Sox @ Rangers -- 5/29/05

QUOTE(AirScott @ May 29, 2005 -> 08:35 PM)
and all those hits happened late, normally the time that a reliever might come in.

Ozzie has proved in his time here that he's going to put the game in the hands of the starter. Hell, the one time he actually took out a pitcher too early (McCarthy last Sunday), his decision lost us the game.

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ May 29, 2005 -> 08:36 PM)
0-5 for him today?

He's looked like s*** recently. I love Pods, but he needs to get back to hitting the ball hard on the ground/line. He's done his best Willie Harris impression lately.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ May 29, 2005 -> 01:35 PM)
A little home cooking will be nice, I've got to admit I have been over-reacting, but that's what you do when you are die-hard.  18 of the next 24, with games against the Tribe, Colorado and the rest of the bad NL West should get us rolling again.

I believe we also play the Padres, and they're just about as hot as Texas right now. The Diamondbacks are also playing quite well. The only "easy" mark for us is a set in Colorado.

QUOTE(jerseysox @ May 29, 2005 -> 03:35 PM)
i agree. a paulie who hits .234, can not stand!!! (bad seinfeld reference there).

but consider this -- it is still may. i hate using this example, but derek jeter was hitting something .013 after may, and wound up hitting nearly .300 for the year.  yeah, yeah, paul konerko isn't derek jeter, but you get the idea.

also, paulie's protection in the lineup this year has been garbage. you might as well hit me behind him. with frank back tomorrow, hopefully he stays healthy and helps paulie get some more pitches to hit.

i'm just not ready to turn on paulie after the numbers he's put up in the past with the lineup he's been hitting in this year.

and i'll bet ANYTHING paul konerko makes the all-star team.

and for the record, no, i'm not related to paul konerko.  :D

Jeter hit something like .330 June through September. if Paulie hits .280 here on out with the same power numbers I'm satisfied.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 29, 2005 -> 08:35 PM)
If Uribe follows the Dye pattern...He won't have a hit for the next 4 games.

What happened to the Podsednik from about a week ago?  He looks terrible up there right now.  It'd be lovely to see him take a walk.  Just 1.

I'm telling you, he looks awfully tired up there. His bat is dragging through the zone. Luckily, he was able to find some holes on flares in the last week to avoid any 0-20s, etc.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ May 29, 2005 -> 02:35 PM)
A little home cooking will be nice, I've got to admit I have been over-reacting, but that's what you do when you are die-hard.  18 of the next 24, with games against the Tribe, Colorado and the rest of the bad NL West should get us rolling again.

The tribe wont be as easy of a mark. Their offense has been heating up lately.

QUOTE(jerseysox @ May 29, 2005 -> 01:35 PM)
and i'll bet ANYTHING paul konerko makes the all-star team.

If Paulie makes the all-star team without getting his average back up to .260-.270, then the only reason he's making it is as penance for that absolutely awful choice Torre made last year, in picking Giambi over Thomas/Konerko.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 29, 2005 -> 08:37 PM)
I believe we also play the Padres, and they're just about as hot as Texas right now.  The Diamondbacks are also playing quite well.  The only "easy" mark for us is a set in Colorado.

With our hitting, there's no such thing as an easy game. Nearly every game we played against KC was a close game this year, and we easily could have lost about 4 of the 6 games we beat them.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 29, 2005 -> 03:36 PM)
Ozzie has proved in his time here that he's going to put the game in the hands of the starter.  Hell, the one time he actually took out a pitcher too early (McCarthy last Sunday), his decision lost us the game.

yeah I forget that Dubois hit that HR off Vizcaino. so he could still have an extra 3 wins if he would pull the other starters like he did McCarthy. you have a bullpen for a reason, so hold leads, so why not use it when your starters get themselves into trouble late?

QUOTE(fathom @ May 29, 2005 -> 01:38 PM)
I'm telling you, he looks awfully tired up there.  His bat is dragging through the zone.  Luckily, he was able to find some holes on flares in the last week to avoid any 0-20s, etc.

Has Pods been hurting at all? Any chance that Hamstring is still bothering him? He had a day off in Anaheim and another yesterday.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 29, 2005 -> 02:29 PM)
So if they lose this game it's a 4-5 road trip, they lost 1 1/2 games to the Twins in the standings over that time period, and have their next 18 of 24 games at home.

Jim,

I hope that is an optimistic statement from you.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 29, 2005 -> 08:41 PM)
Takatsu is officially our mop up guy now I guess.

As well he should be. Every time I look up and he's pitching, another Sox outfielder is going to the track to catch the ball.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ May 29, 2005 -> 03:35 PM)

Can't call the NL West bad. The Sox get 1st place Arizona & 3rd place LA Dodgers at home, and get 2nd place San Diego and cellar dwellar Colorado on the road.