*Official* Eric Chavez Speculation/Dream Thread

GreatScott82

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 03:03 PM)
... his dogs he wants williams to take care of.

Is it in the contract by name that Billy Beane has to take care of his dogs? :D

Seriously folks, take a look at that f***ing contract breakdown and tell me

a.) it's worth the giving him all that money over these next 6 years

b.) it would only cost Crede and McCarthy.

Let's put this thing to rest already.....

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(jerseysox @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 01:34 PM)
He does not clog the bases and can steal? Have you ever watched this guy run? I think he gets about 5 steals a year. Big deal.

Actually he's been around 6-8 every year and playing in Oakland that's actually a lot.

Wow! I really wish I could have heard this. Most guys are so PC about everything. I think and hope something is going on. That's two appearances in two days. He wants out fast, he's trying to force Beane's hand. I like the fact that he sounded cocky about how his hitting will get better. It makes me think steroids were not an issue with him. I have been and continue to be on ( if not lead) the "let's get Chavez" bandwagon.

Don't you guys think that Beane might be able to get a better offer than Crede and McCarthy  for chavez within the next 6 years?  :rolly

Heh, one of the reasons Beane would be trading Chavez would be to dump his salary. Trading him in the next 6 years means paying more of his contract. :rolly

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 02:07 PM)
Is it in the contract by name that Billy Beane has to take care of his dogs?  :D

a) it's worth the giving him all that money over these next 6 years

B) it would only cost Crede and McCarthy.

I disapproved of this trade even before I knew Chavez was guaranteed 78 million over 7 years. Obviously, this development doesn't help sway my opinion.

No one can justify the trade now. For this kind of contract, you'd expect consistent production. Definitely not what Chavez is showing now.

Serves Beane right for using his computer to predict production over a long period of time. He'll have fun rebuilding with an 11million dollar player at 3B. I hope no one humors trade deals for Chavez and let's Oakland rot with his salary.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

I thought about it... I dont mind giving up B-Mac as the main prospect to land Chavez... Guys id like to protect our Sweeney, Anderson, and Gio... other than that I say do what it takes to get Chavez.

Not saying I dont like B-Mac but its obvioulsy going to require him... and Im willing to lose him.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 02:07 PM)
Is it in the contract by name that Billy Beane has to take care of his dogs?  :D

a.) it's worth the giving him all that money over these next 6 years

b.) it would only cost Crede and McCarthy.

Ok, lets put it to rest, we can pay a Gold Glove all star 3B below market value for the duration of his contract which extends through the typical peak years, or we could be stuck with jack s*** when Crede walks......uh yeah lets put it to bed that we should get Chavez.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 03:12 PM)
Heh, one of the reasons Beane would be trading Chavez would be to dump his salary.  Trading him in the next 6 years means paying more of his contract. :rolly

Beane will not trade him while his trade value is at an all time low. No way in hell he gets traded this year unless he gets on fire for the next month and a half.

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 01:53 PM)
Same here maybe even later like hours before the deadline

Kenny never makes his big move right before the deadline. If the sox are going to make a big move it'll be done within the next month, imo. He could make a smaller move hours before the deadline like Contreras last year but if Chavez is going to be traded to the sox it'll be within the month, no doubt in my mind.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 12:51 PM)
Here is the scouting report on Chavez, this sounds like a player that would fit into what we are trying to accomplish on this team.

Hitting

As natural a hitter as one will find, Chavez has good reactions and ever-improving strike-zone judgment, as his quantum leap in on-base percentage in 2004 reflects. He hits to all fields. In a season of statistical quirks for Oakland, Chavez hit 49 points higher against southpaws than righthanders last summer, but slugged 30 points higher versus righties. Over his career, Chavez has been a better performer with runners aboard or in scoring position, and a .340 hitter with the bases loaded.

Baserunning & Defense

Chavez has excellent speed and is a smart baserunner. He can steal a base and easily move from first to third when circumstances permit. Defensively, Chavez can pick the hot corner with the best of them. Watching him on a short hop, or turning a 360, zeroing in on first base and gunning a throw to retire a runner can be nothing short of breath-taking.

I hate to quote myself, but yes yes yes yes yes

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 03:14 PM)
Ok, lets put it to rest, we can pay a Gold Glove all star 3B below market value for the duration of his contract which extends through the typical peak years, or we could be stuck with jack s*** when Crede walks......uh yeah lets put it to bed that we should get Chavez.

At any costs???

How about we trade Crede for something small and get a stop-gap like Joe Randa?

Don't you think that Billy Beane can get a much better offer over the next SIX YEARS for Eric Chavez than a struggling Crede and top prospect?

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 03:18 PM)
..and to you that is worth 7 years $78 million???

Really doesn't matter what it's worth to anyone here..

I have to say though.. if $$ is the reason this deal is not done.. I will be pissed.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 03:12 PM)
Heh, one of the reasons Beane would be trading Chavez would be to dump his salary.  Trading him in the next 6 years means paying more of his contract. :rolly

Who says Oakland is going to dump salary? They still need someone to market in order to draw people to the ballparks. Beane chose Chavez over Giambi and Tejada. With his ego, do you really think he would just give up on Chavez just for Crede and McCarthy?

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 02:18 PM)
At any costs???

How about we trade Crede for something small and get a stop-gap like Joe Randa?

Don't you think that Billy Beane can get a much better offer over the next SIX YEARS  for Eric Chavez than a struggling Crede and top prospect?

Any cost, that is below market value for a player in a position that we desperately need, yes I would do it in a second. If your main argument to this is what will that do to our payroll, and your love for Joe Randa, we are never going to see Eye to eye. Because if you think Randa is a better player you are crazy. If you think Randa is better in the long run, you have got to be kidding me. This makes sense, he basically takes Kong's place in the payroll, this is close to what it will cost to keep kong and sign Crede in arbitration. If we dont sign Crede then we have no 3B, got it?

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 03:04 PM)
Average won't matter as long as the power numbers (HR/RBI) are there. And they are.

Doesn't matter. He will not get ten million plus if he is hitting in the .220's with fourty home runs.

I disapproved of this trade even before I knew Chavez was guaranteed 78 million over 7 years. Obviously, this development doesn't help sway my opinion.

No one can justify the trade now. For this kind of contract, you'd expect consistent production. Definitely not what Chavez is showing now.

Serves Beane right for using his computer to predict production over a long period of time. He'll have fun rebuilding with an 11million dollar player at 3B. I hope no one humors trade deals for Chavez and let's Oakland rot with his salary.

He's guaranteed $66 million over 6 years. It's still a lot but let's be accurate.