Is re-signing Jose really that bad of an Idea?

JDsDirtySox

As I sit here watching the game and thinking about this coming offseason and free agency, I can't help but ask myself...

Is re-signing Jose Valentin at a reduced price really that bad of an idea?

Sure we will have Juan Uribe, and even Wilson Valdez to possibly take their shot at short, but many teams besides us are gonna be in the market for a SS.

Off the top of my head..

Boston, St. Louis, Chicago(N), Seattle, Cincy, Colorado, and even Cleveland will all have openings to fill at SS. Cleveland will go with their guy Perralta in AAA, but I think everyone else will be at work in Free Agecy.

I don't wanna get stuck with Royce Clayton again.

So how about it... Re-sign Jose or Take your chances with Uribe or FA?

Better Uribe. He can hit for power, has a decent average and wont strike out 150 times a season.

I'd keep Jose, our bench is weak. He'd be a great guy to come off the bench.

I'd love to get someone like Renteria (Nomar?) as our starting SS, Jose backing him up.

BTW...I just read this morning that Mike Lowell (3B) will probably be available as a FA after this season...put him on the Wish List.

I'd keep Jose, our bench is weak. He'd be a great guy to come off the bench.

I'd love to get someone like Renteria (Nomar?) as our starting SS, Jose backing him up.

BTW...I just read this morning that Mike Lowell (3B) will probably be available as a FA after this season...put him on the Wish List.

I guarantee you Jose will NOT come back as a bench player, he believes he's a starter in this league and compared to some of the other SS starting around the league, he's probably got good reason. If we go down a different path at SS, some team like the Red Sox or Blue Jays will sign him to a $3 to $4mill deal.

Forget about Lowell, he's making $7.5 million this season, and he'll probably get a raise on that in the open market if some team is desperate enough for a power guy at 3rd, however Beltre and Glaus will also be FA's so it'll be interesting to see what type of contract he gets if he does void his contract because they don't build a new stadium.

I can't imagine that fans of other teams think Jose is nearly as s***ty as most Sox fans seem to think he is.  An OPS of .790, 5 straight years of 25+ dongs, a solid glove, a moustache, a clubhouse leader.... many of the teams looking for a SS this offseason would probably be happy to have Hose fall in their laps at 2.5 mil. 

KW should schnag a high OBP, contact hitting right fielder this offseason and keep Jose at short.  Then trade Crede and put Juan at 3rd.

You must think Dave Kingman belongs in the Hall of Fame. I think KW has finally tired of Jose's inconsistency. I doubt he'll be back at any price. Uribe is 24 or 25 years old, so improvement at the plate is not unheard of. Jose's average has declined each season he has been with the White Sox, that trend probably would continue. Vizquel on a 2 year deal sounds good to me. Maybe during that 2 years, Uribe becomes more consistent, he is potentially just as good of homerun guy as Jose, and a gifted fielder, opening up the job for him upon Vizquel's retirement.

One thing to keep in mind if you are going to say Uribe is not good with the glove, is this guy has bounced around from 3B to SS to 2B all season. He hasn't played 1 position consistently. To expect him to really excel, would be unrealistic. Look at all the slack people were going to give ARod just for moving over 15 feet, and that was playing 1 position consistently everyday. Remember all the complaining Jose did when he was playing 3b and CF. Despite it all, Uribe has done a good job with the glove, and is a lot of fun, at least for me, to watch. I wouldn't put my eggs all in one basket for him, but potentially, he is an All Star, something Jose is not.

The Sox are gonna have money to spend...the Comcast contract, increased attendance/revenues, etc.

Ownership has to decide whether or not the Sox are going to be serious WS contenders, or just a "cash-cow". If Reinsdorf et.al. is serious about trying to win a WS, it's "put up or shut up" time. There are going to be some quality free agents available who can put this team into SERIOUS contention, but, it will probably mean that the payroll will have to approach, if not surpass, the $100 million mark.

We can't keep playing the "small market team in a big market" game...it's time to step up.

a solid glove

Yeah, solid stone.

Other teams' fans don't see him every day doing the frustrating things he does, either. Some players look better on paper than they do when you have to watch them swing at sliders in the dirt every day.

Jose at 5 million bucks = no thank you

Jose at 1-3 million bucks = okay, if the Sox can't get anyone else

I like the Counsell idea, too, for the record.

