The Vazquez "Auction" Begins

beck72

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Konerko and Garland or Contreras for Vazquez is insanity.

But I wonder if PK has asked to go to Arizona. Grew up there. Lived there. That might factor into the equation.

If Konerko is dealt as part of the package, Arizona would have to give us more than Vazquez in return.

I'm not real familiar with their inventory, but a middle infielder would be nice.

they got some very promising pitchers and of'ers in the lower part of their systems. some of which i would ask for. that is if paulie, cont, and let anderson is in the deal.

I know when the Vazquez for PK/Marte and/or Garland rumors were out, Sox quashed them publicly... did KW ever directly say "No trade of PK unless we have another power guy set?" Because i don't think signing AJ would be the offense he would be talking about.... so I imagine AZ might want PK, but hopefully KW won't do it unless he has a 30-40 homer guy signed...

While I'm leading the 'trade Contreras' faction, does he have a no-trade clause? I know he waived it to come to the Sox. But does he still have it? He seems like a stand up guy, who might waive it ['I didn't want to stay where I wasn't wanted' about leaving NY]

I would imagine so.

Kevin Brown had to waive his no trade clause to come to the Yankees, and now the reports are that the Yanks will have a hard time trading him because of his no-trade clause.

i would love to have vasquez, but his price might be too high in both trade value and money. we would not be able to get both aj and iguchi, maybe neither. i would not trade anderson, we cannot lose all our OFs. sweeney would be the only solid one left (borchard sucks). i would try to swing a borchard, diaz, and contreras for vasquez and money to even it out a little. be patient though KW, make them come down a bit. borchard might be appealing to them in center, and he did play for stanford i believe.

While I'm leading the 'trade Contreras' faction, does he have a no-trade clause? I know he waived it to come to the Sox. But does he still have it? He seems like a stand up guy, who might waive it ['I didn't want to stay where I wasn't wanted' about leaving NY]

As an under 6 yr player I don't believe he is allowed a no trade contract.

I think Kenny stays away from this one. He may show some mild interest, but he has clearly shown he has his mind set on a middle infielder and AJP.

I think the chances of Vazquez on the Southside are slim to none. Hell, I don't want him considering what we would lose to snag him. I'm rather happy with off-season aquisitions thus far.

Vazquez will be in Baltimore when it is all said and done.

The only way I would take Vazquez is if the Dbacks took Contreras and Everett, if thats not enough for them they could have Borchard too. Any more than that and its not worth it IMO.

Wow! How could Arizona turn down an offer like that?

Upnorthsox, Jose Contreras had to waive his no-trade clause at the last minute to come here last offseason. He mad the comment along the lines "If you don't want me in your house, I'll leave."

Contreras isn't going anywhere.

I don't see Contreras getting traded unless it brings a Burnett or Hudson or Mulder. I think Ozzie and KW like his electric stuff too much to trade him whereas Garland doesn't really have any electric stuff at all. Vazquez can only demand a trade after this upcoming season I believe(which is why he threatened he would leave the Dodgers after next year if they traded for him). I honestly don't see Vazquez in a Sox uniform next year, even though I wish we did get him.

I don't see Contreras getting traded unless it brings a Burnett or Hudson or Mulder. I think Ozzie and KW like his electric stuff too much to trade him whereas Garland doesn't really have any electric stuff at all. Vazquez can only demand a trade after this upcoming season I believe(which is why he threatened he would leave the Dodgers after next year if they traded for him). I honestly don't see Vazquez in a Sox uniform next year, even though I wish we did get him.

Let's hope Arizona has the same thinking as you about Contreras.

Let's hope Arizona has the same thinking as you about Contreras.

I don't know if that's a complement or not, but i'll take it as both a jab and a complement. Anyway, what I'm saying is, he's a hard thrower with some great pitches. He needs to utilize the pitches and stop tipping them and he'll be all set. Garland is more of a headcase as we don't know what the hell he's doing. At least we know(based on JC's career) that he could beat the cheap teams of the league such as the Royals, Tigers, Devil Rays, aka teams that the Sox seem to letdown against and usually lose to.

I think Hudson and Mulder might be off the trade block now.

Even though I do like Contreras it would obviously be a great deal if we traded Jose for Javier, however I'd rather keep Jose and get aj. I honestly think our rotation is going to be very, very good this year and add aj to that offense and we'd have a team that could compete with anyone, no joke.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather steer clear of this whole situation. If Arizona's starting point for their asking price is Konerko + Contreras/Garland, than that right there is already too much to be giving up.

Losing Konerko would be bad. I know Ozzie/Kenny have been talking about speed and defense over power -- well, the reason we haven't won anything the past couple seasons isn't because we had too much power. Rather, it's because all the power was coming from solo shots, rather than homers with men on base.

If JR is willing to budge just a wee bit more (payroll wise), I'd go after Miguel Cairo and AJ Pierz -- lock up those two to two year deals, maybe a three year for Pierz (he's still fairly young, younger than Ben Davis IIRC), and you have yourself a damn good team heading to Tuscon.

Pods (The Harris/Cairo platoon could leadoff, too, if Podsednik were to struggle)

Rowand

Thomas/Everett

Konerko

Dye

Pierz

Uribe

Crede

Harris/Cairo

The bullpen is awesome, and the starting rotation is light years ahead of what we went into 2004 with... I really think we'd see a lot of consistency from that lineup, and with our pitching staff, that's a really good thing to have.

Wouldn't you consider Vazquez to be an upgrade over Garland or Contreras though? Imagine a rotation of Buerhle, Garcia, Vazuez, Hernandez and Garland 1 to 5. If the price is right, it could help put us over the top in the division.

If there is a package that can ink Vazquez with Jose Contreras being the starting point, I am all for acquiring him. In my opinion, he will come back next season and will be a top ten pitcher in the cy young voting next season.

With that being said, there won't be any deal that involves Jose Contreras and prospects. There just won't. More likely they'd be looking for one of the cheap youngsters such as Rowand or Uribe, two players I am unwilling to give up.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. The Diamondbacks already have an offer on the table for Shawn Green that includes Halsey and Navarro. If that is the sole player they are recieving then I have problems with that deal, but if they can get some other player such as a Hee Seop Choi or something, they could make out real well.

How upset would you be with the White Sox if they traded two of the best pitchers in baseball and recieved Casey Fossum, Brandon Lyon, compensation draft picks for Richie Sexson, and Shawn Green. My guess is Vazquez won't be traded for quite some time. The Vazquez deal will be a trade that will either make or break the Arizona Diamondbacks for the next five-plus years.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.  The Diamondbacks already have an offer on the table for Shawn Green that includes Halsey and Navarro.  If that is the sole player they are recieving then I have problems with that deal, but if they can get some other player such as a Hee Seop Choi or something, they could make out real well.

I believe Halsey is going to be included in the RJ trade.

Here's another thing...and I thought I read something questioning this a while back...but is everybody 100% sure that Vasquez is completely healthy. Didn't I read that somewhere where they were questioning his shoulder or something? I'd give up Garland and Everett...or maybe a mid-prospect (hopefully Borchard) for Vasquez...but I sure would hate to give up Anderson or Sweeney in the deal.

Here's another thing...and I thought I read something questioning this a while back...but is everybody 100% sure that Vasquez is completely healthy.  Didn't I read that somewhere where they were questioning his shoulder or something?  I'd give up Garland and Everett...or maybe a mid-prospect (hopefully Borchard) for Vasquez...but I sure would hate to give up Anderson or Sweeney in the deal.

Garland and Everett? Thanks for playing.