Sandy Alomar Jr.

DBAHO

From the Southtown,

CLEVELAND — Sandy Alomar Jr. wishes he could say when he'll return from what originally seemed like a minor groin injury — one he suffered against Boston on Aug. 15.

But the veteran White Sox catcher just isn't sure, and he isn't ruling out that his season could be over.

"It's a little more complicated because it involves lateral movement and running and stuff like that," Alomar said Thursday. "I can't get by with a strain in my groin like that, with squatting and stuff like that. It's weak right now. ...

"We are taking it day by day and week by week because I still have five more days on the (disabled list) and we will analyze after that."

If it is an injury that ends Alomar's season, it might also end his stint in a Sox uniform. The one-year, $700,000 deal Alomar inked last offseason as a free agent gives the Sox the club option for 2005.

Whether the team will pick up that option on Alomar, who turned 38 in June, is uncertain.

Adding a free-agent catcher is on general manager Ken Williams' offseason to-do list of priorities, but it doesn't rank high on that list. The Sox will have Ben Davis and Jamie Burke in the mix for next season. However, there is no prized up-and-coming young catcher in the organization.

Alomar is considered by many to be a future major league manager, but he said several times this season that he wasn't ready to take that route just yet.

His latest injury, which put him on the disabled list Aug. 16, marks the 12th time he's been on the DL in his career.

Manager Ozzie Guillen said Alomar's return won't be rushed.

"It's up to him," Guillen said. "The roster expansion is going to come up, and in September he will be on the roster no matter what. How he feels we don't know. I don't know how bad he is."

Alomar was hitting .239 with one home run and 13 RBI before suffering the injury. His primary duties this season were to catch starting pitchers Mark Buehrle and Scott Schoeneweis.

"He's done a pretty good job with us," Guillen added. "He's done a tremendous job on the field and off the field. He catches pretty good games. He had a couple of big hits for us and did what he's supposed to do. I don't think the injury is going to be career-ending — hopefully not. He still has one or two years left."

When one door closes, another opens. It does seem to be getting to a point for him that he should be calling it a career, but once that door does close, I hope the Sox open a coaching door for him.

:cheers to Sandy!

Edited by Queen Prawn

I think his career was a mild disappointment. Two time minor league POY. Came up as a rookie and won ROY AND his only gold glove. Had the major knee injury and then tons of injuries thereafter. Never had 500 AB's in a season. Showed what kind of talent he had in 1997 when he hit .324 and 21 homers. Lifetime OPS+ of 89.

Maybe he didn't reach his ultimate potential, but catcher is a tough gig. Plus, look at some of the other catchers that stay around even though an aspect of their game isn't so good...Joe Girardi, Brad Ausmus, Mike Matheny, Brook Fordyce, Mike Piazza. All of these catchers are good at one thing or another...offense, defense or in Girardi's and Sandy's case...extra bench coach.

When one door closes, another opens.  It does seem to be getting to a point for him that he should be calling it a career, but once that door does close, I hope the Sox open a coaching door for him.

:cheers to Sandy!

Couldn't have said it any better myself. To Sandy. :cheers :cheers :drink

gotta give the guy his props, he was a helluva guy to have around. I could see him being a manager somewhere in the majors, hopefully here when Ozzie's gone, cuz he really knows the game and I think he'd be a great one. If not that... then maybe sumthing in the bullpen... coach or catcher...

Sandy was a hell of a player during his career. I too think it is over though.

As for a position he could take...he could probably be a scout of some type, perhaps someone who works with young pitchers and catchers, or even take over as a minor league manager or at the very least take over as a minor league coach for one of our lower levels.

I agree that Sandy could be a valuable addition to any coaching staff. However, is anyone else worried that Ozzie stated he could have a few good years left? Hopefully this was just to be nice, and not how the organization really feels. Nothing against Sandy, but he better not be playing for the Sox on the field next year.

I live in the KC area.

When Sandy hit the homer on opening day vs. the

Royals, which was a nice shot to left, I said,

"that will be the last homer he hits this season."

I believe he has one home run.

I don't seek an award for this, but Sandy

simply cannot hit anymore.

Oz should immediately add him to the

coaching staff, however.

I would like to see Sandy as the bench coach. That would allow Harold Baines to nap in peace without any distractions.

Plus, as a former catcher, he has knowledge of and a good feel for opposing hitters and their tendencies. He'll probably end up as a manager in the minors, which might be a smart move in case Ozzie's canned in the future.