Chicago Tribune

The Beast

Now it seems as though we aren't getting Iguchi.

"Williams also said chances of signing Japan League second baseman Tadahito Iguchi, considered an impact-type player, are slim. The sides are far apart on money for a three-year deal."

"With our signing of Pierzynski, unless the other side gets very creative on the structure of the contract, there would be a very remote possibility you'll see Iguchi in a White Sox uniform," Williams said.

Weird...I thought something was posted what we were close to signing him.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its the sox public negotiating stance. They're forcing Iguchi to accept their offer, come down a little, or they'll move on [to Alex Cora prob].

Iguchi should make a move or he'll be in Japan for another yr, as I don't think another team is willing to take the risk on him the Sox are over 2 yrs. He'll sign if he's smart

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 07:42 AM)
I think its the sox public negotiating stance. They're forcing Iguchi to accept their offer, come down a little, or they'll move on [to Alex Cora prob].

Iguchi should make a move or he'll be in Japan for another yr, as I don't think another team is willing to take the risk on him the Sox are over 2 yrs. He'll sign if he's smart

I agree with you beck. IMO it's the White Sox or he's staying in Japan, they want to know something on his negotations within the next day or two I would assume so if he's out of the question they can move onto Cora or Cairo, jmo.

As I have stated, if it comes down to $300K a year, Kenny would sign Iguchi in a heartbeat. There has to be something else that is causing a delay. After the signing of AJ, Kenny no longer is the underhand. I think it comes down to how much Iguchi wants to play for the Chicago White Sox. If he does, he has to somewhat meet Kenny on the negotiating line.

Still other teams interested in Iguchi according to the Daily Herald;

"There isn't anything close on that front,'' said Sox general manager Kenny Williams. "Yes, we have had an interest. But I think it's remote with (the Pierzynski) move, unless we and the other side get really creative on the structure of the contract.''

According to a report in the Japan Today newspaper, the White Sox offered the 30-year-old Iguchi a two-year, $4 million contract. But Richard Moss, Iguchi's agent, apparently is looking for a deal similar to the three-year, $20.1 million contract shortstop Kaz Matsui signed with the New York Mets last year.

In 2004, Iguchi batted .333 with 24 home runs and 89 RBI for the Fukuoka Daiei Hawks. During eight seasons with the Pacific League club, Iguchi has a .271 average with 149 home runs, 159 stolen bases and 507 RBI.

The White Sox signed closer Shingo Takatsu last winter and were happy with his production. But the right-hander also agreed to a relatively inexpensive contract (two years, $2 million).

The Boston Red Sox, New York Yankees and Seattle Mariners are among the other suitors of Iguchi. Assuming the White Sox don't sign Iguchi, Willie Harris remains their starting second baseman.

But the Sox still have an interest in Alex Cora, who was nontendered by the Los Angeles Dodgers last month.

Cora made $1.3 million in 2004 while batting .264 with 10 home runs and 47 RBI in 138 games. Cora, the younger brother of Sox third-base coach Joey Cora, committed only 8 errors in 612 total chances with the Dodgers last season.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 01:42 PM)

beck I agree with you on this. I think its negotiating again. We all remember that he said we were not going to get AJ. In addition, if ignuchi decides to stay in Japan then we will turn to Cora or cairo. I still think there is a chance. Quite frankly, KW by being unpredictable is becoming quite predictable.

I think a lot of the "other teams are interested" in Iguchi talk is old. Bos, NYY, Sea all have guys set now. Bos and NYY talked early on to Iguchi back in Dec. But I haven' t heard [via newspapers/ rumors, etc] any teams express an interest in Iguchi lately.

If you look at Iguchi's stats prior to his last 2 yrs, he wasn't that good. Is he worth a guaranteed 2, 3 yr deal based on his last two yrs? Maybe. But I don't see many other teams where there is a fit and that's willing to take the risk. Maybe its the position, but 2b is an easier spot to fill this yr [with guys like Cairo, Cora, Polanco via trade, etc all still out there]. So his negotiating power is lower based on who other teams can get

QUOTE(quickman @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 01:50 PM)
beck I agree with you on this. I think its negotiating again. We all remember that he said we were not going to get AJ. In addition, if ignuchi decides to stay in Japan then we will turn to Cora or cairo. I still think there is a chance. Quite frankly, KW by being unpredictable is becoming quite predictable.

