Sounds like a plan to me

YASNY

Let's get to reconstructing the Sox

Thursday, November 4, 2004

To: General manager Ken Williams

Re: Offseason to-do list

Move home plate back at U.S. Cellular Field.

The current dimensions at The Cell appear to be fair, but whether because of favorable winds or so many fat pitches, the ballpark plays much smaller than it really is. Even ordinary hitters have turned the place into Cape Canaveral North the last few seasons.

Heads up! I think Bobby Higginson just hit another home run!

Because of the configuration of the ballpark, the outfield fence cannot be moved back. Why not move back home plate then? Trust me, head groundskeeper Roger Bossard will figure it out.

The truth is, the left-field fence has to be moved to the northbound lanes of the Dan Ryan Expressway to make a significant difference. How many cheapies do you see launched at The Cell as it is? But even a few feet can do wonders for the mental state of abused Sox pitchers, and musclemen such as Carlos Lee and Frank Thomas won't be affected much, if at all.

Funny that one of the best offseason moves the Sox can make also is the least expensive, isn't it?

Trade Paul Konerko for a quality arm and a stud prospect.

The Sox have put a front-line pitcher at the top of their offseason wish list, Randy Johnson in particular. Trouble is, the Big Unit won't waive his no-trade clause unless he is headed to a sure contender. Even if the Sox have enough to offer the Arizona Diamondbacks in a package deal, the New York Yankee$ and the St. Louis Cardinals are in far better position to get Johnson.

Among free-agent pitchers, Carl Pavano is the best combination of age and ability at this time. Except that Pavano prefers to remain in a pitcher-friendly ballpark in the National League, which means the Sox are out of luck. Derek Lowe, Kevin Millwood and Eric Milton are other possibilities in the open market, but the price for Lowe has gone up considerably in the last month, Millwood has a history of arm problems and Milton was the National League leader in big flies allowed.

Enter Konerko.

For sure, it won't be easy to part with Konerko, a fan favorite and good clubhouse guy. But Konerko comes off a career season of 41 home runs and 117 RBI, numbers he may not approach again. If ever there is a time to move him, the time is now, especially if a proven starter and a prospect can be had in return.

Last season Ross Gload proved to be more than capable at first base. Thomas can spell him against tough left-handers. What's more, Gload represents a defensive upgrade at the position. And unlike Konerko, it doesn't take an hourglass to time him on the basepaths.

Say goodbye to Magglio Ordonez, hello to J.D. Drew.

Sure, it would be nice to sign Carlos Beltran, but that won't happen now that he is in the $20-million-per-season neighborhood. For four-to-six-million dollars less than the $14 million they paid Ordonez to sit out much of last season, the Sox can probably have Drew, the next best free-agent outfielder available at the moment.

While Ordonez may have maxed out on a bum knee, Drew appears to be headed in the other direction. Last season Drew came into his own as a high-average, high-power, high-on-base guy who can fill the No. 3 spot in the order. Not only that, but Drew would fill an urgent need for a left-handed threat.

An outfield of 28-year-old Carlos Lee in left, 27-year-old Aaron Rowand in center and the 28-year-old Drew in right is the kind the team can build around for years to come. All three are in or near their primes. All three are capable of, say, 25 to 35 home runs and 90 to 120 RBI. And all three are at least above-average defensively.

Who knows? A Lee-Rowand-Drew outfield could turn out to be the best in team history. Next to "No Neck" Williams, Bill Voss and Buddy Bradford, of course.

Forget Jose Valentin, sign Omar Vizquel. Now that he can't hit left-handers even with an oar, Valentin is no longer an everyday player. The free agent also is a bad fit for the speed-and-defense game that manager Ozzie Guillen wants to play in the future. For less money, the team could have Vizquel, a much-needed table-setter who would solidify the up-the-middle defense.

Get this: The guy can actually bunt!

The Boston Red Sox and Seattle Mariners may join the Vizquel hunt, but if Guillen can't convince his fellow countryman to come to the South Side, then what good is he?

And nowwwww, the starting lineup for your 2005 West Division champion Chicago White Sox ...

Vizquel, shortstop.

Rowand, center field.

Drew, right field.

Thomas, designated hitter.

Lee, left field.

Gload, first base.

Juan Uribe, second base.

Joe Crede, third base.

Ben Davis, catcher.

Steal the checkbook of Yankee$ owner George Steinbrenner, tie it to a very large rock and throw it into the Hudson River.

Do the same to that of Boston Red Sox owner John Henry, into the Charles River.

An outfield of 28-year-old Carlos Lee in left, 27-year-old Aaron Rowand in center and the 28-year-old Drew in right is the kind the team can build around for years to come. All three are in or near their primes. All three are capable of, say, 25 to 35 home runs and 90 to 120 RBI. And all three are at least above-average defensively.

