music

hi8is

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dirty is the poppiest, but i still say evol-daydream-sister is the best damn 1-2-3 combo.

I'm honestly thinking of maybe telling you to start later at the murray street - sonic nurse - rather ripped.

for songs

teenage riot, schizophrenia

I'm thinking you should start middle at dirty, then if you like it go to the epic daydream nation, and then go where you want...because early sonic youth is very experimental guitar pop-distortion...The only album i really just can't stand was nyc ghosts

ALSO - built to spill was awesome tonight.

QUOTE(bmags @ Sep 19, 2006 -> 01:26 AM)
dirty is the poppiest, but i still say evol-daydream-sister is the best damn 1-2-3 combo.

I'm honestly thinking of maybe telling you to start later at the murray street - sonic nurse - rather ripped.

for songs

teenage riot, schizophrenia

I'm thinking you should start middle at dirty, then if you like it go to the epic daydream nation, and then go where you want...because early sonic youth is very experimental guitar pop-distortion...The only album i really just can't stand was nyc ghosts

ALSO - built to spill was awesome tonight.

I saw those guys a while back and yes, awesome they were.

Ok, for you indie fans:

I went to the Pygmalion Festival down here in Champaign and here were my favorite shows from the weekend-

Geoff Reacher- Totally weird, looped some beats for himself while tearing up the acoustic guitar. Lyrics were twangy/country sounding but totally weird. Mixed in a little bit of the kinks "Lola" into his own little verse, really cool stuff by a rundown looking dude.

Mad Science Fair- Played right after Reacher, nothing spectacular, just a fun show with some 60's fueled rock. The drummer looked like Michael Richards, even dressed like Kramer kind of. The highlight from them, an upbeat, rocking cover of Roy Orbison's "Crying." Before playing that the lead singer bet the audience that nobody would know it, so I had to let them know after the show and the guys laughed and I got a high five.

Elf Power- Totally poppy, upbeat, frolick dancing music, I was a huge fan, their lyrics were unspectacular but totally fun. I recommend checkin them out.

Murder By Death- Put on an absolutely sick show. My friend had the pleasure of buying us a round of shots with the lead singer/guitarist. They were really passionate and dark, and the cellist is gorgeous. :D

Of Montreal- Strange, very sexual, and absolutely awesome. The headliners of the weekend didn't disappoint, they played some totally new stuff and had the whole place going crazy. The lead singer is very strange, with his multiple dress changes, at one point looking like a hooker, and at another point dressing like daisy duke. However, the music was good, and if you're open minded you'd find humor in the freakshow going on onstage.

All in all, a great weekend for music, I was totally hooked.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 06:57 AM)
I hope they last a little bit longer than friggin Jet. The next WM record will tell us if they want to be a good band with lasting power, or if they want to make money and get out.

By the way, Perry Farrell came out and gave Wolfmother a nice big introduction before their set. I never saw him for the rest of the festival.

I don't see the parallels.

Jet caught lightning in a bottle with "Are you gonna be my girl."

Wolfmother is a lot more musically solid, and their album is deep. Their style blueprint is late-60s Brit Rock, whereas Jet's just another knockoff punk band.

I got the new Jet CD. Yawn.

From all I have heard from people "in the know", Wolfmother is an album made by studio musicians. Supposedly that guitarist is TERRIBLE, and this has been backed up by recent TV apprearances. Shame, if true, as I like much of their album.

Anybody know about this new Cat Stevens album?

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Sep 29, 2006 -> 08:28 AM)
I got the new Jet CD. Yawn.

From all I have heard from people "in the know", Wolfmother is an album made by studio musicians. Supposedly that guitarist is TERRIBLE, and this has been backed up by recent TV apprearances. Shame, if true, as I like much of their album.

Anybody know about this new Cat Stevens album?

Two birds with one stone.

I saw Wolf Mother at Lolla and they were solid. Like I said, let's see what theeir next effort brings us

I also saw the Go! Team and they were awful.

I was at an event last night and Peter Cetera was there (don't ask). Anyway, he was wearing a Sox cap, so I approached him. Turns out he's a huge Sox fan.

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

apparantly if you saw the go! team at intonation it was where you were standing as there were terrible pockets of sound. I thought it was atrocious, but people up front said it sounded fantastic. Considering last year was their first tour ever and its not like that guy ever played with other people before, i'd be willing to see em again.