I really like the fact that KW filled the most glaring hole at C first. By getting AJ, he puts the pressure on Iguchi's people to make a decision or the sox will pack it in, call on soemone else. It actually increases the likelihood that he can get Iguchi, esp if there aren't other teams he can jump to.

If it pans out like this, the sox will be in a nice position heading into spring.

QUOTE(Sox1422 @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 07:56 AM)
Seems that the Sox still have a little money to play with if they are truly going to have a payroll in the 72-75 million range.  I would think if they reaaly wanted Iguchi they would maybe bump up their offer a million or so.

They might if they have to but Kenny is probably trying to get him at the lowest price possible, he doesn't want to bid against himself and at this point I do think the sox are the only team truely interested so it wouldn't surprise me if Iguchi's agent is trying to get Kenny to do exactly that. We'll see what comes of these negotiations but if Tadahito really wants to play in America he'll be a part of the White Sox, imo.

We are geting conflicting reports on what Iguchi is asking. One report says $2.3M and the other says Kaz Matsui type money. If it's the former, we'll sign him. If it's the latter, we won't. Miguel Cairo would look good in a Sox uni.

QUOTE(Sox1422 @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 05:56 AM)
Seems that the Sox still have a little money to play with if they are truly going to have a payroll in the 72-75 million range.  I would think if they reaaly wanted Iguchi they would maybe bump up their offer a million or so.

The Sox like to make moves at (or even a month or more before) the trade deadline, so they may not necessarily want to "max out" their payroll in January. Granted, if we're playing well and look to be viable contenders, JR might loosen the strings on his purse, but the thinking right now could be to save room for a mid-season acquisition or two, where it's much easier to evaluate where the need for help is. By the trade deadline, we could have 2 of our starters on the DL, so we'd need a starter. We could have Frank out, so we'd need a power hitter.

That said, I hope the Sox stay with what they have now. I think they had an excellent off-season, and I think Willie's play last year was good enough to warrant giving him another season to see how he can improve.

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 09:01 AM)
I think we need somebody who can play SS & 2B, and Iguchi doesn't.  Right now we have no backup SS or 3B(besides Uribe), do we?

I agree. If we are talking about getting someone to start at second, than Iguchi makes some sense, but from a depth standpoint, I'd rather have Cora.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 08:30 AM)
We are geting conflicting reports on what Iguchi is asking.  One report says $2.3M and the other says Kaz Matsui type money.  If it's the former, we'll sign him.  If it's the latter, we won't.  Miguel Cairo would look good in a Sox uni.

I think the $2.3M reports are closer to what he is asking. If they were in fact asking Kaz money, we would have stopped talking. IMHO

I agree, Miguel Cairo would look good in a Sox uni.

iguchi was a shortstop the first half of his career before his arm injury; maybe they figure he can play SS enough to occasionally spell uribe, then spend the rest of his time at 2B. otherwise, i agree with you guys--this leaves us with no backup SS (or room on the roster for wilson valdez [whom i don't think most of us want on the big club anyway]) and isn't the best move.

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 09:01 AM)
I think we need somebody who can play SS & 2B, and Iguchi doesn't.  Right now we have no backup SS or 3B(besides Uribe), do we?

Isn't Burke theoretically the back up 3B? Now that is also clouded.

Ok Bruce Levine is on right now. The update on Ignuchi is this:

1) The numbers in the papers are wrong. He started out wanting 3 years 21 million. then backed down to 3 years 15 million. thats where it is now. The sox want him only for 2 years and offered him 2 years 4 million. Levine said they are willing to negotiate and said the Sox will probably go as high as 3 million per but no third year.

1) The numbers in the papers are wrong. He started out wanting 3 years 21 million.  then backed down to 3 years 15 million. thats where it is now. The sox want him only for 2 years and offered him 2 years 4 million. Levine said they are willing to negotiate and said the Sox will probably go as high as 3 million per  but no third year.

But you think Levine is a shmuck, why would you believe him and not the papers?

QUOTE(quickman @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 11:14 AM)

1) The numbers in the papers are wrong. He started out wanting 3 years 21 million.  then backed down to 3 years 15 million. thats where it is now. The sox want him only for 2 years and offered him 2 years 4 million. Levine said they are willing to negotiate and said the Sox will probably go as high as 3 million per  but no third year.

Do you mean we will go as high as 5 million per year? We are already above 3 million per.