Esteban Loaiza

SuperSteve

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be happy to see loaiza back in a sox uniform...he was a two time all star for us in 2 years and a rotation with garcia,buerhle,contreares,loaizia, and garland would sure be a tough one to beat....

No, loaiza is back to his old form, maybe even worse.

I would be happy to see loaiza back in a sox uniform...he was a two time all star for us in 2 years and a rotation with garcia,buerhle,contreares,loaizia, and garland would sure be a tough one to beat....

I thought I just told you over AIM.... Loaiza is DONE!.. We need to add a pitcher in FA along the calibur of Pavano or Clement

Why the love affair with former Sox players? Loaiza does not belong in the Sox rotation, now or in the future. HE was traded for a reason.....

Wonder what we could have got for him last off season?

This is exactly the reason I think the Sox should seriously consider trading Shingo this offseason. He is a 1 inning pitcher. He is 35 years old. Its very possible the league catches up to him next year, maybe not, Doug Jones had a pretty good career throwing frisbees, but 40 innings per season is all Shingo has been used the last 6 or 7 years. If Shingo falters as a closer, using him for multiple innings doesn't appear to be an option. His salary goes up to $2.5 million next year, expecting him to be as good as this year would be unfair.

This is exactly the reason I think the Sox should seriously consider trading Shingo this offseason. He is a 1 inning pitcher. He is 35 years old. Its very possible the league catches up to him next year, maybe not, Doug Jones had a pretty good career throwing frisbees, but 40 innings per season is all Shingo has been used the last 6 or 7 years. If Shingo falters as a closer, using him for multiple innings doesn't appear to be an option. His salary goes up to $2.5 million next year, expecting him to be as good as this year would be unfair.

what?????

You need a guy in relief to be a junk ball pitcher. 2.5 is normal for a good setup man, let alone a closer. Having him and Marte, and Politte, next year is key. Have all that change of speeds. Hopefully, Marte will pitch better next year. But keep SHINGO...

In case you missed this, I'll repost it. It's what Don Cooper had to say about Loaiza after the trade was made:

Esteban was throwing about 60-70 breaking pitches a game, including his cutter, and I think that Esteban has a worn-out and tired arm, since he was throwing so many breaking pitches. Plus, you have to remember that he had pitched way more innings than he ever had before. That's probably the main reason his velocity and command was much worse this time around than it was last year. I really feel that Loaiza has probably pitched his best last year. "

He's done as a MLB starter, IMO. He'll probably become a valuable asset to some team who needs a long reliever/spot starter, but I think we witnessed the best year he'll ever have. His career statistics speak for themselves. Either way, I raise my glass to him for having his best season as a Sox player.

:cheers :drink

I thought I just told you over AIM.... Loaiza is DONE!.. We need to add a pitcher in FA along the calibur of Pavano or Clement

I totally agree. We traded him for a reason and it was total rapage inflicted on the Spankees by KW. Let's spend some of that cash we're gonna save not having Botch or Valentin's albatross contracts and get us one more quality starter to round out the rotation.

In case you missed this, I'll repost it.  It's what Don Cooper had to say about Loaiza after the trade was made:

Esteban was throwing about 60-70 breaking pitches a game, including his cutter, and I think that Esteban has a worn-out and tired arm, since he was throwing so many breaking pitches.  Plus, you have to remember that he had pitched way more innings than he ever had before. That's probably the main reason his velocity and command was much worse this time around than it was last year. I really feel that Loaiza has probably pitched his best last year. "

He's done as a MLB starter, IMO.  He'll probably become a valuable asset to some team who needs a long reliever/spot starter, but I think we witnessed the best year he'll ever have.  His career statistics speak for themselves.  Either way, I raise my glass to him for having his best season as a Sox player.

:cheers  :drink

This is why ML scouts, pitching coaches and trainers get the big bucks - to indentify the exact cause of the velocity and control drop-off, and provided it's not injury-related, to come up with ways to fix it.

If Cooper and Co. are not BSing us (which they probably are), then see if Loaiza can come to pre-ST showcase fresh, arm strenght built back up and ready to once again sling 93-94 mph fastballs and 89 mph cutters, with sharp command of his slider and change - as he did in '03. Then sign him.

Unless, of course something is structurally wrong with his elbow/shouder.....

One time deserved All-Star, one time to give Torre a chance to Scout him up close and personal. No way he deserved a spot ahead of Buerhle.

What is even more fun is George is writting JR a check each of the next two years. They have nothing but salary.

Steinbrenner has to be pissed about E Lo right now.

All this misguided gloating over swindling the Evil Empire cannot possibly end well. Karma. Instead of thanking our lucky stars that Contreras has a healthy (knock on wood) arm and might just give the Sox a tremendeous boost in the next 2 years, people are dancing in the streets essentially over the fact that Loaiza busted up his arm trying to carry the 2003 team into post-season and is unable to give the Yankees equitable value.

Yankees, Steinbrenner, Cahsman. Torre will once again make the World Series this year. They might win it all. Where will Kenny "Great Swindler" Williams and the Sox be? I thought so.

This is why ML scouts, pitching coaches and trainers get the big bucks - to indentify the exact cause of the velocity and control drop-off, and provided it's not injury-related, to come up with ways to fix it.

If Cooper and Co. are not BSing us (which they probably are), then see if Loaiza can come to pre-ST showcase fresh, arm strenght built back up and ready to once again sling 93-94 mph fastballs and 89 mph cutters, with sharp command of his slider and change -  as he did in '03.  Then sign him.

Unless, of course something is structurally wrong with his elbow/shouder.....

I don't think he's going to come just to be showcased. SOmeone is going to give him some decent money for a year and two, just hoping he can turn things around and get his velocity back up. I bet he still gets 3-4 mill a year and in my opinion, I'd rather see the Sox spend 4 mill more and get one of the 8 mill a year starters and then do a little work on the pen and then of course add a leadoff hitter or two.

All this misguided gloating over swindling the Evil Empire cannot possibly end well. Karma. Instead of thanking our lucky stars that Contreras has a healthy (knock on wood) arm and might just give the Sox a tremendeous boost in the next 2 years, people are dancing in the streets over the fact Loaiza busted up his arm trying to carry the 2003 team into the post-season.

Yankees, Steinbrenner, Cahsman. Torre will once again make the World Series this year. They might win it all. Where will Kenny "Great Swindler" Williams and the Sox be? I thought so.

Very touching indeed....Anyways I'm not a Yankee hater, I'm just saying the Yankees probably aren't happy about Loaiza's performance and rightfully so, he's been terrible. We weren't happy with him when he was with the Sox.

Very touching indeed....Anyways I'm not a Yankee hater, I'm just saying the Yankees probably aren't happy about Loaiza's performance and rightfully so, he's been terrible. We weren't happy with him when he was with the Sox.

Regardless of the fact, this was a good deal by the Yanks. Jose wasn't going to be sucessful with them and they freed up a large portion of salary for the next two years. Now its not like the Yanks need to free up payroll, but its still a wise business move.