I guarantee you Jose will NOT come back as a bench player, he believes he's a starter in this league and compared to some of the other SS starting around the league, he's probably got good reason. If we go down a different path at SS, some team like the Red Sox or Blue Jays will sign him to a $3 to $4mill deal.

Forget about Lowell, he's making $7.5 million this season, and he'll probably get a raise on that in the open market if some team is desperate enough for a power guy at 3rd, however Beltre and Glaus will also be FA's so it'll be interesting to see what type of contract he gets if he does void his contract because they don't build a new stadium.

You are probably correct about Jose not wanting to return as a utility guy, but that is the only capacity I would want to see him in.

Jose helped us get to the playoffs and he has brought a lot of character to this team, however I feel it is time to say to Jose good bye and thanks for the memories.

I can't imagine that fans of other teams think Jose is nearly as s***ty as most Sox fans seem to think he is.  An OPS of .790, 5 straight years of 25+ dongs, a solid glove, a moustache, a clubhouse leader.... many of the teams looking for a SS this offseason would probably be happy to have Hose fall in their laps at 2.5 mil. 

KW should schnag a high OBP, contact hitting right fielder this offseason and keep Jose at short.  Then trade Crede and put Juan at 3rd.

I agree with almost everything you say here. Only difference being, I'd rather keep Jose and platoon him with Uribe at ss, and sign a free agent 3b. I like Jose, but not against lhp, no way.

Jose's overall numbers would not be nearly so horrific if he played less against lhp.

Jose has always been a big strikeout player. Somehow he managed to put the ball in play once he was traded to us. As time has gone on, it seems like he swings for the fences more and more and smiles away after every single wasted at bat. HR's are the only thing that matter to him, atleast thats the way it looks when he smiles going back to the dugout after another K or a popout. He seems pleased with himself for the 26+ homers, like he has done his job for the season. Not that I'm angry with him or anything, nope, of course not.

I'm on the vizquel at ss bandwagon. Let uribe start the year at 2b, have willie start on the bench and vizquel and uribe up the middle is one heck of a defensive middle infield, then having aaron leadoff and vizquel bat 2nd is also a very, very good top of the order.

Yes.

Reason Number 1:

This Team Does Not need more power.

Reason Number 2:

This Team does not need someone that could potentially strike out 200 times next year

Reason Number 3:

This team needs some average/obp guys, Jose is definately not one of them

Counterpoint 1:

Jose is a lefty...well I don't give a damn cause he doesn't fit into what this team needs and thats a guy or two at the top of the order that can get on base and what not .

The last thing this team needs is to get lefty hitters just to get lefty hitters. We are already bad enough against left-handed starters. We will have a big improvement next year, just by having Frank in the lineup. But still no need to look for left handed hitters specifically. Just get me someone that can get on base and make things happen.

I haven't read through this thread yet but if we reisgn Jose I am gonna be one pissed dude.

I am so sick of all his K's and E's. My god I was sure Lawton was gonna homer last night to tie it after Jose's error.

But Jose's errors are never costly!

You know that Jose is frustrated and embarassed with his level of play this year as far as batting is concerned. But, he still has 26 homers. He has done reasonably well in the field except for the last couple of months and everyone has been playing badly not just Jose. I think this lefty all the time hitting may have something to do with screwing up Jose also. Jose will be a positive member of the team next year, ig we re-sign him. I am all for it.

You know that Jose is frustrated and embarassed with his level of play this year as far as batting is concerned. But, he still has 26 homers. He has done reasonably well in the field except for the last couple of months and everyone has been playing badly not just Jose. I think this lefty all the time hitting may have something to do with screwing up Jose also. Jose will be a positive member of the team next year, ig we re-sign him. I am all for it.

Who gives a s*** again that he has 26 home runs. You would of loved Rob Deer he hit his share of home runs but he couldnt field and he couldnt hit for average. Get over the value of the long ball. We have seen how having a group of home run hitters has done for us over the last few years. Hitting lefties as a lefty is only one of his problems, he cant hit righties either. He has 117K in 379AB that is 30% of the time he Ks or if you look at his average. He is done, time to get someone else. If anyone really wants to fix this thing, Jose Valentin is the posterchild for whats wrong with the sox over the last few years. No defense, homer or nothing.

Mike Jackson I am sure is a great leader but he cant pitch either.