Wow, no respect on Baseball Tonight

FlaCWS

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The name thing bugs me a bit, especially with the previously mentioned Houston incident and the fact that the Giants' park is on at least #4. It was Candlestick, then it was just Giants' Stadium I think, then Pac Bell, then I think it was Monster.com Park, now apparently it is SBC Park. Give me a break, it's not like it's a new creation. There's only a handful of stadiums that still have non-corporate names. And if he honestly didn't know the name of the park, that's even worse. Give me a break, it's been around for a while and that name was there when we HOSTED THE ALL-STAR GAME!!!!!

Sorry to clarify I originally thought of the name Network Associates Coliseum as an example of a bad name. It is actually just called McAfee Coliseum now.

Why did it have to be US Cellular Field? I would take Verizon Field, Cingular Field, Nextel Field, T-Mobile Field, SBC Field, and Comcast Field over the name US Cellular Field just to name a few. Plus I now think of Joan Cusack every time someone mentions it. :o

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 28, 2005 -> 02:05 AM)
:P  :P  :P  :P  :P

Can I just ask one thing for this season? Can we please not have daily threads on BBTN and how they don't have a clue???

ESPN, and especially Baseball Tonight, have always been bandwagon jumpers, and for good reason. There a national TV show, so there telling people who the hot/cold teams are at the time. The Sox haven't made any "sexy" moves this off season(the big FA,big trade) but added a bunch of smaller pieces to the puzzle. BBTN is not for a lot of people on this board, because 90% of us are die hard baseball fans, and that is NOT what BBTN caters to at all. It caters to the casual fan.

Take it for what it's worth. And don't worry, they will hop on the bandwagon come July..... :gosox3:

I think we should just get WHarris1 and soxfun1 and put them on TV and see if they can do better. See if anybody nationwide would watch their asses talk about the Sox and whine about the coverage the Red Sox and Yankees get? I mean, they HAVE to know more than those dumbasses on Baseball Tonight, right?

I watched it too and did find it as a bit of a diss that we weren't even mentioned when they quickly spoke about the ALC, while they were still able to throw in an indians mention...Chicago is the third biggest city in the U.S...

And as far as not knowing the name, it was certainly a diss when you consider it's only been changed once...

Can't you just say Comiskey and move on?

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 28, 2005 -> 01:30 AM)
I think we should just get WHarris1 and soxfun1 and put them on TV and see if they can do better.  See if anybody nationwide would watch their asses talk about the Sox and whine about the coverage the Red Sox and Yankees get?  I mean, they HAVE to know more than those dumbasses on Baseball Tonight, right?

But just how much more info on the Yankees and Red Sox does a baseball fan need? And if that's the case, then just change the name to Baseball Tonight: Yankees/Red Sox special. The real challenge would be to air an episode of BBTN without coverage of those 2 teams. Not gonna happen, but it would be intriguing.

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Feb 28, 2005 -> 01:28 AM)
Sorry to clarify I originally thought of the name Network Associates Coliseum as an example of a bad name.  It is actually just called McAfee Coliseum now.

Why did it have to be US Cellular Field?  I would take Verizon Field, Cingular Field, Nextel Field, T-Mobile Field, SBC Field, and Comcast Field over the name US Cellular Field just to name a few.  Plus I now think of Joan Cusack every time someone mentions it.  :o

Joan Cusack :wub:

Some more ammo here from some esteemed baseball bloggers in Aaron Gleeman, Rich Lederer and Bryan Smith;

Aaron: The obvious opinion is that the division is improving, simply because the Twins figure to be good again and the Indians have a lot of really intriguing young talent. However, what happens if the White Sox decline a bit (which I expect them to do) and the Indians improve -- then isn't the division right back where it has been over the last few years, with the Twins at the top, one other solid-but-unspectacular team in second place, and a mediocre club in third?

Brian: I don't think they're significantly better, but Aaron's point about them never having a good offense is valid. When you have one of the best starting pitchers in the game, that gives you a nice advantage, and I haven't been really impressed with the moves the White Sox and Indians made. El Duque and Kevin Millwood, in my opinion, aren't going to put them over the top.

Aaron: I love that the White Sox are going to try to out-Twin the Twins, because frankly I don't see that happening. I've been watching the Phoenix Suns a lot this NBA season and it is always amusing when opposing teams decide they will try to run and fastbreak with the Suns.

