Frank feels better,may not need minor-league rehab

Jabroni

"Still no date for Thomas' return

But hurt slugger feels better, may not need minor-league rehab"

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...ack=2&cset=true

TORONTO -- White Sox general manager Ken Williams appears willing to back off early prerequisites for Frank Thomas' return.

But a date for Thomas to come back remains in question, even after Thomas reported improvement.

Thomas underwent his third session of shock wave treatment Thursday on his surgically repaired left ankle. He appeared to move around well while fielding ground balls during batting practice with his teammates before Friday night's game at Toronto.

"It was intense," Thomas said of the treatment. "It felt pretty good."

Thomas said he will undergo his next round of treatment May 16 and hopes he could start a minor-league rehabilitation assignment shortly after—provided he can run the bases without any limitations.

"As we said in spring training, it's his call," Williams said. "He has to tell us how he feels from day to day until he can go out and run and do those things that allow him to play in games."

Sox officials have declined repeatedly to set a timetable for Thomas' return because of the delicate nature of his injury, the fact he hasn't played in a game since July 6, the subsequent inactivity and the potential for setbacks. That included some tendinitis and scar tissue that Thomas experienced last month.

The tendinitis caused Thomas to suspend his rehab for a few days at different junctures while the scar tissue around the operated area caused discomfort and limited Thomas' range of motion.

He also took a cortisone shot three weeks ago to alleviate nagging pain and couldn't resume workouts for a week.

Thomas since has regained his hitting stroke and appears to be moving forward without any lingering problems.

That could alter Williams' initial plan to have Thomas get about 100 at-bats on a minor-league rehab assignment at Triple-A Charlotte.

Williams seemed willing to back off his previous prerequisite as long as Thomas displays the skills needed to perform on a full-time basis.

"If he shows all the things he needs to do, we certainly don't want to bring him back into this situation and not have the expected production that goes along with having him in the lineup," Williams said.

The Sox initially wanted Thomas ready to play first base because they play interleague games at Colorado and San Diego on June 6-12 in which a designated hitter won't be used.

But Thomas might not be ready by then, making that requirement moot.

Copyright © 2005, The Chicago Tribune

Please, no more Frank at 1st base. :headshake

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 8, 2005 -> 02:58 AM)
"Still no date for Thomas' return

But hurt slugger feels better, may not need minor-league rehab"

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...ack=2&cset=true

Please, no more Frank at 1st base. :headshake

But Frank hits better when he's at first.

I agree. I don't want Frank anywhere near the field. Good to hear he's doing pretty well. Hurry back soon big fella!

But Frank hits better when he's at first.

I agree.  I don't want Frank anywhere near the field.  Good to hear he's doing pretty well.  Hurry back soon big fella!

As important as it is for Frank to get 100% healthy, it's also important for Carl to shag a ton of balls in LF and get better at fielding the position. Ozzie has already started Pods in CF one game this season so he obviously trusts him there. This lineup could be sick once Frank gets back...

CF Podsednik

2B Iguchi

DH Frank

LF Everett

1B Konerko

RF Rowand / Dye

C Pierzynski

3B Crede

SS Uribe

:o :o :o

Edited by Jabroni

If there's going to be any rust at all with Frank, and there will be, send him down to AAA for a week. The offense seems to be picking it up anyways. Still, it's going to be great to have him back, that OBP stat will really go up after his return.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 8, 2005 -> 03:37 AM)
As important as it is for Frank to get 100% healthy, it's also important for Carl to shag a ton of balls in LF and get better at fielding the position.  Ozzie has already started Pods in CF one game this season so he obviously trusts him there.  This lineup could be sick once Frank gets back...

CF Podsednik

2B Iguchi

DH Frank

LF Everett

1B Konerko

RF Rowand / Dye

C Pierzynski

3B Crede

SS Uribe

:o  :o  :o

Well I disagree...

He didn't trust Pods enough to play CF when Mr No Range was there friday and he was still sitting in LF.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 8, 2005 -> 01:28 PM)
If there's going to be any rust at all with Frank, and there will be, send him down to AAA for a week. The offense seems to be picking it up anyways. Still, it's going to be great to have him back, that OBP stat will really go up after his return.

He should be in AAA for more than a week. He may not stay for a month, but he needs AB's. He hasn't played sine last July. Spring training exists for a reason.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ May 8, 2005 -> 07:53 AM)
Well I disagree...

He didn't trust Pods enough to play CF when Mr No Range was there friday and he was still sitting in LF.

Oz also likes to guys get in comfort zones...hence the reason his lineup is generally filled out by position and not by who is hitting there.

He does not want to even try to f*** with Pods and put him in CF for one game, and while you would figure one game would not mess with him that much, Ozzie may feel differently.

heard Williams on the radio this morning, said Frank is coming along and would most likely be ready for a rehab assignment in charlotte, by the end of next week. Williams will go to charlotte to watch Frank and they will chat regularly and make a determination when to come back. Knowing that time frame and only guessing, he will probably be back by interleague play in June. (AZ, Dodgers). If this is the case I can see Everett and dye platooning, if dye still struggles

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 8, 2005 -> 11:39 AM)
I would like to see Frank in the field. I trust him more than Pauly at hitting.

Frank's had two season ending injuries occur while playing defense. He can't hit if he's on the DL. Leave Frank as DH, or on the bench vs. NL.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 8, 2005 -> 11:39 AM)
I would like to see Frank in the field. I trust him more than Pauly at hitting.

I trust Pauly more than him in the field. We need Paul for his........defense.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ May 8, 2005 -> 07:53 AM)
Well I disagree...

That's just completely wrong. Ozzie has kept his subs in the same spots instead of moving guys around this whole year, that's just how he's doing things.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ May 8, 2005 -> 10:37 AM)
He does not want to even try to f*** with Pods and put him in CF for one game, and while you would figure one game would not mess with him that much, Ozzie may feel differently.

Pods has already played in CF this season.

I think a 2 week rehab down in Charlotte would be perfect for Frank to get his batting eye and swing in sync....Then when Frank comes off the DL, pencil him at 3, start Everett in RF vs a right hander with Dye off the bench in the 8th as a defensive replacement or pinch hitter and if a lefty is starting, start Dye in RF game with Carl to pinch hit in the 8th or 9th....To me, Frank will be that one thing that sparks the Sox to an '04 Cardinals style runaway :gosox3:

QUOTE(greg775 @ May 9, 2005 -> 09:15 PM)
What's Frank gonna do when he keeps fouling balls off his left instep like all hitters do? Do you think he's pretty much done?

get a Barry Bonds esque padding of armor to put around it....I'm sure he can find something that will absorb more than 50% of a direct hit.

Ozzie was quoted in both papers today as referring to Frank's return as mid-June. Saying he only worries about him running. He's swinging the bat well. When it returns it makes the team substantially better.

Frank came up in discussions of what the White Sox need & might try to get

before the deadline. Tampa is trying to move Aubrey Huff & it didn't seem the White Sox were interested. They mentioned role players & right away I thought of Tony G.