Where does this leave Sweeney and Anderson though? I would say they'd be tradebait with this scenario. Could come back to bite us in the ass, but at the same time, live in the now, I think all three of those guys listed in the article would be more productive at least this season, and probably for the next few.

Yea i don't like it!! Omg you guys know how much i want Paul to stay here! And I say that Timo Perez becomes our right fielder, since we can't have Magglio! I mean he's good! Better then Borchard! and Willie Harris so needs to be the starting second baseman, and since Jose is probally leaving, then Juan Uribe can play short! he's good! and Crede stays at 3rd! and Paul plays 1st!!

Yea i don't like it!! Omg you guys know how much i want Paul to stay here! And I say that Timo Perez becomes our right fielder, since we can't have Magglio! I mean he's good! Better then Borchard! and Willie Harris so needs to be the starting second baseman, and since Jose is probally leaving, then Juan Uribe can play short! he's good! and Crede stays at 3rd! and Paul plays 1st!!

I'm becoming increasingly conviced that this is Brando with a well played dose of sarcasm. ;)

Umm, where does he figure that Drew is gonna get 8 million a year.  As far as I'm concerned the Braves would so lock him up if thats the offer he got.  He'll more likely get 10-11 per season.

From the two braves message boards i have browsed through it seems more and more likely the braves will not resign him. There number one off-season goal is to pick up another starter. I would pay up yo twelve million for drew even though he is an injury risk, because when he is healthy he is an absolute monster. His numbers would most likely increase some if he came here too. :)

we cant afford all this. drew will be at least 8 mil per and vizquel at least 4 mil per. the only way we can afford this is if PK gets trades for a pitcher who makes like 2 mil which is gonna be very hard

we cant afford drew @ 10 mil even and vizquel @ 4? why not?

That was a darn good article again in the southtown.

The writer said:

Vizquel, shortstop.

Rowand, center field.

Drew, right field.

Lee, left field.

Gload, first base.

Juan Uribe, second base.

Joe Crede, third base.

Ben Davis, catcher.

With the pitching staff he suggests that might be a winner,

excpet I don't like the Gload, Uribe, Crede, Davis end

of the order. Those could be four easy outs.

I think either Gload or Ben has to be replaced in that

foursome with somebody we're sure can hit and drive in runs.

He convinced me about Drew, though.

Juan hit .283 23 74 .833 this year...and you're not confident in him?

Yet you are confident in Paul Konerko, who hit .239 on the road?

Paul Konerko's splits...

Home: .317 29 70 1.079

Road: .239 12 47 .708

If only we played all 162 games at USCF, then we'd be in buisness! :headshake

The writer said:

Vizquel, shortstop.

Rowand, center field.

Drew, right field.

Lee, left field.

Gload, first base.

Juan Uribe, second base.

Joe Crede, third base.

Ben Davis, catcher.

What gload has done through out the minors and the majors shows no indication of being an ''easy out''.

Gload has proved he can hit major league pitching. He's not a slugger but he's a good, amsrt hitter that will situationally hit to help his ball team. Uribe is not an easy out and with maturity should be able to shorten those slumps he occasionally falls into.

yeah if gload plays a whole year i have 100% confidence that he will at least hit .275.... on a side note anyone remember when gload hit that pitch against the angels that was like in and up i think against ramon ortiz and gload hit it over eiksteins head... that shows the man can hit :headbang

The writer said:

Vizquel, shortstop.

Rowand, center field.

Drew, right field.

Lee, left field.

Gload, first base.

Juan Uribe, second base.

Joe Crede, third base.

Ben Davis, catcher.

who is the pitcher we are trading Paulie for?

Do you folks really like the bottom four in that

order the Southtown suggested?

You really think we can win the division with those four down

there?

Can't you picture games where we are mowed down?

I still can't believe some anti Konerko sentiment when the guy

was second in the league in hrs.

I realize his numbers on the road were worse, but he

was second in the league in hrs.

How can anybody take that for granted?

It's not like he had a Jose V. type year.

Pitching and defense may win games, but our projected

rotation right now is not exactly unhittable when you

look at our individual ERAs from last year.

Jon - not unhittable

Jose C - not unhittable though sometimes dominant

Fred - pretty solid to outstanding most of time.

Mark B - pretty solid to outstanding most of time.

Fifth starter - who do we get for Paulie?

relief - set up men were not good.

closer - love Zero but will the league get used to his slow stuff?

Paulie rocks.

Do you folks really like the bottom four in that

order the Southtown suggested?

You really think we can win the division with those four down

there?

Can't you picture games where we are mowed down?

Uribe can be an easy out at times, but over a full year he is far from an easy out. How exactly is gload an easy out? People say that but i don't know how they get that.

Also we would get much more than just a fifth starter for konerko.