. Certainly not in today's game. Check the fWAR projections on fangraphs for Colson. If he got called up today he'd be like one of our better players. I don't really care what his BA says when he's above average in adjusted runs created for his league at 22 and can play a cromulent middle infield. 

But for now we have De Bong actually putting up some trade value so we'll probably have to wait until July or something to see Colson and that's a good problem.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

Also Montgomery ice cold after a brief hot streak. .215 on the season. No bueno. 

His wRC+ in May is 189 and his OPS is 1.148. WTF are you talking about? 

Edited by TaylorStSox
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

10 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

His wRC+ in May is 189 and his OPS is 1.148. WTF are you talking about? 

Looks to me a zebra never changes its stripes...

I'll leave it at that. 

My main concern with Colson has been the K rate. You won't have a lot of success at the major league level with a 30% k rate. His approach and his willingness to take pitches with 2 strikes may not be advisable when you come across pitchers with solid command in the bigs.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, mac9001 said:

My main concern with Colson has been the K rate. You won't have a lot of success at the major league level with a 30% k rate. His approach and his willingness to take pitches with 2 strikes may not be advisable when you come across pitchers with solid command in the bigs.

He reminds me a lot of Moncada when he first came up. Idk if his minor league patience will translate. 

It's only been about 6 weeks but I think the Sox (and us fans) need to pump the brakes about calling him up this year. Maybe ASB 2025 because he looks nowhere near ready right now. 

I'm not even saying he sucks, as there's a reason why all publications are high on him. 

I want to see some sustained success in the upper minors before calling him up. 

Edited by baseball_gal_aly

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

Is it safe to say he is no longer a top 100 guy? Especially since he will likely be a 3B. 

Edited by ron883
  • Haha 1