Randy Johnson Trade Rumors

EvilJester99

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

why plus 1?  That's pretty much what the D'backs wanted.

Correct.

For Johnson, Diamondbacks were seeking the following from the White Sox:

Not only would the Sox have been required to pay Johnson's $17 million salary in 2005, but the Diamondbacks reportedly wanted pitchers Jon Garland and Damaso Marte, a starting outfielder (likely Aaron Rowand or newly acquired Scott Podsednik), minor-league outfielder Ryan Sweeney (recently voted the team's second-best prospect) and possibly another prospect.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sports/cst-spt-randy17.html

Brad Penny:

G GS CG  SHO IP    H    R ER HR BB SO    W    L    SV HLD BLSV ERA

134 133 2 2 793.1 776 389 355 79 265 576 49 44 0 0 -- 4.03

Jon Garland:

G GS CG  SHO IP    H    R ER HR BB SO    W    L    SV HLD BLSV ERA

149 127 2 1 788.0 804 451 410 111 328 436 46 51 1 3 0 4.68

Neither one is outstanding...if you put Penny in the AL or Garland in the NL, their numbers would be even closer.

Garland will never have a 3.69 era in the national league with over 200 innings pitched. I also doubt he would have a 3.15 era in 143 innings. Just my opinion though.

I don't know if this was posted in the previous pages. I don't feel like reading that long of a list, but what number do you all think Johnson will wear since Bernie Williams wears #51? He's been a life long Yankee so I doubt he'll give it up.

There seems to be some snags in the trade, although he probably will end up with the Yankees. I have no idea what number he will be, but I'd bet it won't be 51.

I don't think Everett is as valuable to them as Shawn Green, nor is Jon Garland equal to Brad Penny.

Everett isn't better than Green, but Marte is much better than Brazoban. So what you lose in one player, you gain in another. Although, Green isn't as good as he once was, he could rejuvenate his career, but so could Everett, he's only 33 or 34. They still get a decent starter, and excellent reliever that could close for them and a serviceable OF.

They've already set their table if that's what they were going to take from the Dodgers.

what are all you guys worrying about johnson is old and why get him when we can get a younger star who can stay around for ten more years, plus maybe we have got some other dela working with another team that involves giving away garland and whoever? B)

what are all you guys worrying about johnson is old and why get him when we can get a younger star who can stay around for ten more years, plus maybe we have got some other dela working with another team that involves giving away garland and whoever?  B)

I hope you are right...

but Marte is much better than Brazoban.

I don't think that is a fair thing to say since brazpban has the advantage and no one has seen him before. Marte's bad year is still a good year for just about every reliever in baseball. Also it is rare to find a left handed power picher that usually has good control. Though last year he had a stretch were he got a little crazy. In the sporting news they had him the 2nd best reliever in baseball behind *gulp* farnsworth. I doubt he drops farther down then tenth after this year.

At this point -- If I were KW I would show interest, but only for a short list of players/prospects. Whether we become one of the three teams involved or the fourth team to close the deal, I feel ARZ and NY are in a bind to get a deal done. Offer LA the following Crede-Everett-Garland-and either Borchard/Diaz/Lopez. We get Vazquez,sign a cheap 5th starter like El Duque as insurance, sign AJ, sign Hairston next week and investigate a trade with Toronto for Hinske.

Pod-AROW-Thomas-Konerko-Dye-Hinske-AJ-Uribe-Hairston

Garcia-Burhle-Vazquez-Contreras- El D/Cotts/Grilli as 5th starter

what are all you guys worrying about johnson is old and why get him when we can get a younger star who can stay around for ten more years, plus maybe we have got some other dela working with another team that involves giving away garland and whoever?  B)

LOL!!! We'll be keeping a pitcher for ten years? I'm dying to know who our new owner is. :lol:

Johnson is 41 makes 14 mil, and would take half our team to get him.  Why the f*** are we sweating this guy.

2.60 ERA

.197 BAA

0.90 WHIP

10.62 K/9

290 K's

245 2/3 IP

1 HR given up every 13 2/3 innings

1 BB given up every 5 2/3 innings

.750 quality start percentage

Unless he's undergoing a complete loss of talent this offseason, those stats are definitely something to "sweat" about. Look what Santana did to Minnesota. Randy could do that for us.

2.60 ERA

.197 BAA

10.62 K/9

290 K's

245 2/3 IP

Unless he's undergoing a complete loss of talent this offseason, those stats are definitely something to "sweat" about.  Look what Santana did to Minnesota.  Randy could do that for us.

Stats are overrated :drink

2.60 ERA

.197 BAA

0.90 WHIP 

10.62 K/9

290 K's

245 2/3 IP

Unless he's undergoing a complete loss of talent this offseason, those stats are definitely something to "sweat" about.  Look what Santana did to Minnesota.  Randy could do that for us.

So what, still doesnt make up for the loss we will take

i would rather us sign Perez

Big Unit blockbuster evolving into 10-player deal

Posted: Saturday December 18, 2004 6:41PM; Updated: Saturday December 18, 2004 6:41PM

NEW YORK (AP) -- The megadeal involving Randy Johnson, Shawn Green and Javier Vazquez grew to 10 players Saturday, with the New York Yankees, Arizona and Los Angeles hoping to present the proposed trade to the commissioner's office soon for approval.

Pitchers Kaz Ishii, Mike Koplove and Brandon Weeden are now part of the swap, a baseball official told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.

The teams were aiming to put the whole deal down on paper this weekend and give it to the commissioner's office perhaps by Monday. The deal needs permission because it involves more than $1 million -- as it stands, the Yankees would pay $2 million of Ishii's contract.

Plus, there might be a spinoff to the deal. There's speculation the Dodgers might get Vazquez from the Yankees and then trade the pitcher to the Chicago White Sox.

Johnson remains the centerpiece of the trade, with the Yankees trying to get the five-time Cy Young winner from Arizona. New York also would acquire Ishii, a left-hander who went 13-8 with a 4.71 ERA for Los Angeles last season.

Johnson has a no-trade clause, but wants to play for the Yankees. Green also has a no-trade provision, and the Dodgers outfielder has not yet waived it to play for Arizona.

The Diamondbacks might be able to get Green to come to the desert, though -- his former agent, Jeff Moorad, is Arizona's new chief executive officer.

If the deal goes to the commissioner's office, the Yankees plan to ask for a 72-hour window to negotiate a contract extension with Johnson. The 41-year-old lefty is owed $16 million in the last year of his contract.

Green might use that same time frame to see if he can work an extension with the Diamondbacks. He is set to make $16 million in 2005, after slumping this past season to .266 with 28 home runs and 86 RBIs.

Both the Diamondbacks and Dodgers would receive four players in the trade, while the Yankees would get a pair of pitchers.

Koplove, who went 4-4 with a 4.05 ERA in 76 relief appearances with Arizona, would go to Los Angeles with Vazquez. The Dodgers also would get two top prospects from the Yankees, catcher Dioner Navarro and third baseman Eric Duncan.

Arizona would wind up with Green and pitchers Brad Penny, Yhency Brazoban and Weeden. All of them played in the Dodgers' system last season.

Weeden was the Yankees' top draft pick in 2002 and was traded to Los Angeles with Jeff Weaver in last winter's trade that sent Kevin Brown to New York.

Copyright 2004 Associated Press