Brian: I'm projecting the White Sox to finish fourth. Paul Konerko can't seem to put together back-to-back solid seasons. Unless Frank Thomas gets back, I don't seem them being in the mix.

Bryan: The problem is that through all these moves, he's put a considerable weight on Aaron Rowand's shoulders, especially while Big Frank sits on the DL. If he falters, this offense might be forced to steal home with runners on third.

Rich: I imagine Thomas would be a considerable weight on anybody's shoulders. As far as Rowand is concerned, put me in the skeptical camp. No way he finishes seventh in slugging this year. He has some talent but his walk-to-strikeout ratio makes me think he could easily lose 30 points off his batting average. I say he winds up under .300, under .350, and under .500 this year.

Bryan: The club is filled with a lot of players that go up and down a lot, with Konerko, Rowand, Jermaine Dye, Jose Contreras, Freddy Garcia...I could go on all day. The ball will have to bounce pretty perfectly for them to take the division.

Aaron: I'd be shocked if they finished lower than third (sorry, Brian), but I don't think they are in better shape now than they were last season.

Aaron: Whatever you think of Willie Harris, the White Sox got a combined .268/.324/.412 out of their second basemen last year, which is reasonable production and not very far off from what I think can be expected of Iguchi.

They also got a combined .256/.315/.414 from right field last year. While Jermaine Dye is a great bet to beat those numbers, I'm not sure that he'll beat them enough to make up for the production lost in the Lee-for-Podsednik swap. Chicago?s leftfielders hit .297/.358/.495 last year, while Podsednik batted .244/.313/.364. Actually, in looking at the numbers, Podsednik did a lot worse than Chicago?s rightfielders in 2004 and Dye isn?t a lock to post an .850 OPS to match their leftfielders, so I?m not sure they are in a better position in the corners at all.

Chicago catchers hit .267/.316/.403 last season, and while Pierzynski and his backups are likely to beat that, I don't think it'll be by a huge amount. Pierzynski himself hit .272/.319/.410, which is nearly identical (though he obviously did it in a far worse park for offense).

Also, you are very optimistic about people and positions being improved in 2005, and perhaps rightfully so in each case, but you don't even mention the possibility of guys like Rowand, Uribe, Gload, and Takatsu regressing/declining. I would say all those guys had career years in 2004, so to say that so many positions will be better without even mentioning that is perhaps misleading. In Rowand?s case, he was arguably the most valuable player on the entire team.

This time around, I'm looking at a White Sox team that made some very solid offseason pickups, but also traded perhaps their best hitter for a slap-hitting speedster and had some career-years from surprising sources. I absolutely think the White Sox can win the AL Central, I just don't think they will.

QUOTE(ChiSoxFan @ Feb 28, 2005 -> 08:09 AM)
But just how much more info on the Yankees and Red Sox does a baseball fan need?  And if that's the case, then just change the name to Baseball Tonight: Yankees/Red Sox special.  The real challenge would be to air an episode of BBTN without coverage of those 2 teams. Not gonna happen, but it would be intriguing.

Why should it happen? There are no two other teams that people care about more than those two. They get the biggest TV ratings, they have the most stars, the highest payroll, etc. etc.

If you are putting together a national show, those two teams have to get a bigger share of the coverage. Ratings would plummet if they spent 30 minutes talking about the White Sox, Brewers, Royals and Padres.

I am not knocking the White Sox, but the bottom line is that they don't draw the interest nationwide that many other teams do, including the Cubs. So expect Baseball Tonight to be the way it is, or bang your head against a wall continuously because you don't understand its purpose. It is entertainment. It is not supposed to be 100% balanced. That is not its purpose.

What surprises me is the consistent # of people that get offended by it, yet keep watching. One definition of stupid is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

Everyone is an "expert" until something out of the ordinary happens.

Point was made earlier, the season where the Royals were living in dreamland, the following year they were considered a dangerous team by all of the "experts", and when the Royals fell flat on their faces where were these experts to take credit for missing the mark?

Experts love to take credit when their "guess" turns out right, but mostly ignore what they've said in the past if they are wrong.

-y2

As was mentioned before, I watch ESPN for highlights and breaking news. I like listening to the opinions of the BBTN guys, but I don't put their opinions before anyone else's. It's comedy as much as anything else.

Most analysts are just reactionary or front-running anyway. It's very rare that any of them will accurately pick a sleeper team.