Alex Cintron

SkokieSox

From cbssportsline

Arizona Diamondbacks Updated:04/29/2005

Diamondbacks infielder Alex Cintron is drawing serious interest from the Cubs, according to Chicago's Daily Herald and the newspaper speculates the White Sox could get interested as well.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SEALgep @ May 1, 2005 -> 08:11 PM)
From cbssportsline

Diamondbacks infielder Alex Cintron is drawing serious interest from the Cubs, according to Chicago's Daily Herald and the newspaper speculates the White Sox could get interested as well.

Ha, they speculate we could get interested :lol:

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 1, 2005 -> 08:32 PM)
This article would have made more sense for us about 2 to 3 months ago.

With our depth, or lack thereof, in the middle infield, and our lack of a true utility IFer, we will still have some interest in him.

We don't need a move, because we have all kinds of guys that can play that...but why have 2 guys that play 4 positions when you can have 1 guy that plays all 4? That is an extra roster spot that could become needed.

QUOTE(He_Gawn @ May 1, 2005 -> 09:17 PM)
I love this guy. Pick him up!

the truth here is we dont need someone else that will screw things up, we need to move someone down when big frank gets back (hopefully soon) and bringing another utility wont be useful

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ May 1, 2005 -> 08:34 PM)
With our depth, or lack thereof, in the middle infield, and our lack of a true utility IFer, we will still have some interest in him.

We don't need a move, because we have all kinds of guys that can play that...but why have 2 guys that play 4 positions when you can have 1 guy that plays all 4?  That is an extra roster spot that could become needed.

Pablo. Honestly, right now there isn't much to mess with on this team, I think Frank Thomas might be our big move this year, honestly. Obviously injuries can and will happen but there is a lot of depth everywhere to get through something like that happening.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 1, 2005 -> 09:06 PM)
Pablo.  Honestly, right now there isn't much to mess with on this team, I think Frank Thomas might be our big move this year, honestly.  Obviously injuries can and will happen but there is a lot of depth everywhere to get through something like that happening.

I guess Pablo's alright

I agree that earlier this year the Cintron move may have been something to consider, but we seem to have a well balanced and cohesive team. Any additions would have to be able to fit in with the team as it is built right now. Plus we shouldn't put much credence in these speculative newspaper statements. Every middle infielder out there would seem to be of interest to the Sox, if we did.

Plus Frank Thomas ain't going anywhere except back into the Sox DH spot when he is healthy. We need that bat and his leadership. Frank would be tearing the league up right now if he was able to play. The man knows this could be the year and is itching to be a productive member of the team.

Edited by elrockinMT

I'm all for keeping who we got, and not bringing anyone in that can influence the team attitude right now. Ozuna is our super utility guy, and quite honestly, Lopez looked quite relaxed and fluid at SS today. Don't tell me that he didnt hit for s*** in AAA, as long as he can move the runners over, play a solid SS when Uribe is out/DL, then I am happy.

QUOTE(SEALgep @ May 1, 2005 -> 09:11 PM)
From cbssportsline

They are about 4 months behind Soxtalk with this newsflash.

Right now we have 2 guys on the bench who can play the infield - Harris and Ozuna. We have 1 backup catcher who can also play a little 3b (and it seems...also pitch?) We will have a backup 1b when Frank gets back. We have 1 backup outfielder in Timo, another backup outfielder in Everett who also does some DH work, and until Frank gets back, we have Gload who can also play 1b or DH.

This team is loaded in terms of quality reserves. There is not a single reason to even consider trading for another one unless someone ends up seriously hurt - it would hardly be an upgrade over what we have now, and there's just no roster spot open. Hell, I could see us being a team that has reserves to trade - both Thomas and Everett have contracts that end this season, and I can picture teams (Houston, Atlanta) giving up a ton for an additional bat.

There are only 2 reasons why we seem so banged up - 1, a string of bad luck, such as A.J.'s toe getting hit, and 2; the Bean(e) ball war that Oakland launched...hitting Pablo & Crede repeatedly & pitching so far in on Uribe that he pulled a muscle getting out of the way. Give us a few more days and things will suddenly correct themselves.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ May 2, 2005 -> 12:41 AM)
Discussing the merits of Pedro Lopez and Pablo Ozuna makes me want to see Rafael Furcal here next year

Pedro Lopez was selected as the best fielding player in AAA I believe, so I think there is some merit to his skill. Ozuna seems to be a player that just might now be getting his shot and coming through in the role. Im happy with how the team is now, but if Cintron wants to come to the sox, thats fine too.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 2, 2005 -> 01:02 AM)
Right now we have 2 guys on the bench who can play the infield - Harris and Ozuna.  We have 1 backup catcher who can also play a little 3b (and it seems...also pitch?)  We will have a backup 1b when Frank gets back.  We have 1 backup outfielder in Timo, another backup outfielder in Everett who also does some DH work, and until Frank gets back, we have Gload who can also play 1b or DH.

This team is loaded in terms of quality reserves.  There is not a single reason to even consider trading for another one unless someone ends up seriously hurt - it would hardly be an upgrade over what we have now, and there's just no roster spot open.  Hell, I could see us being a team that has reserves to trade - both Thomas and Everett have contracts that end this season, and I can picture teams (Houston, Atlanta) giving up a ton for an additional bat.

There are only 2 reasons why we seem so banged up - 1, a string of bad luck, such as A.J.'s toe getting hit, and 2; the Bean(e) ball war that Oakland launched...hitting Pablo & Crede repeatedly & pitching so far in on Uribe that he pulled a muscle getting out of the way.  Give us a few more days and things will suddenly correct themselves.

No, we have a backup 1B in Ross Gload when he gets back. I venture to guess it would be Konerko, Gload, Ozuna, Iguchi, Widger, and Dye at the very least before Frank. I don't want to see Frank in the field this season with the ankle the way it is. Only way I can see Frank in the field is if he is crushing the ball and it's interleague.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 2, 2005 -> 09:46 AM)
Which way does Cintron hit?  We need a RH bat off of the bench really.  I would like the move if it didn't cost us much, but as guys get healthy it is nothing we HAVE to do.

Switch.

Guest JimH

Very logical the Cubs would be interested in Cintron.

In terms of the White Sox, they tried to pry him away during the winter as Yas stated. One thing about Williams, he is always looking to upgrade.

Given that, and given that Cintron is a talent whom the White Sox like, it is certainly possible.

The posts made about team chemistry have a lot of merit, and the bench has been serviceable. Tough to complain about the job Ozuna and Harris have done, the occasional screw up by both notwithstanding. Both have contributed and the team has a great record.

The fact remains though ... Cintron is a desireable talent and would provide excellent insurance, especially at SS and 3B.

Two things to consider here, the first is Arizona likes Cintron a lot and he will not come cheaply. The other is, if Cintron comes on board somebody has to go.

Another thing to consider when looking at the Sox bench is, who can play 1B. I guess Widger can and since Ozuna did it I suppose he can as well. Williams has once again stated he wants the flexibility of Frank Thomas being able to play 1B for the interleague games (if he's even ready by then). They have not shut the door on Frank ever playing 1B on occasion, whether we agree or disagree.

Right now, the White Sox are not an ideal situation for Cintron either. But I can definitely see if AZ moves him, it will be to an AL team.

For the record, I like Cintron a lot and he is better insurance at SS and 3B than Ozuna. In no way do I mean to minimize the abilities and contributions of Ozuna or Harris but Cintron would be a welcome addition.