September 27Sep 27 27 minutes ago, Falstaff said:I can tell you what I heard from Chris Getz's interview. Colson's strike outs and slump was brought up by Bruce Levine. Getz first acknowledged Colson's contribution to the team's success with his glove, his home run production, and being a good in the clubhouse with everyone. Getz said Colson has also shown a willingness to work with the team by going down to AZ last year and his openness to work with the team again.All complimentary no negatives at all in the Getz interview I heard.That's why I was curious.
September 28Sep 28 Kolson can only hit the bottom third of the zone and is a pull only hitter. If I was apart of the coaching staff, I tell Kolson he works opposite field all offseason with a shorter swing. Pulling the ball for pop will naturally follow.
September 28Sep 28 On 9/25/2026 at 4:46 PM, southsider2k5 said:And yet he is still a .700 OPS hitter with high level defense. That's not topped out at AA.Oh please stop! You think a .700 OPS is good enough? It's very below average for a power hitter. C'mon now! Besides that, his OPS for July was .616; August .637, and September was a paltry .445, yes .445!!!!!!! And just 9 HR's in the 2nd half. If he wasn't treated as a golden boy, he would have been sent back down a month ago like every other struggling young player.Stop including what he did before the league figured him out 3 months ago.
September 28Sep 28 1 minute ago, Rounding_Third said:Oh please stop! You think a .700 OPS is good enough? It's very below average for a power hitter. C'mon now! Besides that, his OPS for July was .616; August .637, and September was a paltry .445, yes .445!!!!!!! And just 9 HR's in the 2nd half. If he wasn't treated as a golden boy, he would have been sent back down a month ago like every other struggling young player.Stop including what he did before the league figured him out 3 months ago.He put up top half SS numbers in MLB this season with all of his flaws. I know everyone is fixated on his Ks, but again, he has two more minimum wage seasons. You'd be an idiot to punt on that.
September 28Sep 28 1 minute ago, Soxfest said:When Rock is ready SS is his!Regardless of what Rock ends up being, there has to be a better option out there than record-breaking Kolson.
September 28Sep 28 8 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:He put up top half SS numbers in MLB this season with all of his flaws. I know everyone is fixated on his Ks, but again, he has two more minimum wage seasons. You'd be an idiot to punt on that.I agree with you 100%
September 28Sep 28 One interesting thing I’ve noticed is that lately when Colson gets “his pitch” in an AB he absolutely crushes it….about 10 rows foul into the right field corner. He’s had about 5-10 of those swings lately that would have been home runs if he had been a tenth of a second later on the ball. The power is still there. He’s still getting killed on breaking balls and changes in and out of the zone. He’s just not seeing the ball very well out of the pitchers hand for some reason. he went 4 for his last 59 with 1 double and 0 homers. It’s easily the worst slump of his career. I think you give him game 1 but if he doesn’t get on base, I start someone else in game 2.
September 28Sep 28 15 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:One interesting thing I’ve noticed is that lately when Colson gets “his pitch” in an AB he absolutely crushes it….about 10 rows foul into the right field corner. He’s had about 5-10 of those swings lately that would have been home runs if he had been a tenth of a second later on the ball. The power is still there.He’s still getting killed on breaking balls and changes in and out of the zone. He’s just not seeing the ball very well out of the pitchers hand for some reason.he went 4 for his last 59 with 1 double and 0 homers. It’s easily the worst slump of his career.I think you give him game 1 but if he doesn’t get on base, I start someone else in game 2.Maybe he should get his eyes checked/wear glasses
September 28Sep 28 On 9/27/2026 at 7:06 AM, Lightly Folded said:Personally I think it’s nuts to play Colson if the goal is to win playoff games. The infield can survive with Meidroth at short and Ant at second plus on offense they both add punch. Colson is dead weight. Whatever they do with him or he does with himself during the off season is his next chapter. Right now he’s a liability that doesn’t belong.It is nuts................were games really matter you want to play guys at different positions. I'll take Colson's range and height at SS over Meidroth. having a guy adjust to the OF, now put him back for a short series. It reminds of that one guy who was a set up man and thought he could be a closer. Interesting that every Sox forum you go to is now all about Montgomery. Try not to choke on those cherries we pick. We will continue to find ways to make failures all about him. I guess no one realized this is the only baseball team in the playoffs that doesn't have real starting rotation.
September 28Sep 28 12 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:He put up top half SS numbers in MLB this season with all of his flaws. I know everyone is fixated on his Ks, but again, he has two more minimum wage seasons. You'd be an idiot to punt on that.That is what we do. We can all wear that hat and shirt, we need to wear a helmet to avoid our kneejerk reactions to avoid that concussion that brings baseball stupidity and the mental illness of trade frenzy. I can't wait for the reactions about the team that wasn't meant to be in the playoffs are now there. Treat it like a Cinderella team.
September 28Sep 28 3 hours ago, Greg Hibbard said:One interesting thing I’ve noticed is that lately when Colson gets “his pitch” in an AB he absolutely crushes it….about 10 rows foul into the right field corner. He’s had about 5-10 of those swings lately that would have been home runs if he had been a tenth of a second later on the ball. The power is still there.He’s still getting killed on breaking balls and changes in and out of the zone. He’s just not seeing the ball very well out of the pitchers hand for some reason.he went 4 for his last 59 with 1 double and 0 homers. It’s easily the worst slump of his career.I think you give him game 1 but if he doesn’t get on base, I start someone else in game 2.I posted in a game thread or somewhere about the fact that Colson's foul ball rate has skyrocketed in August and September. An overwhelming amount of his contact has become foul balls. If you whiff like 30% of the time and 75% of your contact is foul balls, you're going to strike out a ton of the time. I have become increasingly convinced that the path of his swing is out of whack, making it hard for him to hit anything hard into play. The other problems with him would be much less noticeable if he was hitting one into the seats every 15 plate appearances or so. Edited September 28Sep 28 by Jake
September 28Sep 28 12 minutes ago, Jake said:I posted in a game thread or somewhere about the fact that Colson's foul ball rate has skyrocketed in August and September. An overwhelming amount of his contact has become foul balls. If you whiff like 30% of the time and 75% of your contact is foul balls, you're going to strike out a ton of the time. I have become increasingly convinced that the path of his swing is out of whack, making it hard for him to hit anything hard into play. The other problems with him would be much less noticeable if he was hitting one into the seats every 15 plate appearances or so.I think he looks anxious. Like he is trying to homer himself out of his slump on each swing, and he is out in front of a ton.
September 30Sep 30 Shortly after Smith strolled off the mound the third time, the White Sox got their biggest swing of the game courtesy of Colson Montgomery. The 24-year-old shortstop was batting ninth for Chicago, dropped to the bottom of the batting order after finishing the regular season on a miserable 4-for-62 skid that saw him break the MLB record for strikeouts in a season, with 227. But Montgomery has titanic, left-handed power. It was lying dormant during his brutal slump, but it produced 31 home runs before that, making him a uniquely dangerous threat at the bottom of Chicago's lineup. And leading off the fourth, Montgomery reminded everyone of his prodigious pop, crushing an 0-2 fastball up and away from Ullola to straightaway center field for a 432-foot solo homer that made it 4-0 White Sox.yahoo sports
October 2Oct 2 On 9/27/2026 at 10:15 PM, southsider2k5 said:He put up top half SS numbers in MLB this season with all of his flaws. I know everyone is fixated on his Ks, but again, he has two more minimum wage seasons. You'd be an idiot to punt on that.I'm not so fixed on his K rate but it is part of his overall performance for sure. His .169 RISP, his post all-star line of .163/.304/.557, and his very similar lack of success after the 5th inning is not worthy of a major leaguer. The fact that MLB figured him out 3 months ago and he hasn't been able to make the adjustments, highlights his 1-dimensional plate abilities. If he come to spring ball as the same batter, I doubt he makes the team. He won't have the 1st half numbers to pad his god-awful 2nd half performance. But I do hope he can figure it out. His defense is impeccable and his chemistry is magnetic, but it's not enough if he continues to fail >80% of his AB's and at his worse in clutch situations.
October 2Oct 2 Author 10 minutes ago, Rounding_Third said:I'm not so fixed on his K rate but it is part of his overall performance for sure. His .169 RISP, his post all-star line of .163/.304/.557, and his very similar lack of success after the 5th inning is not worthy of a major leaguer. The fact that MLB figured him out 3 months ago and he hasn't been able to make the adjustments, highlights his 1-dimensional plate abilities. If he come to spring ball as the same batter, I doubt he makes the team. He won't have the 1st half numbers to pad his god-awful 2nd half performance. But I do hope he can figure it out. His defense is impeccable and his chemistry is magnetic, but it's not enough if he continues to fail >80% of his AB's and at his worse in clutch situations.His bat needs to pick back up if he wants to be part of the future core. Unless this offense completely busts, Roch will be our SS in the near future. Colson can be a gold glove 3rd baseman if his bat plays there. I don't hate the idea of trying Vargas in the outfield. He's got the speed and arm to be good out there.
October 2Oct 2 On 9/28/2026 at 9:56 AM, Bob Sacamano said:Maybe he should get his eyes checked/wear glassesWorked for Rick Vaughn 🤓
3 hours ago3 hr 1 hour ago, fathom said:Colson Montgomery and prospects for Ronald Acuna Jr…who says no?Who (else) do we have they would actually want besides Bonemer/Carlson/Cholowsky?Obviously they have a SS hole.What's his contract?Guess that JR would say no largely based on Acuna's injury history, Braden's presence and the small fact ATL won their WS without him.Otoh you have a heart-warming family reunion lol. Edited 3 hours ago3 hr by caulfield12
3 hours ago3 hr I say this over and over. Why does everyone complain about Colton’s K’s and not Mune’s? How many time this series has Cleveland walked Vargas because they have absolutely no fear of Mune’s bat? 7 or 8 times?
3 hours ago3 hr 5 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:I say this over and over. Why does everyone complain about Colton’s K’s and not Mune’s?How many time this series has Cleveland walked Vargas because they have absolutely no fear of Mune’s bat? 7 or 8 times?Probably because most of Mune’s value comes with his bat. Thats all they ask for from him, because first base in the field has nominal value relative to SS. And a lot of Colson’s value is derived because he plays a premium position very well. But his bat problem drags his overall value down below a guy like Mune who derives very little value in the field relative to Colson. Mune’s bat does all the work. Edited 2 hours ago2 hr by Chick Mercedes
2 hours ago2 hr Colson hasn't been the problem in the playoffs. He's hitting .263 with a .865 OPS and has had a few important hits in the ALDS. There's been some luck in that, but with how he ended the season, anything productive at all is a win for him.
2 hours ago2 hr 30 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:I say this over and over. Why does everyone complain about Colton’s K’s and not Mune’s?How many time this series has Cleveland walked Vargas because they have absolutely no fear of Mune’s bat? 7 or 8 times?I complain about both
2 hours ago2 hr 2 minutes ago, Green Line said:I complain about bothSeriously, had Mune not gotten injured the Sox would hold spots 1 and 2 for most K's in a season.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.